UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say that I am still delighted with my Duster Laureate (April 14).

However I have become fed up with the Medianav.

The radio is OK.

The bluetooth phone connection is just about OK if I shout.

The Bluetooth Media is a disappointment. I cannot listen to it because of the intermittent pauses ruining my listening pleasure. I cannot find any answer to this and Dacia blame the phone manufacturers ! All my other Bluetooth linked speakers at home connect seamlessly so why not the Medianav.

The satnav is poor. Despite being set for 'quickest' route it easily becomes confused and wants to take me on roundabout routes. I will be following a route and suddenly, approaching a roundabout, it will tell me to return in the direction I have come from. After taking the roundabout and selecting the road to my destination the satnav will decide that I should continue along that route. It also updates pathetically slowly in town, leading to missed turns.

I have to buy updates for the map. Most other manufacturers give you the option of free updates for a fee. I cannot work out why I should buy an update that is already months and months old.

I cannot update the Medianav on my Apple computer. I have to find someone with a windows PC and borrow that. It's the 21st century for goodness sake.

So the Medianav is now used for radio only. My trusty TomTom (with unlimited map updates) is back in the car.

Anyone else fed up with theirs?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I agree, but haven't had all the same problems. My biggest complaint is having to hunt down a Windows computer to update. Mine takes a few minutes to connect to my iPhone, but does so without difficulty (most of the time). The SatNav works pretty well here in Hungary, but the voice prompts for turns are annoying. I don't need to be told every 100 meters from 800 meters out for each turn, even sharp bends in the main road.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Got tho say having had similar devices in both Ford and Jaguar cars that the Dacia MediaNav is an excellent piece of kit. Bluetooth phone connection is perfect, as it using it for music on my phone. SatNav is also pretty good in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Thanks Lodesman - You are making me even happier with my choice of Ambiance spec Duster!

I bought (the cheapest) Navman F10 about seven years ago when my work started to take me to far flung places at stupid o'clock in the morning.

I've changed my car twice since; my wife has two cars (Toyota MR2 for the summer and Aygo for the winter); and I also have a pair of motorbikes which I tour on. I hate motorways so usually look for a more 'interesting' route...and I like retracing my steps from time to time. I'm so used to transferring the Navman from one vehicle to another that I couldn't imagine having to update the maps and navigate (pun intended) the menus of several different units.

From talking to a number of friends (who tend to go for top spec cars) they always like the idea of inbuilt satnav etc. but usually find the sort of shortcomings I'm reading about with the medianav.

I also picked up a set of UK & Europe map updates via ebay a couple of years ago, so I don't feel too out of date.

My only worry is which Navman to buy if/when the F10 eventually dies...

Joe

p.s. haven't used the Ambiance's Bluetooth, but my teenage daughter seems to think its ok.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for your responses.

The media glitch is with my iPhone - I understand others have experienced it too - The iPhone connects readily with the unit through Bluetooth for phone calls but the media music playback is awful with intermittent pauses.

I've pretty well given up on the satnav as my TomTom is so much better (and the updates are free). I don't see why I should pay whatever it is - £80 - for an update that is only available on a computer operating system I don't have anyway.

I also have had to disable the speed camera warnings because the racket as you approach a camera is deafening. There is no way I can find of reducing the volume of these warnings.

I'm only grumpy because this is the first built-in satnav system I have owned and I was expecting better performance.

Still. you live and learn, it'll save me money on my next car as I doubt if I would bother with a built in unit again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do you really need to update it that often? Surely roads don't change that much during the life of your car? I've had no problems using my memory card or my android phone. As for noise when approaching cameras... If you don't need your sat nav on, don't activate it and it won't bother you. I love it.. In case you hadn't guessed!

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I think all built in sat navs are a waste of time and money, I paid (a lot) for a Pioneer unit to put in my Duster two years ago and the maps are hopelessly out of date as proved last weekend going to Nottingham for Dacia Day. Finding map upgrades for it are £120 I said sod that and bought a 5" Garmin with lifetime free map upgrades and live traffic for £80.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you really need to update it that often? Surely roads don't change that much during the life of your car? I've had no problems using my memory card or my android phone. As for noise when approaching cameras... If you don't need your sat nav on, don't activate it and it won't bother you. I love it.. In case you hadn't guessed!

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
I say quite unequivocally "No you do not". Latterly, Jaguar were charging about £135 for a map upgrade for my last car - an X-Type - and so when I sold it at 8 years old it still had the original map database. And it was't any real problem - yes the odd bit of new road but nothing anywhere near enough to get me lost. Don't waste your money - just keep you eyes on the road signs as well as listening to your satnav

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...I said sod that and bought a 5" Garmin with lifetime free map upgrades and live traffic for £80.
...that sounds like the solution when my old Navman dies: buy a cheap (in price, not quality) Garmin: I already have a hand-held Garmin GPS, which means that next time I fall off my bike up a mountain and fracture/dislocate my shoulder I'll be able to tell the Coast Guard where to send the helicopter!

Joe

Reactions: Troute

·
Registered
288 Posts
...that sounds like the solution when my old Navman dies: buy a cheap (in price, not quality) Garmin: I already have a hand-held Garmin GPS, which means that next time I fall off my bike up a mountain and fracture/dislocate my shoulder I'll be able to tell the Coast Guard where to send the helicopter!

Joe
Yeh, but if their helicopter is fitted with a MediaNav they might not find you !!!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Yeh, but if their helicopter is fitted with a MediaNav they might not find you !!!
I think that's why the ambulance couldn't get to me in the first place...despite searching for almost 3 hours...

...and bear in mind I was 200+ miles from home, in a different member state so I couldn't really give explicit directions...

...oh how we laughed about it afterwards!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have updated my navigation and agree it is not as good as Tom Tom, however when I ignore the instructions I am amazed at how quickly it responds to the new direction. No traffic updates is a bind so TT is still in use. I have just had a Satnav in a new Skoda Octavia, free updates although they take hours to down load (includes Easter Europe & Russia) the navigation is far worse than the Duster and although it has traffic updates they are often two days behind or showing delays weeks on end.

The Bluetooth works well, address book doesn't understand +44 or +34 codes.

Music, I run off a small USB dongle (tiny thing) that doesn't block my view of the clock (RHDrive)

Radio good but no digital :(

Would i have a built in Media again, Yeh well I did after the Skoda, but I did check it out first. Rate it 7/10.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do like the medianav except for the satnav which I found to be a big disappointment compared to my 6 year old tom tom. I find the most annoying thing is when you approach a roundabout the vehicle icon does not stay pointing straight ahead as it does on all the other satnavs I've used, instead it turns in the direction your turning into on the roundabout so looking at the screen the icon has turned 90 degrees. This becomes confusing and it's not easy to see which exist you should be taking. Surely the scenery should move around & your vehicle icon position should stay fixed at all times. Then it all seems to snap back to right itself again to the fixed forward position. It only does this on roundabouts, I've given up on the satnav & reluctantly gone back to my old tomtom. Can't dacia fix this problem with an update? Come on dacia sort it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts