UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we're all looking forward to driving our Dusters and that's easy enough to introduce to people..but how are you going to pronounce Dacia?

I am saying 'Dayseeya' and will continue to do so, despite the salespeople correcting me several times to something like 'Dattcha'. Are they right? do we care? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have seen, read, heard, somewhere, that it's definitely 'Datchya' - just can't give you the proof at this moment :unsure:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have seen, read, heard, somewhere, that it's definitely 'Datchya' - just can't give you the proof at this moment :unsure:
Yep heard the same ... But probably will have to stick to dace-ia as that is probably what everybody will call it in Ireland no matter how I try to educate them ... A lot of people still say Ren-alt .... You see what I'm up against ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
They use the Romanian pronunciation. The name comes from the ancient kingdom of Dacia (now Romania)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia).
Romanian is a Latin language so the letter group "ci" is pronounced like "chee" in English.
Written in English, to sound like the Romanian pronunciation, it will be: dha-chee-ah.

Belive me, I am Romanian. But you can read it the way you want, you are not Romanian. Even the french are pronouncing it in they're own way: dha-see-ah. So say it the way you want it. Day-cia sounds easier, and I think the majority will read it like this. It's a logical choice to read it with your own language pronunciation rules.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There's no way to be certain how the word is pronounced. We only have modern interpretations. The way to work out how Latin words were pronounced is to see how they were spelled in ancient Greek. The Dacian language has barely any evidence remaining, one inscription and numerous place names, plant names etc. Dacia is said to be closely related to Thracian and Phrygian but again, much supposition, debatable evidence, so it's difficult to put any pronunciation with any certainty.

Dachia,

Dakia,

Dasia

Daasia

Only a dingbat would correct someone as all they would be demanding is that you pronounce it in the same half-guessed way that they do so. You'd be swapping one supposition for another. Anyway when people try to correct you it says more about them than it does about the word. (You pronounce it Daachia, Dakia, Dasia (insert or change to taste) ) basically means "Look how clever I am" but should actually be heard as "Look how clever I am trying to look".

Bottom line. No-one really knows and it doesnt really matter. Dacian history is fascinating however, they gave Emp. Domitian a bloody nose and gave Trajan a run for his denarii.

Reactions: JimAnt

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well James May on the not very funny comedy car show where the audience roll around laughing for no reason when the big twerp speaks pronounces in Darr-cea so now most folk I have met now accept that as the English way!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Getting awfully bored now with people giggling when I say I am buying a Dacia Duster. Not so much the name, more the make and the car itself. The number of times I've been asked why I dont buy a Kuga, Qashqai, second hand BMW, etc etc etc, ad nauseum.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Dacia's FAQ page

First entry
Q. How is Dacia pronounced?
Dacia is pronounced "Datch-a".

http://www.dacia.co.uk/faq/

Hope this helps
Knew I'd seen it somewhere!

Getting awfully bored now with people giggling when I say I am buying a Dacia Duster. Not so much the name, more the make and the car itself. The number of times I've been asked why I dont buy a Kuga, Qashqai, second hand BMW, etc etc etc, ad nauseum.
Yes, I've been getting that reaction a lot - but I'm looking forward to getting a new car, driving a new car, and not paying a king's ransom for the rest of my life for it!

·
Registered
308 Posts
The pub I am at tonight, Beckford Inn in the Cotswolds, has a Romanian staff member and last night he was really pleased to see my Duster and he pronounced it 'datchya'!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's like asking someone from Yorkshire how to pronounce Brigantes. But the Romanians make 'em, Dacia is part of their culture (though Sarmizagethusa Regia is a World Heritage site), so if the Romanians want to say "Datchya" then let's go with that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't worry, you'll have the last laugh. When my friend, who lives in Italy, ordered a Duster, friends told him that he threw his money out the window, that the car will be rubbish etc... basically some baseless trolling. One of his work colleagues was teasing him that's he's broke or that he'll better walk than buy a Dacia. When he got the car and showed it to his co-worker he was very impressed with the car. Gues what his friend next car was? A Duster! Funny how things work in the real word. Never say never. :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
When discussing said car and having mickey taken for buying at and the name, said "other bloke" after taking mickey said,

"I'm driving a xxxxxx (can't remember, some run of the mill make) but it uses too much fuel so I don't use it much, but I do have another car that I drive more often, but that's not much better".

FFS! :blink:

How do these people manage to breathe, walk and talk at the same time?

I just sat there with a confused look on my face. Wrote one word in the diary today, simply says "Eh? ?????"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts