UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Dacia duster that is 3 years 2 months old with 48,000 miles. It has been regularly serviced by a main dealer.
This week it made a loud wurring sound so it was recovered to garage to diagnose the problem. I have been informed it's the Turbo and will cost £1300 pounds to fix which I am shocked about as the car is not that old.
It was serviced 3 weeks ago, would a service have shown up a fault in this area?
What impact would not replacing the fuel filer at 36,000 & 48000 miles have on the Turbo? (Sorry I am a girl)
Does anyone know if this is an ongoing issue with other Dacia Duster owners?

Any help would be appreciated

M

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's unusual on the DCi diesel engines, but turbos do fail on all marques The usual 'problems' are; extended oil change intervals or the wrong oil spec, blocked air filters, debris in the inlet air, carbon build up, or sheared shafts. Occasionally the oil pressure regulator fails and blows the oil seals.

As the car is only 2 months out of the three year warranty, and if the car has a full Dacia dealer service history then pleading for a goodwill contribution from Dacia might work. You may have to push. (2013 car?)

If this doesn't then a Renault independent would possibly give a lower quote. Turbo's are about £300-£400 new, more from Renault Dacia, but there is some work involved in cleaning out the oil lines and intercooler to make sure there is no debris in there. The oil and oil filter, and the air filter should also be changed and the inlet pipes and EGR checked.

"What impact would not replacing the fuel filer at 36,000 & 48000 miles have on the Turbo?"

None.

You haven't said if the current garage is a Dacia main dealer.

"It was serviced 3 weeks ago, would a service have shown up a fault in this area?"

It's a moot point. If it's a bearing that's suddenly given up then no, but turbo bearings often make a high pitched 'police siren' noise when they are worn, making for an easy diagnosis. Also 'whirring' sounds could be anything, including debris in the compressor. If the car was not serviced at a Dacia dealer it's possible any fault codes were not checked.

So a second opinion could be useful, unless the turbo has been taken off and inspected before that diagnosis. You could ask which bit of the turbo has failed. It will either be bearings or a smashed compressor or turbine. Bearings will be wear, or unlucky failure, compressor/turbine will be failure or debris.

'Exchange' re-built turbos are also available at lower cost, but possibly not from Dacia. Turbo 'cartridges' are about £100, it includes the rotating bits.

48,000 miles in three years means 16,000 miles a year, so if the car has had only annual servicing it's had fewer oil changes than Dacia recommend.

The options therefore, are:

1) Use a Dacia main dealer and plead for a goodwill contribution due to full service and age of car.

2) Get a second opinion. Ask about 'exchange' turbos.

3) Try ringing around for another Renault independent for a quote.

In any case, as the car is immobile, moving the car to another dealer will invoke more expense.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oh, as a PS, try a call to Dacia customer services, with your service receipts to hand.

0344 335 1111

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response it's extremely helpful.
The car is currently at my local independent garage highly recommended as Main dealer was unable to accept the car from breakdown, not accepting any work fo 10 days. I tried to speak to the main dealer that serviced it constantly getting cut off so the breakdown recovery dropped it off at local garage.
I will certainly be ringing Dacia.

Thank you

M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts