UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

First post here.

Like many, I've never bought a new car before, but I'm seriously tempted by the Sandero to replace my ageing Saab 9-3 (197000 miles, 23mpg on a good day, £220 tax, £500 insurance...).

I do low mileage - approx 6000 per year. About 20% of that is short trips around town and the rest is weekend trips to Scotland or the Lake District on dual carriageway and country roads.

The Access spec suits me fine. I quite like the basic trim, although I would add a radio. It's a shame about the colour, but I can live with it.

However I've just done the sums on upgrading to the Ambience with Tci 90 engine. 8 mpg better and £90 a year cheaper on tax. Even at my mileage, that's £200/ year cheaper. That means it pays for the £1400 price difference from the Access in 7 years. As the fuel price increases, that can only get better.

Am I deluding myself, or does it make sense to upgrade to the Ambience - effectively for free?

Also, has anyone had the chance to drive either of the engines on country roads. I'm wondering how they are for overtaking.

Cheers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Countyclimber

I have ordered a Sandero Ambiance 1.2. I did think about the Tce90 engine but didn't really think the savings in fuel and road tax warranted the extra £800.

The 1.2 engine is old but very reliable I understand.

Ok so you will benefit after 7 years with the dci90 but that's quite a long time to re-coup your extra outlay.

If you are prepared to wait a bit longer as there is a longer waiting list, the Stepway ambiance is better value. For £7995 you get the Ambiance version with the Tce90 engine and a choice of colour.

Plus it's a nicer looking car.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It has also been mentioned here that low mileage and short trips are not good for these desiel engines and may cost you in the end with repairs. Now you also could be lucky and never have any issues too so something to bear in mind but petrol may be better for you.

Reactions: Nick

·
Nurse Juju
1,342 Posts
Hi guys, I feel stupid for asking this but is the Tce90 engine the same as a 1.5l petrol engine? :blink: I don't really understand this (Tce90 or Dci90) for the cars.

I've only ever understood, 1.2l, 1.5l, 1.6l engine etc etc.

Please help :mellow: .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi guys, I feel stupid for asking this but is the Tce90 engine the same as a 1.5l petrol engine? :blink: I don't really understand this (Tce90 or Dci90) for the cars.

I've only ever understood, 1.2l, 1.5l, 1.6l engine etc etc.

Please help :mellow: .
Quite simply TCe 90 is a petrol engine

dCi is a diesel engine

My understanding is the OP was referring to the difference between the naturally aspirated 1.2l engine vs the 0.9 turbo engine. Perhaps the "Tci" in the OP was an error.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've done some calculations myself. Whilst this is by no means a complete list or accurate (e.g. inflation) it offers some figures for comparison.

88WEYt1.png

Fuel Economy (Imperial): Rated fuel economy

Fuel Economy (Metric): Converted imperial fuel economy (mpg/4.54609)

Fuel price: price of one litre of fuel

Mileage cost: How much one mile will cost in fuel

Work days/year: How many work days I do in one year therefore how many trips the car will make round trip

Gallon to Litre Conversion: Imperial gallons not US-Customary for reference

Car Cost: The OTR price of the car for Access plus metallic paint and spare wheel for 1.2, TCe, dCi Ambiance models

Round-trip: Mile from house to workplace and back

Cost Round Trip: How much it costs in fuel to get to work from home and vice versa

Cost Work/year: How much it costs in fuel to get to work from home and vice versa...231 times in an average working year

Tax: VED rates for current year/per year in calculation

Insurance: Actual insurance quotes for said vehicles per year

Service: Average Halfords (Full Service & MOT + Major Service & MOT) / 2

Outlay year: Keep car for 10 years and scrap/give to family member for no charge. This is the Car Cost / 10

Total Year: Sum of all costs per year

Per month: Total Year / 12 to get total cost per month.

·
Nurse Juju
1,342 Posts
Quite simply TCe 90 is a petrol engine

dCi is a diesel engine

My understanding is the OP was referring to the difference between the naturally aspirated 1.2l engine vs the 0.9 turbo engine. Perhaps the "Tci" in the OP was an error.
Thank you Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Mark45 is right. I'm looking at the two petrol engines - the 1.2l and the Tce90. I don't think the diesel makes sense for such low mileage.

Looking at your figures, it seems you're looking at approx 8500 miles/ year, and you're depreciating at 10% a year. Is that right?

I've done a similar spreadsheet, which I'll post here for comparison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's mine. I've done things slightly differently, as you can see.

I'm depreciating at 15%/ year, and I've budgeted slightly less for servicing. I was intending to use my local independent, but I may have to revise that up if Dacia require a franchised service.

The key row is row 31, which is the monthly cost including fuel at my expected mileage, 5400 per year.

8580583863_ed9e3a64d5.jpg
cars by richardalderton, on Flickr

Interesting how the insurance adds up differently for us both.

For me, the Ambience TCe has a slightly higher premium than the Access, whereas for you it's slightly lower.
Conversely, they want to charge you a big increase for the dCi, but only a few quid for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Mark45 is right. I'm looking at the two petrol engines - the 1.2l and the Tce90. I don't think the diesel makes sense for such low mileage.

Looking at your figures, it seems you're looking at approx 8500 miles/ year, and you're depreciating at 10% a year. Is that right?

Yes that's right on both accounts. For the depreciation I thought I would keep the car for ten years and then at the end retain it or give to family member for free.

Alternatively if I managed to sell if for £500 at the end of 10 years, it would make about a £4.17 difference per month to all the figures.

(500/10)/12

Here's mine. I've done things slightly differently, as you can see.

I'm depreciating at 15%/ year, and I've budgeted slightly less for servicing. I was intending to use my local independent, but I may have to revise that up if Dacia require a franchised service.

The key row is row 31, which is the monthly cost including fuel at my expected mileage, 5400 per year.

cars by richardalderton, on Flickr

Interesting how the insurance adds up differently for us both.

For me, the Ambience TCe has a slightly higher premium than the Access, whereas for you it's slightly lower.
Conversely, they want to charge you a big increase for the dCi, but only a few quid for me.
Interesting to compare the difference between our insurance premiums.

I also noticed you compared it to your current car and potential second hand cars. You still thinking of buying a new Dacia in light of this information?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that's right on both accounts. For the depreciation I thought I would keep the car for ten years and then at the end retain it or give to family member for free.

Alternatively if I managed to sell if for £500 at the end of 10 years, it would make about a £4.17 difference per month to all the figures.

(500/10)/12

Interesting to compare the difference between our insurance premiums.

I also noticed you compared it to your current car and potential second hand cars. You still thinking of buying a new Dacia in light of this information?
I'm swaying back towards used car territory, particularly the Fabia in column S.

If I do the basic servicing myself, I could spend £500 a year on repairs and still come out ahead of the Sandero. The Fabia is considerably bigger, and of course has a much lower up-front cost.

The downsides are of course the potential for unreliability. And / or the engine blowing up after a week!

I have to admit, I'm tempted to leave the Sandero for a year, to see what second hand prices are like.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't take the tables provided by others for gospel as Auto Express has proved. The best choice is the dCi as you will be able to maintain the factory figures easier than the 2 petrol cars especially the Tce90 figures because the power you get out of the engine will not cope well with distance work and is rubbish for overtaking, plus the fact that the tyres if you replace like for like are more expensive, if you just replace with ordinary tyres you lose the benefit of the lower rolling resistance and lower tour miles per gallon. The DPF in a Renault/Dacia cleans at a lower temp than older DPF's so you do not require the motorway runs to keep them active.

Information gleaned from recognised sources.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts