UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get started, just wanted to clarify terms. There are 3 tiers of infotainment that are or have been available on the Sandero III:
  • Media Control. This is basically just a phone holder, you use a smartphone app on your phone to control the radio etc.
  • Media Display. This is an 8" touchscreen with media and radio controls on it, but no sat nav. It supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay wired, but not wireless.
  • MediaNav. This is the best system. The same 8" touchscreen as above, but with built-in sat nav and, critically, wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
With that out the way...

I became interested in the new Sandero after watching some YouTube reviews about it, which specifically mention that the Comfort spec comes with MediaNav - including sat nav and wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay. When Sandero III launched, the Comfort spec definitely came with MediaNav. I'm not much of a petrolhead, but creature comforts and cabin tech are important to me, so this was a real boon.

I test drove a Sandero Stepway Comfort (the dealership did not have a non-Stepway with the CVT gearbox, which I wanted). The car I test drove had MediaNav, with sat nav and wireless AA/Carplay. I double-checked and the salesman assured me the Sandero Comfort (non-Stepway) had exactly the same features, including MediaNav with wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which I specifically asked about. I ordered the car on this basis on Saturday (delivery expected April/May).

I've since found, by combing carefully through the brochure and reading a couple of stories online of people getting what they thought was the wrong trim level, that Dacia actually changed the Comfort spec a bit some time in early 2021. The Sandero Comfort now only comes with Media Display, which has a similar 8" touch screen, but no built-in sat nav and only wired Android Auto and Apple Carplay, not wireless. I phoned the dealership about this, and everybody was clueless. When I brought up my doubts, they said they had not been made aware of any changes to the spec, and were still sure that the Comfort trim level comes with MediaNav inc. sat nav and wireless AA/Carplay - and they sold it to me on this basis. It was only when I directed them to the PDF brochure on the website and gave them the specific page number for the Sandero Comfort trim that they went a bit quiet and said they would look into it.

I am hoping, having already ordered the car on false premise, that they will be able to offer to upgrade my car to include MediaNav, not just Media Display.

This whole affair is pretty rubbish though, and I am surprised more people aren't talking about it. What do you think? Has anybody else heard anything about this?

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,035 Posts
While manufactures reserve the right to change spec without notice it is usually an upgrade. Indeed my car has a few trim upgrades.

I think it is probably due to the chip shortage and the cheap end chips for the medianav are not getting made.

I recently looked into an upgrade for my PC processor and found a lot of the chips I was interested in are reserved for manufacturers and not available retail. Indeed on ebay the processor I purchased 18 months ago is being offered used for more than twice I paid new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On Dacia's website the 'Multimedia' spec link has gone on the Comfort version but is still there for Essential, which shows 'Media Control'. As you say the PDF brochure shows Comfort spec as having 'Media Display', with 'MediaNav' showing as 'not available'.
If you spoke about this with the dealer before ordering and was assured you would get MediaNav then that is technically part of your contract and I would ensure you have written notes of those conversations. However I think the only options the dealer will have right now are to offer to cancel the contract or perhaps offer you a reduction in price for the lower spec that you are likely to receive. If the MediaNav units are not available, which appears might be the case, then I can't see how they'd be able to offer an upgrade.
It also might not be as simple as just slotting in a MediaNav unit as the car's wiring etc might be different - eg, is a GPS antenna already fitted to current Comfort spec?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think it is probably due to the chip shortage and the cheap end chips for the medianav are not getting made.
Think you're likely right about this! Seems they're reserving the few MediaNav chips they can get for the Stepway Prestige.

However I think the only options the dealer will have right now are to offer to cancel the contract or perhaps offer you a reduction in price for the lower spec that you are likely to receive.
If they can't change the order to have it fitted with MediaNav at the factory, I'm hoping, given they have essentially mis-sold the car to me, that I might be able to twist their arm into ordering a "replacement" MediaNav unit and fitting it for me after delivery. The Sandero Stepway Prestige does still come with MediaNav, so the units do exist. We'll see!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I placed my order last weekend and this has me a bit worried.
I've emailed my dealer to confirm I'll get the same display as I test drove.

In the meantime I've searching web for an older copy of the brochure.
I've found the April 2021 brochure and it shows the Comfort as having the MediaDisplay screen and the stepway prestige as the only model having the MediaNav.
Only noticeable difference between the brochures (current one listed as December 2021) is the Access model has been removed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I placed my order last weekend and this has me a bit worried.
I've emailed my dealer to confirm I'll get the same display as I test drove.

In the meantime I've searching web for an older copy of the brochure.
I've found the April 2021 brochure and it shows the Comfort as having the MediaDisplay screen and the stepway prestige as the only model having the MediaNav.
Only noticeable difference between the brochures (current one listed as December 2021) is the Access model has been removed.
Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one whose dealer apparently didn't know about this! Keep us updated with what they say, and I hope you're able to get the car with the spec you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received my Sandero Comfort in November, ordered in August. Delivered with MediaNav. Must admit that after I placed the order I noticed the change in spec, but never mentioned it to the dealer. Fortunately came as expected

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I received my Sandero Comfort in November, ordered in August. Delivered with MediaNav. Must admit that after I placed the order I noticed the change in spec, but never mentioned it to the dealer. Fortunately came as expected
How strange, that's quite a long time after the spec change too! I wonder why there is this discrepancy. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue ordered a Sandero comfort a week ago and queried before ordering it would have satnav and they said yes. Now with the brochures saying no even back to April I am very disapointed if it doesn't come with it. However I was encouraged by a post getting the car in November which came with satnav. I am now thinking is the brochure wrong?
I think the question now to get to the bottom of it is has anyone received the Sandero comfort without satnav?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pretty sure Media Nav will fit a Comfort without any issues. Prestige is just a label. The Prestige model doesn't exist in many other European markets - where we have Comfort as the top model with lots of options, including €150 Media Nav upgrade.
This change to UK Comfort spec has been public since last summer mind you, although specs delivered do seem to have been a lottery, some lucky winners even getting heated seats without ordering them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the question now to get to the bottom of it is has anyone received the Sandero comfort without satnav?
I am sure there are Comforts out there with Media Display rather than MediaNav. Some recent reviews and dealership videos of the car on YouTube talk about it only coming with Media Display. But also some people do still seem to be getting it with MediaNav. Very strange
specs delivered do seem to have been a lottery, some lucky winners even getting heated seats without ordering them
Yeah, I really don't understand why this is. A spec is a spec and surely they should stick to it? Very strange that a lot of this seems to come down to luck. Hadn't heard about people getting heated seats though, I didn't even know that was an option on the Sandero at all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I often have a read of a German Dacia forum site (via Google translate) and they have a wide variety of different packs available we do not have in the UK.

They can have a set of winter tyres and a cold weather pack with heated seats.
They seem to have a sort of mix and match pick list they can choose from with all sorts of extras like Media Nav, reversing camera, shark antenna all factory fitted at time of build.

If I read it correct (most likely wrong) this pick list seems to apply to any version of the Sandero when new. Wish we had that here.

One thing I did note when I finally got my car (Stepway Prestige) was the salesman saying to try out the Wi-Fi link from my mobile phone to the Media-Nav as some were coming without the Wi-Fi chips installed.
It was at the height of the chip shortage. Luckily mine was ok so I can connect via Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I did note when I finally got my car (Stepway Prestige) was the salesman saying to try out the Wi-Fi link from my mobile phone to the Media-Nav as some were coming without the Wi-Fi chips installed.
It was at the height of the chip shortage. Luckily mine was ok so I can connect via Wi-Fi.
So strange that you weren't warned of this beforehand even though they knew about it. Was there any implication of what they would have done if somehow the wifi chip had been excluded? Would they have replaced the unit, or did they not say anything like that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
To be honest it would have made very little difference either way for me personally. The phone connects fine using Bluetooth and the USB connection. Wi-Fi is only really needed if you want to keep the phone in your pocket or somewhere else. But is does help the phone connect automatically as you get in the car (if you remembered to turn it on lol) and turn everything on.

The problem is you have to have the phone in view of the windscreen for it to pick up the Satellite signals if you want to use Android Auto to navigate. The built in navigation in the Media Nav unit uses its own satellite connections for navigation but not for Android Auto.

Just as an aside Bluetooth is used for the phone calls and USB (or Wi-Fi) is used for playback of music and navigation.

Also because it took from December 2020 (on pre-order sight unseen) until October 2021 (71 Plate) when delivered I was just glad to get the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dealer here, the dropping of the sat nav and wireless Apple Car Play/Android Auto, on Comfort Sandero and Stepway was communicated by Dacia to all dealers on 6th April 2021 via "Sales Alert 3489".

If a dealer is saying they weren't aware of this, either they are lying or they are just incompetent as it was made common knowledge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on my case: salesman phoned me back today to say that the dealership manager and others have had a conference call with Dacia, and essentially confirmed everything that I said which they weren't aware of.

The salesman said he was told there wasn't a clear path to delivering the car I actually ordered - a Sandero Comfort with MediaNav - but said he would continue to work on it and try to find a way. He also recommended I escalate to Dacia customer service.

I did this, and customer service confirmed the same, but also said they would work on it. I mentioned that in some countries such as Germany, MediaNav is available as an optional extra on Comfort, so there must be a way of adding it on to the order even if it isn't standard for cars destined for the UK. I will keep pushing.

To be honest it would have made very little difference either way for me personally. The phone connects fine using Bluetooth and the USB connection. Wi-Fi is only really needed if you want to keep the phone in your pocket or somewhere else. But is does help the phone connect automatically as you get in the car (if you remembered to turn it on lol) and turn everything on.

The problem is you have to have the phone in view of the windscreen for it to pick up the Satellite signals if you want to use Android Auto to navigate. The built in navigation in the Media Nav unit uses its own satellite connections for navigation but not for Android Auto.

Just as an aside Bluetooth is used for the phone calls and USB (or Wi-Fi) is used for playback of music and navigation.

Also because it took from December 2020 (on pre-order sight unseen) until October 2021 (71 Plate) when delivered I was just glad to get the car.
For sure, it isn't gonna matter to a lot of people. For me it does matter, though - I don't really care that much about cars, but I do really like tech, and having wireless Android Auto would make it truly future proof for me, which is very appealing. Would also love to just have my phone in the car without having to plug it in - I could get a wireless charger, and that would feel really good. Have also found that my phone's GPS works well enough for navigation without being underneath the windscreen.

Dealer here, the dropping of the sat nav and wireless Apple Car Play/Android Auto, on Comfort Sandero and Stepway was communicated by Dacia to all dealers on 6th April 2021 via "Sales Alert 3489".

If a dealer is saying they weren't aware of this, either they are lying or they are just incompetent as it was made common knowledge.
Thanks for this info, really useful. I'll mention this next time I talk to them. Right now, I do believe them when they say they weren't aware and don't think they are lying - but there's really no excuse beyond incompetence, like you say.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dacia customer services will just bat it back to the dealer to deal with as it is their cock up, fact is the spec change was communicated to dealers using the usual channels and the dealer missed it, Dacia UK have done nothing wrong.

Likelyhood of having it retro fitted or added as an option, I would say no chance, the dealer needs to fess up, they made a mistake and it is as it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dacia customer services will just bat it back to the dealer to deal with as it is their cock up, fact is the spec change was communicated to dealers using the usual channels and the dealer missed it, Dacia UK have done nothing wrong.

Likelyhood of having it retro fitted or added as an option, I would say no chance, the dealer needs to fess up, they made a mistake and it is as it is.
Dacia UK have done at least one thing wrong: the website hasn't been updated properly. If you go to the configurator and click "Show all equipment", it still shows the Comfort as coming with MediaNav. Other areas of the website contradict this and properly note the change to Media Display, but that is evidence enough to me that this change may have been sloppily handled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before I get started, just wanted to clarify terms. There are 3 tiers of infotainment that are or have been available on the Sandero III:
  • Media Control. This is basically just a phone holder, you use a smartphone app on your phone to control the radio etc.
  • Media Display. This is an 8" touchscreen with media and radio controls on it, but no sat nav. It supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay wired, but not wireless.
  • MediaNav. This is the best system. The same 8" touchscreen as above, but with built-in sat nav and, critically, wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
With that out the way...

I became interested in the new Sandero after watching some YouTube reviews about it, which specifically mention that the Comfort spec comes with MediaNav - including sat nav and wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay. When Sandero III launched, the Comfort spec definitely came with MediaNav. I'm not much of a petrolhead, but creature comforts and cabin tech are important to me, so this was a real boon.

I test drove a Sandero Stepway Comfort (the dealership did not have a non-Stepway with the CVT gearbox, which I wanted). The car I test drove had MediaNav, with sat nav and wireless AA/Carplay. I double-checked and the salesman assured me the Sandero Comfort (non-Stepway) had exactly the same features, including MediaNav with wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which I specifically asked about. I ordered the car on this basis on Saturday (delivery expected April/May).

I've since found, by combing carefully through the brochure and reading a couple of stories online of people getting what they thought was the wrong trim level, that Dacia actually changed the Comfort spec a bit some time in early 2021. The Sandero Comfort now only comes with Media Display, which has a similar 8" touch screen, but no built-in sat nav and only wired Android Auto and Apple Carplay, not wireless. I phoned the dealership about this, and everybody was clueless. When I brought up my doubts, they said they had not been made aware of any changes to the spec, and were still sure that the Comfort trim level comes with MediaNav inc. sat nav and wireless AA/Carplay - and they sold it to me on this basis. It was only when I directed them to the PDF brochure on the website and gave them the specific page number for the Sandero Comfort trim that they went a bit quiet and said they would look into it.

I am hoping, having already ordered the car on false premise, that they will be able to offer to upgrade my car to include MediaNav, not just Media Display.

This whole affair is pretty rubbish though, and I am surprised more people aren't talking about it. What do you think? Has anybody else heard anything about this?
Good post
Let us know what the dealer say about it
When they reply.
Quite frankly I want satnav & wireless android
and really any possible compensation doesn't cut it if it was offered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the same issue ordered a Sandero comfort a week ago and queried before ordering it would have satnav and they said yes. Now with the brochures saying no even back to April I am very disapointed if it doesn't come with it. However I was encouraged by a post getting the car in November which came with satnav. I am now thinking is the brochure wrong?
I think the question now to get to the bottom of it is has anyone received the Sandero comfort without satnav?
Good post
Let us know what the dealer say about it
When they reply.
Quite frankly I want satnav & wireless android
and really any possible compensation doesn't cut it if it was offered.
If you're in exactly the same situation as me, and it sounds like you are, I'd definitely recommend contacting the dealer yourself.

Though actually, it might be beneficial if you can just ask them to confirm in writing or via email that it will come with Media Nav (inc. sat nav and wireless Carplay) without saying why you are asking, so that they just confirm that without looking into it. That way, when you have paid the full deposit and have received the car, if it does not have Media Nav you may be in an even better position to get it retrofitted.

In my case, I have only paid the £99 holding deposit for the order to be placed, so there is still an opportunity for Dacia to say "sorry, we can't sell you a car with what you want" and cancel the order. Whereas if I had received the car and paid the full amount (or begun the finance agreement) based on the Media Nav misinformation, and only after receiving it found out I had been told the wrong thing, I might be in a stronger place to argue that it should be retrofitted - at that point I am quite confident that they would actually have broken the law by telling you you were getting one thing and then giving you something different after taking your money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts