UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me my Duster's clutch doesn't feel like it used to. Just doesn't seem to bite firmly. Just the slightest hint of a judder me thinks and also seems like the take-up is at the very end of pedal travelled. Might be just me losing my touch, but I shall take her in for a check (can't be before 2nd week Jan). Anyone else with similar experience/thoughts?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Seems to me my Duster's clutch doesn't feel like it used to. Just doesn't seem to bite firmly. Just the slightest hint of a judder me thinks and also seems like the take-up is at the very end of pedal travelled. Might be just me losing my touch, but I shall take her in for a check (can't be before 2nd week Jan). Anyone else with similar experience/thoughts?
I've had a similar experience but not on a duster sorry, you could check it yourself for a bit of piece of mind before you take it in.
Hope you find its nothing too serious.
I

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rather delayed update, but I am not so concerned afterall: Fluff's driver's seat had been adjusted all over the place due to others meddling over a period of time. Having found my seat's sweet-spot again, I find that clutch control is not so much of an an issue afterall! I seem to be back in control. Having driven so many unfamiliar cars without issue, wasn't expecting that, but heh - I find I can eject Fluff's into a stream of traffic confidently again!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Further to post #3: clutching confidence gone again. I'm back to situation where I daren't launch Fluffs into a tight stream of traffic for fear of fluffing full clutch engagement. Have given heads-up to dealer for my next annual service - booked for 1st week Sep.

In the mean time: Fluffs is a 4WD and, so, pull-away from stationary in 2nd gear is the norm, but I'm beginning to wonder whether this is taking it's toll on the clutch plate. Full engagement of the clutch was once a snappy affair requiring no thought/concentration whatsoever, but just 21k miles on it's a very different matter. Beginning to wonder whether Dacia under-engineered the 4WD clutch.

Any thoughts please (?) before I have to explain/demonstrate my concerns to my Dealer. (Experiences from 4WD owners would be particularly welcome, but any thoughts from any members/Dacia owners very welcome.)

Ta, R

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I don't Clutches aren't as reliable nowadays as they would have been say in the 90s, I don't ever recall any issue with a clutch on a car from back then, it's difficult for me to tell driving different vehicles all the time,yet our c max petrol is still on its same clutch, my wife is always late letting go from stationary (the most wearing time I've been told) and releases it slowly while accelerating though gears (general unessisary clutch abuse) yet it still remains strong and to my knowledge in the same bite point. and
Put her in a diesel from the same year and we would of probably needed a I few clutches and flywheels by now.
Hgvs are similar during my annual leave last year I left a perfectly operating truck, on my return I found the clutch almost at the top, and once on the road loaded it was slipping badly, the guy that covered me is a bit rough with everything, and this resulted in a destroyed clutch (to add to the bent siderails, scuffed bald Tyrewalls, mirror covers missing, massive scrape down the upper cab and box) 5 years old and only the usual wear and tear, a month in the wrong hands and a hefty repair bill.
Unless it's slipping I don't think they'll do anything about it, or if their crafty they'll call it wear and tear and expect the owner to foot the bill, import saying dacia are like Citroën, but i had a similar headache with them on a Citroën c4, which went on for a month back and forth until they sent me to a Peugeot dealer(apparently they had an expert on the subject) nearby who miraculously found the fault to be a manufacturing defect with the dmf, which was covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope all turns out well with the clutch issue/

As an aside I too am just a little concerned by the start-in-second for my 4x4 so I have adopted a half-way approach which is probably easier here in France with our lower traffuc levls. Where there's no pressure I start in first and slip into second when the car's rolling. When I need to enter a traffic stream (fortunately rarely) it's a second gear start to get moving more quickly.
I'm more than happy with the Duster but as we need 4WD more for the odd field crossing and snowy interval than for serious off-roading the option of standard 4x2 gearing would be nice!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update as at 2 yr service:

Dealership mechanic didn't understand/agree with my assertion that the clutch take-up doesn't feel right any more in a 2nd gear pull-away.

If you're interested, I've painted the scenario on the Whistling Duster thread (today), but, in summary - the initial verdict is that if I can pull away in 1st gear OK (which I can) what's the problem? Dealership didn't know that 4WD drivers are recommended to use 2nd gear pull-away in normal circumstances! They have been re-educated!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hmm.

My Logan has had a high biting point since new, its the one thing that really bugs me. When I get back into the Multi, the biting point cuts quite low.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Hmm.

My Logan has had a high biting point since new, its the one thing that really bugs me. When I get back into the Multi, the biting point cuts quite low.
Mr Flib'. There is nothing worse than a high/late bite point. Odd thing with my Duster 4WD though is that I can tell easily when the clutch is sufficiently engaged in 1st gear to fully lift-off on the clutch pedal and that is about mid-pedal travel. In 2nd gear (on my Duster) it will stall or judder if I fully lift off the pedal before anywhere near the end of pedal travel!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...Fluffs is a 4WD and, so, pull-away from stationary in 2nd gear is the norm, but I'm beginning to wonder whether this is taking it's toll on the clutch plate...
...a good friend of mine has warned me about setting off at very low revs, as the Duster is my first diesel and quite happily sets off with very little throttle, just by letting the clutch out...

...because it's my first diesel, it's also my first experience of the DMF - Dual Mass Flywheel - which acts as a shock absorber or buffer between the torquey (lumpy) diesel engine and smoother clutch/gearbox/final drive...

...at very low revs the DMF has to soak up a lot of 'lumps' from the engine, so I have been told to rev the engine a little before letting the clutch out...

...and those of you with 4WD who have been told to set off in 2nd might be getting a quicker/smoother start, but you may also be putting a lot more strain on your DMF too...

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Joe Crow

I'm not about to disagree with that, but Dacia says to use 2nd gear (normally).

Anyone know the cost of replacing a Duster diesel (4WD) clutch cos that might be one of the factors that determines whether I keep Fluffs or cut my losses!?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
@Joe Crow

I'm not about to disagree with that, but Dacia says to use 2nd gear (normally).

Anyone know the cost of replacing a Duster diesel (4WD) clutch cos that might be one of the factors that determines whether I keep Fluffs or cut my losses!?
...no worries - I was very careful with my use of words i.e. relaying what I had been told (but not telling others what to do), and suggesting that 4WD drivers 'may be' rather than 'are' putting more strain on the DMF...

...from my perspective - with the Duster being my first brand new car, and first diesel to boot - I am perplexed by having a new-fangled DMF, EGR, DFP etc. etc. which seem to me just another bunch of things which can go wrong at some point, after the car is out of warranty, although maybe the small print says they aren't covered in the first place!

...there seems to be a fine balance between 'do the maths' and 'caveat emptor'...

Joe

Reactions: arob.wk
1 - 12 of 12 Posts