UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had this issue for over a year now and three mechanics said its normal but its killing my engine.

Randomly, my emgine temperature light will come on and the coolant reservoir is empty but if I open the cap enough, it all comes rushing back into the container its housed in. But because it does that, it drains my fuel more too (or I could be imagining that). Last time it happened, I undid the cap and it was literally boiling and splashing everywhere with alot of steam from the coolant tank. It's a dacia sandero stepway 0.9 turbo 2013. Any help to save the poor engine will be really appreciated

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
Maybe you have an airlock in the heater matrix there is a bleed nipple see this topic with photos

Stepway diesel not getting warm

The other possibility is an air lock in the radiator due to your thermostat not opening. The system is normally pressurised when the engine is running so unless you are losing coolant it must be going somewhere, air is compressible water is not.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Many .9 tce suffer with the thermostat housing lifting off the gasket. My wife's sandero of 2013 registration did and it to slowly lost coolant.
A good anti leak agent was sufficient enough to stop it.
One way to diagnose it the above is to look down the right side of the engine to the engine undertray and see if it is wet. Or remove the undertray and shine a light upto the thermostat housing and look for evidence of a leak. It may just be coolant deposits on the hoses.
Avoid removing the expansion bottle cap whilst hot.

·
Registered
Stepway '17 & Amb' '13 both TCe90
91 Posts
If coolant "rushes" back to the header tank when the filler cap is lifted off it's possibly because a bubble of air at increased pressure due to the heated coolant expands as the filler/pressure is released and pushed a tidal wave of coolant towards the expansion bottle.
You could try running the engine from cold to hot with the coolant cap removed to see if any air escapes into the expansion bottle, sometimes you can see bubbles. If you can squeeze/pump the top and bottom hoses as the engine runs to see if you can dislodge and air pockets. But, your best bet is to search out Daedalus' air bleed nipples and ensure the coolant system is completely filled.
Running a coolant system with an air-lock is a recipe for disaster.
My daughter's 2013 Tce 0.9 had a weep from the top radiator hose which was surprisingly difficult to find. Give your engine 'jolly severe looking at' with a bright light.
But, if you had a leak it's unlikely that the coolant would expand back into the expansion bottle as the coolant would just be pushed out of the leak and be wasted.
The other possibility is that some combustion gases are escaping into the coolant galleries in the block from a blown head gasket or a crack. There are methods of detecting this Google: combustion gases in coolant + detection but it may be better to go to a garage with the kit and ask them to check.
Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If coolant "rushes" back to the header tank when the filler cap is lifted off it's possibly because a bubble of air at increased pressure due to the heated coolant expands as the filler/pressure is released and pushed a tidal wave of coolant towards the expansion bottle.
You could try running the engine from cold to hot with the coolant cap removed to see if any air escapes into the expansion bottle, sometimes you can see bubbles. If you can squeeze/pump the top and bottom hoses as the engine runs to see if you can dislodge and air pockets. But, your best bet is to search out Daedalus' air bleed nipples and ensure the coolant system is completely filled.
Running a coolant system with an air-lock is a recipe for disaster.
My daughter's 2013 Tce 0.9 had a weep from the top radiator hose which was surprisingly difficult to find. Give your engine 'jolly severe looking at' with a bright light.
But, if you had a leak it's unlikely that the coolant would expand back into the expansion bottle as the coolant would just be pushed out of the leak and be wasted.
The other possibility is that some combustion gases are escaping into the coolant galleries in the block from a blown head gasket or a crack. There are methods of detecting this Google: combustion gases in coolant + detection but it may be better to go to a garage with the kit and ask them to check.
Good luck.
Valid points.
One often overlooked point with a small leak is that when the unit cools air can enter the system via the leak, a sort of reversing action. Over time it builds up to cause issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm fairly certain exhaust gases change the colour of the coolant from green/blue to orange, or at least they use to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
"Coolant colour change with exhaust gas contamination", be really nice if it did. I've not been able to verify this by serious Googling but I'm happy to believe it. I've seen reference to some fluid that can be bought that when the coolant is mixed with it changes colour, but that's not a coolant colour change on it's own? There are many different Youtube videos on this topic unfortunately most are American, whether these translate to the UK products, who can say?
Like so many things these days I'm completely confused by things automotive, antifreeze/coolant types and colours only being several of them.
In days of yore antifreeze was blue and eveyone was happy (maybe). Now it comes in a rainbow of colours and different chemical compounds (with different initials) and dire warnings about mixing them.
My Tce 0.9 engine has orange (I think) antifreeze but I top up (rarely) with Comma Xstream G30 which is red. Comma say it's absolutely fine, miscible and totally compatible with the Renault stuff that came with the car. If someone can throw an authoratitive insight into this I'd be really grateful.
I appreciate this is getting a little removed from No Star's original query but it is sort-of associated with it?
By the way, sausage is absolutely right; A minor leak will let air into a system, when the engine cools, that won't let liquid out.
It would be nice to know how No Star is getting on with this issue?

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
Modern cars use OAT with long change intervals. The not mixing is about old fashioned IATs not used for years in the UK. So unless you have a cherished car you do not use it anyway. The dye in OAT is to see it and judge concentration it does not indicate "type".

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi No Star,
It's been a while now have you managed to resolve this issue, it would be nice if you could spare a few mintes to enlighten us all.

·
Registered
Dacia Duster 2018 1.5 diesel 115 addblue and a 2013 Sandero 1.5 dci Ambience
78 Posts
sounds to me like a stuck or sticking thermostat and possibly the need for a new expansion tank cap they are both fairly cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts