UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Its about 9 years since Dacia entered the Irish market and maybe slightly more than that when they entered the UK market. They originally arrived here with (in my humble opinion) very appealing vehicles. Even though at the time they created somewhat polarising opinions with their cars, they nonetheless captured hearts and buyers by delivering a simpler experience and an offer with each of their vehicles that was within the reach of most new car shoppers. The Logan, the Sandero and the Duster together cast a wide net that was affordable and practical for the different personalities and needs of the UK and Irish driving communities.

Fast forward to 2022. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in global terms since then and regardless of where anyone stands on politics and world health, one thing is for sure....; The Irish punter (and possibly the UK punter as well) is getting pummelled on the forecourt.

I accept that things change and inflation is a fact but the new pricing for Dacias is taking the piss.

Firstly a bit of background in Ireland.....In the last fiscal quarter of 2021, used cars numbers on Irish forecourts were decimated. This led to a 50%+ increase on the remaining vehicles for sale. Supply and demand don't you know.
That should make a new car more attractive. Whilst Dacia is still the cheapest new vehicle a person can buy, there are some caveats

For example, a new Dacia Duster Comfort model that was 22,500 Euro in 2019 (i know because I bought one)
is now a staggering 25,800 Euro. So what's on offer for an additional 3,300 Euro. According to my dealer, Fuck all!
(Sorry Mod)

He tells me spotlights are discontinued on Essential model. A regressive step if ever there was one.
He tells me Privacy Glass is now discontinued but he knows a guy.....
I really liked the Privacy glass. He also tells me that the touchscreen is 1inch bigger.
Whilst I might be glad of an extra inch in some areas of my life:rolleyes:, I was happy enough with the 2019 screen size.

So to recap, Slightly different exterior lights and something about a repositioned USB slot for 3,300 Euro? No thanks.

The Dacia Logan which was the epitome of practicality and excellent value for money is now discontinued. The Jogger is on the way but prepare to bend over twice to afford that replacement albeit that it maybe still 'cheaper than its rivals'.

That leaves the Sandero. An absolute weapon in Dacia's arsenal. I have owned the 1.2 version (as well as my Duster) since 2016 and it is a very capable supermini for a price I was very happy with. Enter it's replacement.

The Essential model will always be the most attractive pricewise as will the the smallest engine. Again, pricewise.
the entry level engine is now 65 hp, 10hp less than its predecessor in 2013. The torque values are 10% lower.
I know it is not a Drag Racer but it was never heavily muscled to begin with. Merely adequate. Sit inside the vehicle and aircon is available now but the radio and audio interface is gone. I accept that CD's went out with the (insert answer here), but no tactile interface for entertainment on long journeys is a Neddy No No.
Every car reviewer talks about how clever the new 'phone flap' is in the centre of the dashboard but in reality this is a cynical move. Give me a physical radio and cd player any day.

So this is where we are. (At least in my limited understanding of the World around me and in Ireland at least).I ask my dealer and other car dealers what's going on?......

They point to yes, you've guessed it............. Covid??? And a Semi Conducter shortage and of course Brexit and if all else fails , well it's Climate change don't you know! I don't doubt that an endangered butterfly's wing flap does change the world but I think this all about Dacia chasing Skoda.

Years ago, cars like the Skoda Felicia and Hyundai Pony were the Trojan horses of their manufacturers which ultimately led the way for State wide conquests. Here in Ireland, Hyundai and Skoda are both sought after models, their days of hanging out with the less well heeled firmly behind them.

But, be under no illusion.

Dacia is right behind them looking to cast of the shackles of it's low cost past. This is a fact of nature. Adapt or die. The Niche market they worked so hard for will evaporate as second hand Skodas and Hyundais soak up their customer base which will leave them with a new fight on their hands. A risky marketing ploy.

I think at this stage we need a new low cost champion. I CALL YOU FORWARD!

FIAT!

ARE YOU READY?!

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,035 Posts
The 1.2 was dropped to 73 hp before being replaced with the SCe 75 which is now the SCe 65 all due to emissions.

Lets face it we are all being encouraged to buy EV but the electricity distribution system can not possibly supply the fast charging rates now being promoted as a reason to switch if more than a minority of people in an area have EVs.

If you look at your house domestic supply you will have a 100 Amp incoming, 80 Amp in older houses. The street lights run off the same supply so the "lamp post chargers" are not viable,

On another note when I bought my car which was one of eight the Sheffield dealers first ordered a neighbour who was a motor mechanic asked what it was when told he said "So they're doing a Skoda."

·
Registered
39 Posts
All manufacturers pitch the price at that they can build it for with profits down the chain and still be competitive in the market.
The new Dacia range is the latest iteration of that ethos and has even exceeded Renault's expectations with the Sandero outselling the Clio in France.
Just as Skoda, Kia and Hyundai you exampled, Dacia have also shaken off the "cheap Lada" image and are now taken seriously in a marketplace which is highly competitive, not because of bells and whistles but value for money.

All vehicle prices have increased to meet costs - The notion Dacia could build a Mk1 Logan cheaper and which would comply with modern emission requirements is cloud cuckoo, no european manufacturer could.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1.2 was dropped to 73 hp before being replaced with the SCe 75 which is now the SCe 65 all due to emissions.

Lets face it we are all being encouraged to buy EV but the electricity distribution system can not possibly supply the fast charging rates now being promoted as a reason to switch if more than a minority of people in an area have EVs.

If you look at your house domestic supply you will have a 100 Amp incoming, 80 Amp in older houses. The street lights run off the same supply so the "lamp post chargers" are not viable,

On another note when I bought my car which was one of eight the Sheffield dealers first ordered a neighbour who was a motor mechanic asked what it was when told he said "So they're doing a Skoda."
On

Hi Daedalus,

Yes you're right. The endgame at the moment is for an electric vehicle in every driveway. I live in a town with about 12000 people and there are exactly two charging points. Most average working men I speak with who have upgraded their vehicles have all stayed with Diesel and have bought New examples of Ford's and Kias. My father has ordered a new plug in hybrid and the price was astronomical at least from my point of view. I don't know if the situation is the same in the UK but there are many videos on YouTube from Irish drivers documenting their experiences of electric cars and most are very negative. All electric vehicles are not very popular but people do buy hybrids. Personally I'll change when the last drop of oil has been taken from the ground.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All manufacturers pitch the price at that they can build it for with profits down the chain and still be competitive in the market.
The new Dacia range is the latest iteration of that ethos and has even exceeded Renault's expectations with the Sandero outselling the Clio in France.
Just as Skoda, Kia and Hyundai you exampled, Dacia have also shaken off the "cheap Lada" image and are now taken seriously in a marketplace which is highly competitive, not because of bells and whistles but value for money.

All vehicle prices have increased to meet costs - The notion Dacia could build a Mk1 Logan cheaper and which would comply with modern emission requirements is cloud cuckoo, no european manufacturer could.

Hi ZBob, I do accept that prices will always rise except maybe during recessions but the problem I have with Dacia in this country is that by the time the government here add VRT vehicle registration tax and when the dealer wants his cut, the punter must pay over 15000 Euro for a base white Essential Sandero. A new Duster diesel Comfort here is just shy of 26000 euro. This means Dacias Duster was once in competition with only a new Skoda Fabia but now it has more natural predators brand new from the Skoda group i.e the Kamiq for example. I changed my Duster every couple of years for a new one but that will end this year because of exorbitant costs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
... 15000 Euro for a base white Essential Sandero. A new Duster diesel Comfort here is just shy of 26000 euro. ...
And I thought we got ripped off in the UK, but our equivalent prices are £10,145 (12150 Euro) and £17,645 (21134 Euro). 😮

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello everyone,

Its about 9 years since Dacia entered the Irish market and maybe slightly more than that when they entered the UK market. They originally arrived here with (in my humble opinion) very appealing vehicles. Even though at the time they created somewhat polarising opinions with their cars, they nonetheless captured hearts and buyers by delivering a simpler experience and an offer with each of their vehicles that was within the reach of most new car shoppers. The Logan, the Sandero and the Duster together cast a wide net that was affordable and practical for the different personalities and needs of the UK and Irish driving communities.

Fast forward to 2022. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in global terms since then and regardless of where anyone stands on politics and world health, one thing is for sure....; The Irish punter (and possibly the UK punter as well) is getting pummelled on the forecourt.

I accept that things change and inflation is a fact but the new pricing for Dacias is taking the piss.

Firstly a bit of background in Ireland.....In the last fiscal quarter of 2021, used cars numbers on Irish forecourts were decimated. This led to a 50%+ increase on the remaining vehicles for sale. Supply and demand don't you know.
That should make a new car more attractive. Whilst Dacia is still the cheapest new vehicle a person can buy, there are some caveats

For example, a new Dacia Duster Comfort model that was 22,500 Euro in 2019 (i know because I bought one)
is now a staggering 25,800 Euro. So what's on offer for an additional 3,300 Euro. According to my dealer, Fuck all!
(Sorry Mod)

He tells me spotlights are discontinued on Essential model. A regressive step if ever there was one.
He tells me Privacy Glass is now discontinued but he knows a guy.....
I really liked the Privacy glass. He also tells me that the touchscreen is 1inch bigger.
Whilst I might be glad of an extra inch in some areas of my life:rolleyes:, I was happy enough with the 2019 screen size.

So to recap, Slightly different exterior lights and something about a repositioned USB slot for 3,300 Euro? No thanks.

The Dacia Logan which was the epitome of practicality and excellent value for money is now discontinued. The Jogger is on the way but prepare to bend over twice to afford that replacement albeit that it maybe still 'cheaper than its rivals'.

That leaves the Sandero. An absolute weapon in Dacia's arsenal. I have owned the 1.2 version (as well as my Duster) since 2016 and it is a very capable supermini for a price I was very happy with. Enter it's replacement.

The Essential model will always be the most attractive pricewise as will the the smallest engine. Again, pricewise.
the entry level engine is now 65 hp, 10hp less than its predecessor in 2013. The torque values are 10% lower.
I know it is not a Drag Racer but it was never heavily muscled to begin with. Merely adequate. Sit inside the vehicle and aircon is available now but the radio and audio interface is gone. I accept that CD's went out with the (insert answer here), but no tactile interface for entertainment on long journeys is a Neddy No No.
Every car reviewer talks about how clever the new 'phone flap' is in the centre of the dashboard but in reality this is a cynical move. Give me a physical radio and cd player any day.

So this is where we are. (At least in my limited understanding of the World around me and in Ireland at least).I ask my dealer and other car dealers what's going on?......

They point to yes, you've guessed it............. Covid??? And a Semi Conducter shortage and of course Brexit and if all else fails , well it's Climate change don't you know! I don't doubt that an endangered butterfly's wing flap does change the world but I think this all about Dacia chasing Skoda.

Years ago, cars like the Skoda Felicia and Hyundai Pony were the Trojan horses of their manufacturers which ultimately led the way for State wide conquests. Here in Ireland, Hyundai and Skoda are both sought after models, their days of hanging out with the less well heeled firmly behind them.

But, be under no illusion.

Dacia is right behind them looking to cast of the shackles of it's low cost past. This is a fact of nature. Adapt or die. The Niche market they worked so hard for will evaporate as second hand Skodas and Hyundais soak up their customer base which will leave them with a new fight on their hands. A risky marketing ploy.

I think at this stage we need a new low cost champion. I CALL YOU FORWARD!

FIAT!

ARE YOU READY?!
Am surprised that Lada have not decided to re-enter the UK or Europe wide market, from what I've seen on YouTube their cars look about as good as any budget brands available here, then again we owned a Chevrolet Cruze a few years back and parent company GM, decided that it was splitting the sales of Vauxhall models too much, this could be true of Lada's parent, Renault.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have looked at Dacia prices around Europe and the RRP in ROI are ludicrous.
Top Spec Stepway is about €7000 more in Eire than in Spain.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
272 Posts
I read about a year ago that the Renault Lada Niva is scheduled for 2024. An opinion then, not mine, was that Dacias were becoming just another Renault and that the Lada will fill the gap that will be left at the bottom of the market, and will be based on the Clio 4, which is the same as my 2020 Sandero II, so quite a step back by then.

Bought mine from a French importer - is that not doable in the UK any more? I seem to recall it was the thing to do some years ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ZBob, I do accept that prices will always rise except maybe during recessions but the problem I have with Dacia in this country is that by the time the government here add VRT vehicle registration tax and when the dealer wants his cut, the punter must pay over 15000 Euro for a base white Essential Sandero. A new Duster diesel Comfort here is just shy of 26000 euro. This means Dacias Duster was once in competition with only a new Skoda Fabia but now it has more natural predators brand new from the Skoda group i.e the Kamiq for example. I changed my Duster every couple of years for a new one but that will end this year because of exorbitant costs.
I used to live in Ireland so became well acquainted with it's market peculiarities, the previous model of a Nokia was selling for more than the new one even in the UK 🙄, so it appears from your comments little has changed on that front. To demonstrate :
On your 15k Essential, back in April it was somewhere between 10 and 12k here, but as I wanted the Tce engine, electric windows front and back, and AC (it gets up to 45 here) as minimum meant an order and a long wait which did not solve my immediate problem of the old car going off the road.
After saying I'd go look for a Suzuki, they offered the top spec Comfort out of the showroom for 12.5k (probably it's original list price) and I drove it away 2 days later and have never been more delighted.
I just checked the list price now and it's ca 14.6k here, so aside my stroke of luck, compared to your 15k for an Essential it's not due to Dacia but Ireland.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid 26,460 euro for the Prestigue New Facelift Duster. I have owned every Duster to date and variation."5" in total. I have to say the new facelift duster is a dream to drive. The only issue i have outside of the cost is that the headlights are inferior to earlier models for night time driving. Thus I have changed them to LED except the dims as i think these cannot be changed and are sealed. This will be the final duster as they are getting to expencive. Our good neighbours in the UK seem to pay less even when you take the Sterling V Euro on board. I guess our tax and customs and excise here in Ireland is what adds the price. Going onto Dacia Dealerships in all of the EU Countries. Ireland is the dearest against the rest of the EU for the purchase of a new Duster.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid 26,460 euro for the Prestigue New Facelift Duster. I have owned every Duster to date and variation."5" in total. I have to say the new facelift duster is a dream to drive. The only issue i have outside of the cost is that the headlights are inferior to earlier models for night time driving. Thus I have changed them to LED except the dims as i think these cannot be changed and are sealed. This will be the final duster as they are getting to expencive. Our good neighbours in the UK seem to pay less even when you take the Sterling V Euro on board. I guess our tax and customs and excise here in Ireland is what adds the price. Going onto Dacia Dealerships in all of the EU Countries. Ireland is the dearest against the rest of the EU for the purchase of a new Duster.
Character Defect; Exactly! Due to a high mileage job I bizarrely had 6 new Dusters, each one an improvement on the last and not one ever letting me down. However due to a change in mileage circumstances I have finished upgrading since 2019 with the Duster 2 Comfort being my last vehicle with only 20000 km on the clock today (That's 12,500 miles in old money) . Despite having visited dealers and having tried to negotiate a fair price, I have now decided to let this particular car carry me through for the next decade whereupon I think Electric cars will take it from there whether or not that is what I will want. I hope you got a good price for your trade in but my experience is that cars jumped in price and all cars are worth more except for the car that the customer is trading in. I was happy to continue at least a part time love affair with the Duster but ultimatums were issued which ultimately transferred to heavy attacks on my cash. I understand that Brexit has impacted used car sales which were put under further pressure by new car trickle supplies and I also hope you held out against the dealer nonsense rhetoric and got what you're trade in was worth. The Prestige is a fine vehicle and I wish you many a year of safe driving. You are also spot on correct when you say that Ireland is the most expensive in the EU for a new Duster. Unfortunately, you could substitute 'Duster' for Housing, Food or indeed Drink (which increased by a staggering 60% since January 1st 2022!). Not wishing to go off topic but a bottle of Paddy Whiskey, transported all the way to Deutshland is 23.50 euro per litre versus 42 Euro a Litre in its country of origin. (Sorry Mod for veering off the trail).In the meantime if you see a 2019 Duster comin at ye give us a flash. Main beams only please; I'm not that kind of man! Best of Luck! Redstu.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to live in Ireland so became well acquainted with it's market peculiarities, the previous model of a Nokia was selling for more than the new one even in the UK 🙄, so it appears from your comments little has changed on that front. To demonstrate :
On your 15k Essential, back in April it was somewhere between 10 and 12k here, but as I wanted the Tce engine, electric windows front and back, and AC (it gets up to 45 here) as minimum meant an order and a long wait which did not solve my immediate problem of the old car going off the road.
After saying I'd go look for a Suzuki, they offered the top spec Comfort out of the showroom for 12.5k (probably it's original list price) and I drove it away 2 days later and have never been more delighted.
I just checked the list price now and it's ca 14.6k here, so aside my stroke of luck, compared to your 15k for an Essential it's not due to Dacia but Ireland.

ZBob A Very accurate analysis of the market here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have looked at Dacia prices around Europe and the RRP in ROI are ludicrous.
Top Spec Stepway is about €7000 more in Eire than in Spain.
You are right Spyder, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. In terms of taxes here, our government knows they have a captive audience. Cars are rarely imported from the European continent as obviously the steering wheel is on the left whereas ours is of course on the right. In terms of imports, our primary partner for trading with was always the UK but Brexit unfortunately put an end to this arrangement in practical terms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts