UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I suppose in the UK, this engine, 1.0 Sce started about more than year ago.

I have ordered one Logan MCV with this engine, so I will highly appriciate if someone who use this car for a while, give me some info about this engine at every day use, maintanance etc.

Thanx!

Greetings from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Sandero with SCe 75. When brand new it used about 7l/100km in the city and suburbs on average. Now fuel use dropped to about 6-6.5l/100km. It uses less on motorway (providing you do not go faster than 110km/h).

This engine is new, but for some reason Renault does not put it into their Clio's (1.2l engine was replaced by 0.9 Tce in Clio), though many base level Dacia's come with SCe engines (Is Renault still testing its reliability?). I am not sure if it is a common problem, but I had rocker cover gasket blown and leaking oil (fixed under warranty), so watch for oil leaks, especially after faster driving.

Engine is cast from aluminum, hence it is lighter. I am not sure how this will reflect on its reliability, as cast aluminum is not as strong as cast iron.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Compared to the TCe 90 engine you have an engine that is less complicated (lack of turbo and what comes with it, intercooler, etc) therefore less to break. I know the small three-pots in Aygo, C1 and 107 family has examples that have done over 280.000 km without issues. That doesn't say anything about your Renault engine, but compared to a normal 4-cylinder engine you have 4 less valves, 5 less piston rings less in the equation.

My point being: the simpler something is, the less there are to break. French engines in general (from my experience) tend to go incontinent when old. Headgasket issues for instance. Had two TU-series PSA engines that both blew their headgasket.

Your car is new and has a 3-year warranty. I think if you are going to have problems with it, it won't be with the engine, if that engine is a poor design. That might be owner number 3 or 4 down the road that will feel it. If any!

The fact that Renault itself does not use that engine, I think you can attribute to it's low power output, perhaps. Maybe that don't want to sell their flagship product to have an underpowered engine, thereby creating a product unpopular with the customer.

The ONLY reservation I would have as to order a car with that engine is, with the size of the Logan (quite a big one!) is whether it would have enough power to drag itself around. Probably don't expect dynamic motorway driving with 4 passengers and a loaded boot. It will be slow and ironically more economical than a larger engine that way.

For city driving. Probably no issues there.

Hope I make sense.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Sandero with the 75 Sce engine keeps up with motorway traffic with 4 passengers. In normal use it has no trouble with urban traffic conditions as long as you drive it in a French manner, meaning rev the engine hard. Bear in mind that maximum power is at 6,200 rpm, and the engine sounds happy being driven like this. Fuel consumption is between 48-54 mpg. Is the engine in the Renault Twingo a version of this engine?

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
If ever an aluminium engine block overheats it will be interesting as to it will warp in the same way that an aluminium head will. Usually you level the head but leave the block as the block is made of cast iron and therefore more resillient.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found Sandero with SCe 75 slightly more nippy than Clio with 1.2l naturally aspirated 75hp engine. Maybe because Sandero is lighter, as SCe 75 is very similar in hp rating to 1.2l engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts