UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am aware that you do not have to take your Dacia back to a Dacia dealer to have it serviced to honour the warranty period, as long as Dacia parts are used and the servicing schedule is followed.

But my question is, from time to time manufacturers use the service time on a car to perform a software/ecu update. So if you decide to use other means to service your Dacia, whether that be a home service or by a garage you may have used for years, your car wont benefit from said update!

Where does that leave you if for example you have to have something done to your car under warranty?

Also, how does it effect the paint and or corrosion warranty side of things? Can you or your garage do the necessary checks and if so again, how do you stand if you need to claim on the paint or corrosion warranty?

Thanks for your help and comments in advance!

Clarkie

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your car is new as mine is, I would not consider taking the car anywhere other than the dealer for servicing.

You may get the service a bit cheaper elsewhere, but the chances of missing something are greater.

I would only consider servicing elsewhere after warranty expired.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have found the servicing costs to be so reasonable at my Dacia main dealer, that it just isn't worth saving a few quid to risk screwing up any potential future warranty claims.

1st service was £113 something.

2nd service was £151 something.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree, I took the service pack and will go to my local garage once my warranty has expired... Unless uncle Arnold feels like price matching that is?!

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Hi all.

I am aware that you do not have to take your Dacia back to a Dacia dealer to have it serviced to honour the warranty period, as long as Dacia parts are used and the servicing schedule is followed.

But my question is, from time to time manufacturers use the service time on a car to perform a software/ecu update. So if you decide to use other means to service your Dacia, whether that be a home service or by a garage you may have used for years, your car wont benefit from said update!

Where does that leave you if for example you have to have something done to your car under warranty?

Also, how does it effect the paint and or corrosion warranty side of things? Can you or your garage do the necessary checks and if so again, how do you stand if you need to claim on the paint or corrosion warranty?

Thanks for your help and comments in advance!

Clarkie
Home servicing would void any warranty, To maintain the cars warranty the car can be serviced in any VAT registered garage but Dacia parts must be used along with the Dacia service schedule being followed.
However you generally do not save much, and you could miss out on any software updates, Not just that only a Dacia service centre can check your paintwork for any paintwork warranty issues.

The first 3 years services as per the service schedule are exactly the same each year for my Tce90,Untill it reaches 36k then its a basic service plus sparkplugs and air filter change...
So technically that means a service should cost the same in years 1 & 2 unlike Timeliner has been charged more for his second service compared to his first service... However he does have a 1.2 engine so the service schedule maybe different but I am rather optimistic about that think its more likely the garage has pulled a fast one.... but the service schedule will confirm that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Page 3 onwards gives you an idea.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/topic/5660-how-to-change-your-oil-photo-guide/page-3

Paintwork inspections are built into the car price so are "free" of charge.

Software updates are not required as part of the warranty and there are reports on this forum of unhappy owners after "updates" being received.

Just because a garage is "Dacia" it does not make it competent or even good value. In fact the Google and Facebook reviews of my local garage are very poor. My own personal experiences of the service department (and sales) are also very poor. My intention is to go to a Renault garage that I am happy with who does not have a Dacia franchise. Dacia have confirmed in writing that a Renault garage counts as a Dacia service.

Just to clarify, it is unlawful for Dacia to insist upon Dacia branded parts. EU law requires the parts to be of OE Spec, i.e. a Lucas part in a Dacia box may literally be twice the price of the OE equivalent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I accept entirely that you can have your car serviced by an independent and the warranty, in law, will be good. When my cars are out of warranty I use an independent who I trust and I am sure he gives at least as thorough service as any main dealer because he's a guy I've known for 25 years. (And he supports Bristol City)

However - There is one main advantage to having your car serviced at a main dealer, preferably the selling dealership - during the warranty period - they are going to find it very hard to bat any warranty claims into the long grass.

They sold it, they serviced it and no-one else has touched it, so anything missed at a service for example that causes a failure later, is either down to the dealer or manufacturer's warranty.

For the same reason I would give the main dealership any body repairs during warranty.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That's what Dacia are hoping for, people feeling that they are tethered to them for warranty. If the non Dacia/Renault dealer services it exactly to spec and provides written proof, Dacia will be unable to rebut any warranty claim based on service requirements.

A missed service item? If you can evidence the failure then great, I see the point. If you only suspect that something was missed, Dacia/Renault will be no more willing to admit it than anyone else.

My point being in part is that if my local Dacia dealer was any good, I WOULD be going there anyway.

The dealer is Lifestyle Brighton and I am not saying that they are absolutely diabolically rubbish, I am saying that I have found them to be that way and other reviews of them seem to allude to the same level of service that I received. Stay well clear!

·
Registered
288 Posts
My wife took her Renault Clio to a local garage for all of its services after the warranty expired. Over the time she probably saved about £300/400.

Then at about 70k miles the timing belt went virtually wrecking the engine. Transpired that the local garage had not replaced it as they should have at (I think it was) 60k. When challenged their response was "we're not Renault experts - you should have told us it had to be done when you booked it in".

Put a paltry £300 servicing saving into perspective. I'll be sticking with the Dacia dealer I bought my Duster from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
My wife took her Renault Clio to a local garage for all of its services after the warranty expired. Over the time she probably saved about £300/400.

Then at about 70k miles the timing belt went virtually wrecking the engine. Transpired that the local garage had not replaced it as they should have at (I think it was) 60k. When challenged their response was "we're not Renault experts - you should have told us it had to be done when you booked it in".

Put a paltry £300 servicing saving into perspective. I'll be sticking with the Dacia dealer I bought my Duster from.

Did you/she ask for a manufacturer's service according to the manufacturers service schedule? If not it was your error not theirs. If you did, you have a evidenced case for a claim.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The services were all booked to be carried out per Renault service handbook, which was always handed to the garage with the keys. The failure didn't happen until about a year after the last service. The Glass' value by then was only £300 and we just cut our losses and gave it to our petrol-head grandson who spent many (happy?) hours taking it apart. Never did get it running again though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts