UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dacia & The Duster ... a pre-ordering story ... are there others?

Well, as the excitement grows for the community of pre-ordering Duster customers and the delivery stories start to roll in alongside the tales of confusion and delay, I found myself browsing my phone for some distraction ... and there they were - some photos I'd taken of the 'Display Duster' outside the dealer's showroom last year. It took me back to September, when I'd booked my car in for a service and just casually mentioned that I was thinking of changing my diesel Clio and the service manager just came out with it - "Have you seen the Duster?" I wondered if this was some kind of secret agent code talk and I was supposed to come out with a prearranged response like "Yes, it is in my cupboard, but there is rain expected soon." Thankfully my confused expression triggered his full explanation about Dacia and The Duster (a new panto this Christmas perhaps? ... move over Jack & the Beanstalk) ... and that the Duster really did exist - just like Santa Claus - and, what's more, I could visit it right there and then outside the showroom. So I did ... and was immediately smitten by the Duster bug. I took the photos so that my wife might understand why I was so late home. She was a bit suspicious and demanded to visit the Duster herself. So we did. Then, after 'doing the Maths', I pre-ordered. Will we live happily ever after?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am sure you will eventually get it but as you say .... when???

The best review I've seen (can't actually remember which) is the one where they say at the end ... remind yourself why you bought the duster by placing the price inside and you'll smile and remember why you bought it.

I view mine in September and after a couple weeks of research ordered on the 5th of October. Don't think my two week delay ordering would have affected their 2 month delay
(so far)

Reactions: StoneBreaker

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have been following the Duster since its European launch a couple of years ago, have always thought there would be a market for a cheap 4x4. Most of the year 2 wheel drive is fine, but with a 40 mile roud trip to work on country roads, often ungritted, flooded or covered in mud thought 4x4 useful.

As soon as possible after the UK launch went to Renault dealer and pre-ordered, as the LHD demo seemed even better than I had anticipated. Also Mrs. Springer didn't object.

Then having test driven RHD version in January found little to change my mind.

Despite the delays, I am sure that we will not regret buying the Duster, and we owners have become our own cult through these forums - I hope that Duster owners will acknowledge each other on the roads much as classic VW Beetle owners used to (or still do as far as I know).

Can't wait to get my paws on it (pun intended...)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I hope that Duster owners will acknowledge each other on the roads
I hope so too..... being as we've shared in the therapy so far. Having said that, I'm still waiting to see my first Duster on the roads round here!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used to drive a smart car. Pile of sh**, if I'm honest.

Divorce settlement, nuff said.

However, the thing I liked about it was that most smart car drivers always acknowledged each other.

I most certainly will be giving a wave to others.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not that I will pass many of ye UK guys on the road I do intend to go to Scotland at some stage and possibly France.... So do we need to dream up a special "private" Duster wave

·
Registered
324 Posts
I plan to do a tour of Ireland. Better plan the wave before that.

Mind you should concentrate on getting the car first!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that I will pass many of ye UK guys on the road I do intend to go to Scotland at some stage and possibly France.... So do we need to dream up a special "private" Duster wave
Special wave is a great idea, irishwhiskeychaser. Would suggest that in thinking about the design of the wave we should avoid any single-finger or two-finger gestures, just to avoid any possible misunderstanding. Also, maybe best to rule out a double-handed wave favoured by Tour-de-France winners as could be a safety issue :) hope to see you on the Scottish roads ... good Duster country (or rather it will be good Duster country once Dusters eventually arrive)

·
Registered
431 Posts
... hope to see you on the Scottish roads ... good Duster country (or rather it will be good Duster country once Dusters eventually arrive)
Good Whisky country too
which will be the main reason for my visit ... I have shares in a couple Casks so there is liquid gold awaiting for me in them there hills

As you may have guessed by my forum name I like the odd drop ...

Also just an excuse to go on Holidays and be surrounded by whisky

·
Registered
319 Posts
I hope so too..... being as we've shared in the therapy so far. Having said that, I'm still waiting to see my first Duster on the roads round here!
I haven't seen a UK one yet but have seen one with a French plate on it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not sure that waving a duster at each other is the kind of macho image I associated with a no frills basic but rugged SUV! Seems a bit "camp" to me but then again "Camp" is the term the Falklanders give to all of the island outside the town limits, and all of them drive 4x4s...thats got to be a rugged lifestyle.
( by the way.. just in case I get sent for diversity counselling!.I have nothing against camp.....its a perfectly acceptable lifestyle choice..and quite entertaining!!)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Maybe a cross between a salute and a roman chest bashing?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Or maybe engage cruise control i.e. a brick ;) hang out the window and give each other high fives. May cause a few issues on the motor way but I'm sure a bit of lateral thinking and we'll be able to get around this :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was also thinking along that line. Why no carry a box of rotten tomatoes and lob them at other dusters.

The only problem I can see is the police!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was also thinking along that line. Why no carry a box of rotten tomatoes and lob them at other dusters.
The only problem I can see is the police!
I love the way that the idea of acknowledging fellow Duster drivers on the road has escalated from a simple but distinctive wave to all-out tomato warfare. I would be worried though that a box of rotten tomatoes sitting on my passenger seat might leak through to the precious upholstery... so I would be inclined to have a few cans of tomatoes instead (quite often buy-one-get-one-free offers in the shops). These might do more damage right enough if tomatoes were left in the unopened can at point of release. What's next ... Molotov cocktails?!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can see a thread about suitable fixings for a dash mounted can opener being started.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What a bout a good old fashioned blast on the horn. But I do like the idea of a tomatoe cannon on the bonnet but I was thinking more for dangerous motorists rather than other Duster drivers!!!!!

Reactions: TonyTheHat

·
Registered
40 Posts
I delivered my first 2 Dusters (Laureate 4x4 and Ambiance 4x4) and a Sandero Ambiance 1.2 to customers in the last couple of days. They were all very excited to be among the the first Dacia drivers in the UK and absolutely delighted with their purchases. Apparently there will be a flood of Dacias into the dealership in the next couple of weeks... With over 80 Dacias now sold I can't wait to get them on the road!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts