UK Dacia Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
hi my 2017 1.2 Dacia duster 4 wd stopped at junction of round about un able to change or engage gears smell of burning pushed into local garage and said vehicle master cylinder and clutch burnt out could cause damage to fly wheel mileage only 14000 approx. hardly used over last 18 months of pandemic told vehicle still under warranty [ 5year to 16 Aug 2022] so go towed to Dacia dealer ship in Chelmsford they had for two weeks before looking they needed my permission to take gear box off as long and costly job had no choice but to say yes as the said could not tell what problem was till gearbox dropped and guess what after 14000 miles they said clutch burnt out cost £1500 and spot burning on fly wheel total £2400 oh and master cylinder is part of the clutch assembly and come in included not covered by warranty told them to contact dacia duster customer care for me then advised i do same called them they said they have opened a case but nothing more and after reading you threads about this thought you offer adivice you talk about tech line and motor ombudsman now about these problem and they have ref No's can you help with more info
Hmmm.
If your clutch was malfunctioning enough to cause damage as you described you would have noticed it partially slipping for a long time before total failure.
The hot spot on the flywheel is symptomatic of a clutch that has been systematically abused.
Everyday now one can observe drivers holding their vehicle at a junction or traffic lights on an incline on the clutch!
No use of the handbrake what so ever.
I assure you, under some circumstances those clutches will be glowing and years taken off their service life!
Have you been doing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm.
If your clutch was malfunctioning enough to cause damage as you described you would have noticed it partially slipping for a long time before total failure.
The hot spot on the flywheel is symptomatic of a clutch that has been systematically abused.
Everyday now one can observe drivers holding their vehicle at a junction or traffic lights on an incline on the clutch!
I assure you, under some circumstances those clutches will be glowing and years taken off their service life!
Hi no and the vehicle has been seen checked an serviced by dealer ship since new in 2017 in 2018 and 2019 not 2020 or 2021 until now because of gov restriction on covid I live to far away from nearest deal ship garage.. I pushed vehicle in local garage with help and engineer there looked and said slave cylinder has caused clutch to seize against flywheel causing burning if I had not stopped at junction where I did it could have caused a major accident especially in moving traffic have been told motor ombudsman are aware of these clutch problems for few years but don’t know if dealerships Have been told this some one has said RAC techlink have lists and files on this situation just hope dealership respects code of conduct regarding customers that purchase vehicle off them and do right thing as slave cylinder clutch and fly wheel are not general ware and tear issue on something that should be fit for purpose and used correctly with in 14000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm.
hi i have been made aware that vosa and techlink now have information on Dacia not forwarding hold information regarding clutch problems on dacia's since and post 2015 and the motor ombudsman are aware of this and hold report to go forward now al it needs is a honest dealership who understands and respects /has a duty of care to there customers to get and use this information like other good dealerships have done with other vehicles and manufactures instead of hiding behind the vehicle manufactures recomened procedures

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi no and the vehicle has been seen checked an serviced by dealer ship since new in 2017 in 2018 and 2019 not 2020 or 2021 until now because of gov restriction on covid I live to far away from nearest deal ship garage.. I pushed vehicle in local garage with help and engineer there looked and said slave cylinder has caused clutch to seize against flywheel causing burning if I had not stopped at junction where I did it could have caused a major accident especially in moving traffic have been told motor ombudsman are aware of these clutch problems for few years but don’t know if dealerships Have been told this some one has said RAC techlink have lists and files on this situation just hope dealership respects code of conduct regarding customers that purchase vehicle off them and do right thing as slave cylinder clutch and fly wheel are not general ware and tear issue on something that should be fit for purpose and used correctly with in 14000 miles
So where did the hot spot on the flywheel appear from if the unit was a; seized as you put it to the flywheel and b; not slipping, or being slipped to hold the vehicle on an incline?

Do bear in mind, slipping a clutch deliberately or riding the clutch via using the pedal as a foot rest can generate enough heat in the clutch assembly that the hydraulic fluid boils and causes all sorts of problems!

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,864 Posts
Why would a failed clutch cause a serious accident. If the clutch won't disengage all that happens is the engine stalls when you stop. You can drive a car with a permanently engaged clutch but is not recommended as you can damage the synchromesh.

P.S. Just reviewed the video "steven brown" has linked to it is for a cable clutch mechanism not fitted to any Dacia it is all bullshit! Only the 1.2 used a cable clutch and that is not the correct mechanism even for that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why would a failed clutch cause a serious accident. If the clutch won't disengage all that happens is the engine stalls when you stop. You can drive a car with a permanently engaged clutch but is not recommended as you can damage the synchromesh.

P.S. Just reviewed the video "steven brown" has linked to it is for a cable clutch mechanism not fitted to any Dacia it is all bullshit! Only the 1.2 used a cable clutch and that is not the correct mechanism even for that!
hi i am steven brown and i have never mentioned or linked this to a clutch cable please read and my logs correctly dont like being accused of something i have never said

·
Registered
10 Posts
So where did the hot spot on the flywheel appear from if the unit was a; seized as you put it to the flywheel and b; not slipping, or being slipped to hold the vehicle on an incline?

Do bear in mind, slipping a clutch deliberately or riding the clutch via using the pedal as a foot rest can generate enough heat in the clutch assembly that the hydraulic fluid boils and causes all sorts of problems!
hi i dont know the dealership have not supplied me with any reports, eveidence ,photos , when we stopped at junction [juntion of roundabout not on hill ] the vehicle clutch pedal went straight to floor could not engage any gears and engine was racing very fast and when smelled burning turned off motor and pushed in a local garage with help and it was them who done a assessment on what there experiences and what they could visually see to tell me this is not normal wear and tear. they recommended towing to local dealship which i did i have neve had any other problems that i would have noticed as you suggested

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,864 Posts
Your first post linked to that video! Why are you posting in this topic if you have a hydraulic clutch and don't agree with its claims?

·
Registered
101 Posts
hi i dont know the dealership have not supplied me with any reports, eveidence ,photos , when we stopped at junction [juntion of roundabout not on hill ] the vehicle clutch pedal went straight to floor could not engage any gears and engine was racing very fast and when smelled burning turned off motor and pushed in a local garage with help and it was them who done a assessment on what there experiences and what they could visually see to tell me this is not normal wear and tear. they recommended towing to local dealship which i did i have neve had any other problems that i would have noticed as you suggested
a; a clutch problem would not of caused a racing engine! That is a separate issue or it was you.
b; ofcourse it is not normal wear and tear as you say they said, an abused clutch over many years (not just at one junction) will fail catastrophically as you have experienced.
c; the fact you have not experienced and slipping before unfortunately condemns the operator whether that be you or a previous owner!
That means there is not a fault with the product.
There is however and abundance of bad drivers! One bad thing people do is hold a vehicle stationary at traffic lights, in slow moving traffic, on an incline or not via the clutch instead of selecting the handbrake, selecting neutral and releasing the clutch. No they sit there for ages with the clutch pedal partially out ,car in gear. They are abusing their clutches, accelerating wear and tear. They are causing hot spots on the flywheel. They or the next owner of the vehicle will have to pick up the bill when that clutch fails prematurely.

In all my life in engineering, mechanics, car mechanics and motor sports circles I have never heard of a clutch mechanism doing what you describe by it self!
I have seen dozens of abused clutch failures from poor drivers and driving!!

In all honesty I can not see how your case will stand in your favour!
Sorry, but it is pointing to operator error from here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
a; a clutch problem would not of caused a racing engine! That is a separate issue or it was you.
b; ofcourse it is not normal wear and tear as you say they said, an abused clutch over many years (not just at one junction) will fail catastrophically as you have experienced.
c; the fact you have not experienced and slipping before unfortunately condemns the operator whether that be you or a previous owner!
That means there is not a fault with the product.
There is however and abundance of bad drivers! One bad thing people do is hold a vehicle stationary at traffic lights, in slow moving traffic, on an incline or not via the clutch instead of selecting the handbrake, selecting neutral and releasing the clutch. No they sit there for ages with the clutch pedal partially out ,car in gear. They are abusing their clutches, accelerating wear and tear. They are causing hot spots on the flywheel. They or the next owner of the vehicle will have to pick up the bill when that clutch fails prematurely.

In all my life in engineering, mechanics, car mechanics and motor sports circles I have never heard of a clutch mechanism doing what you describe by it self!
I have seen dozens of abused clutch failures from poor drivers and driving!!

In all honesty I can not see how your case will stand in your favour!
Sorry, but it is pointing to operator error from here.
[/QUOT not what ombudsman has made me aware of they are taking it on to sort

41 - 52 of 52 Posts