UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Today at work a colleague asked me what make of car I'd bought , when I said a Dacia she said "Oh I've never heard of that it sounds like a a toy car" - what a cheek!!!! Then she asked what colour it was and when I said white she said she'd seen one on the carpark but that looked expensive and quite nice, when she pointed it out to me and I told her that was mine she looked amazed that this was the supposed "toy car" and then she just said "oh" !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm finding it interesting seeing people's reaction, particularly the brand snobs who would never buy a Dacia but you can tell they actually quite like it!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
117 Posts
LOL very funny.

I too can share a similar colleague situation.

When I was at work I overheard a new car buying conversation. I heard the listenee say "you do the maths" as a kind of joke or something and looked in my direction.

Secretly I was smiling to myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I told one of my work colleagues how much I paid for my Stepway, and his jaw hit the floor. There's simply nothing else out there that gives such good value for money. The reaction of some people to Dacia's arrival has been interesting - I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to find the company genuinely offensive. People have slagged off the cars no end and gone on about how you could get a really good secondhand car for similar money, which misses the whole point. If you're a petrolhead who wants to take on the risks of secondhand car ownership, sure, you can get a really luxurious and powerful car for the price of a Sandero, but I can't be bothered with the hassle. It's clear that Dacia's business model works, because you see loads of them all over the place.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I told one of my work colleagues how much I paid for my Stepway, and his jaw hit the floor. There's simply nothing else out there that gives such good value for money. The reaction of some people to Dacia's arrival has been interesting - I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to find the company genuinely offensive. People have slagged off the cars no end and gone on about how you could get a really good secondhand car for similar money, which misses the whole point. If you're a petrolhead who wants to take on the risks of secondhand car ownership, sure, you can get a really luxurious and powerful car for the price of a Sandero, but I can't be bothered with the hassle. It's clear that Dacia's business model works, because you see loads of them all over the place.
It was only a few years ago that they said the same about Skoda. All this badge snobbery makes me laugh.

Saw a response on the Dacia FB page where someone said they could buy a BMW X5 for the price of a Stepway...............Yeah if you want a 10 year old, with 80k miles, costs £400 p/a to tax, does 30mpg and will cost you a fortune to fix, WHEN it breaks down, which it will at that age..............Now who's done the maths?

·
Registered
211 Posts
It was only a few years ago that they said the same about Skoda. All this badge snobbery makes me laugh.

Saw a response on the Dacia FB page where someone said they could buy a BMW X5 for the price of a Stepway...............Yeah if you want a 10 year old, with 80k miles, costs £400 p/a to tax, does 30mpg and will cost you a fortune to fix, WHEN it breaks down, which it will at that hage..............Now who's done the maths?
Yes I remember when my Dad had his first Skoda ('K' reg so we're talking along time ago!!) Everybody laughed at him but it had loads of extras in it that other cars didn't have and no problems!! He had his first one for 10 years and then went on to have 2 more. He received loads of negative comments about buying a Skoda.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here'a a bit of "anthropology" for you.

I think people feel subordinate when they know in reality they have made a bad decision. Their reaction to being ripped off by other car manufacturers if they bought new, or feelings of inferiority if bought used is to simply bully or criticize the Skoda/Dacia brand without merit to make themselves feel better.

It is pointless trying to reason with these people. Best to ignore them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting topic as since I've got my stepway it's generated allot of interest... Even guys in my business ark when told I was getting one... They said I was mad till the day I showed up with it and they now say it looks awesome and one guy is thinking of buying one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
sidaorb,

What sort of berk is the person who made the comment about the BMW X5 on the Dacia FB page?!

My boss had one for five years which he bought when it was three months old if I remember correctly.

He had no end of problems with it and im not exaggerating when I say it must have gone back to the BMW dealer 12-15 times before the three year warranty expired and he then paid £1000.00 per year for two years for extended warranty!

I think he lost around £35000 depreciation in those five years too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
People always seem to scoff at car brands they either haven't heard of before, or know very little about. Sarcasm will always be directed towards any new vehicle brand emanating from a country not renowned for its auto engineering. Some such cars have proved to be genuinely terrible, like the Yugo. Others, like Proton, do very well for a while, and then there are those, like Skoda (my dad had two Estelles) and Kia which, from relatively humble beginnings, have stood the test of time and become respected marques.

Dacia may well have entered the fray to the grunts of badge snobs from it's manufacturing base in Romania, but it has done so with the full weight of French car giant Renault behind it, and cars that people seem instantly attracted to when they actually see one....and realise what they are getting for their money! Also, when you look at the reviews...even the most unenthusiastic reviewers end up pointing out that you are getting ridiculous value for money with a Dacia, loaded with Renault parts and boasting a veritable smorgasbord of features as standard.

Also...a fact which seems to be regularly overlooked, is that some of the Dacia models have been tried and tested, as they were marketed in Europe for some years prior to 2013...badged as Renaults!

Nobody, who has actually seen it, has slagged off my Stepway. On the contrary...it's a head turner.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
People always seem to scoff at car brands they either haven't heard of before, or know very little about. Sarcasm will always be directed towards any new vehicle brand emanating from a country not renowned for its auto engineering. Some such cars have proved to be genuinely terrible, like the Yugo. Others, like Proton, do very well for a while, and then there are those, like Skoda (my dad had two Estelles) and Kia which, from relatively humble beginnings, have stood the test of time and become respected marques.

Dacia may well have entered the fray to the grunts of badge snobs from it's manufacturing base in Romania, but it has done so with the full weight of French car giant Renault behind it, and cars that people seem instantly attracted to when they actually see one....and realise what they are getting for their money! Also, when you look at the reviews...even the most unenthusiastic reviewers end up pointing out that you are getting ridiculous value for money with a Dacia, loaded with Renault parts and boasting a veritable smorgasbord of features as standard.

Also...a fact which seems to be regularly overlooked, is that some of the Dacia models have been tried and tested, as they were marketed in Europe for some years prior to 2013...badged as Renaults!

Nobody, who has actually seen it, has slagged off my Stepway. On the contrary...it's a head turner.
Kia' Skoda - It seems respectability comes at a price, Good cars that have priced themselves out of the budget end of the market. Lets hope Dacia stick to their guns and don't inflate the prices.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it all comes down to "badge snobbery" I love my Duster Ambience 4x4, my previous car was a Peugeot 206cc and had horrendous electrics much worse than the 2 Lada Samaras I once owned!

·
Registered
39 Posts
All my colleagues at work give me no end of grief over the dacia. But I had a budget and I found I could buy a brand new car for it with all the extras I wanted. I don't need performance. I have a motorcycle that does 0-60 in 3.6s for that. I need boot space and internal comfort which the dacia gives me fine!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with most of the comments on here. Here is something to consider: What is the difference in the number of components in a Dacia and ANY OTHER car of ANY OTHER brand? The answer unsurprisingly is: very few.

The above is the logic used by FORD as to why they didn't compete with the Mini in the 1960's i.e. the same number of components the same cost base but lower sales price - so in their view why bother, lets continue to make big cars which sell for more money. As we all know they eventually produced the Fiesta. The inescapable conclusion is that for a "premium" brand all the money must be in the badge because the component costs are very similar.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When people respond by looking puzzled as to why I've chosen to buy a car that they have never heard of I start trying
to justify my choice about my precious Stepway and I've made a promise to myself today that I'm not going to do this anymore!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I always have to explain my Logan isn't as unknown and different as people may think. The reaction I get is always "ooh one of these foreign jobs, what's it got for an engine?" Or "sounds like you're taking a risk"..
But once I explain its based on a renault/nissan chassis, has the same engine/electrics from the Clio, gets good mpg and actually rides comfortably, most people realise that actually out of all the budget brands (Hyundai, Kia Daewoo/chevy), going with a what is essentially a Renault is a much safe decision than some Korean car that's only been in production for a few years.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A Toy Car?????

My husband took my Stepway to work today to show them how good it is. I watched him drive away and was nervous about how he'd drive, if he would park too close to cars etc - very over the top protective I know but .....!! Anyway when he came home I was waiting for the negative comments, but no everyone who "inspected it" had nothing but postive comments - they couldn't believe how great it was. (Of course WE know how great they are but these guys are new to Dacia!!) One of them took it on a test drive - its OK I did say he could because I knew he was interested in buying one as he wants mine when I'm ready to sell it!! I usually don't keep my cars long BUT I may not be parting with it soooo soon!! He really loves the Stepway but isn't in the position to buy one at the moment because he's not long bought a Mazda People Carrier (used car) and now wishes he'd waited until after he'd test driven my car!! So all in all my Stepway has a big thumbs up from the aircraft technicians!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had the odd stupid comment from people, like a work colleague who chose to rant about how useless Romanian people are, but generally everyone who has seen it is impressed. I've had my Stepway since the end of April and I still love driving it. Five of us went camping in it this weekend just gone, and all the gear we needed fitted snugly and neatly into that huge boot. Brilliant.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts