UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I are belting along motorways in our Dacia Sombrero (Ooops - I mean Sandero) travelling somewhere near the legal limits we can easily hold conversations and hear the stereo without really having things "belting out".

If her ladyship should sit in the back seat with our baby grandson in his car seat we still have reasonable chats albeit sometimes she has to sort of sit forward to hear clearly what I am saying.

Now, previous to this, we had a high spec Skoda and it had adjustable lumbar support for the front seats (amongst all the other adjustments) and it was really very, very comfortable.

So, sometimes, in our Mexican Hat we get to feel a little uncomfortable - I think this will pass with time because all new seats - in car or at home in our living rooms - take time to fit in with us but here's the thing .......

We spent the last 3 days being ferried around by a friend in a Jaguar XF (top-most-top of the range, big diesel job). At first glance it seems to be a fabulous car. Perhaps true and it cannot be denied that from literally any speed it accelerates like its bum's on fire. It is also beautiful to look at.

BUT WHAT ABOUT "ACID TESTS":

I found the front seats in the Jaguar lacked lumbar support. My wife did not enjoy the rear seat either although she does not like the Sandero's back seat either (maybe because she found the Skoda's were very comfortable).

As to chatting in the car, well, Jaguar XFs are pretty refined but they are not whisper quiet under most conditions and so "she" often had to lean forward in this car too.

I suppose the Jaguar's ICE needs a mention - OK - I give in - it's pretty much "concert hall quality" but, actually, I find the Sandero's unit pretty good for radio reception and its playback from a memory stick is, well, LOUD and GOOD.

The Jaguar XF does smooth out the vast majority of our nasty road's imperfections where maybe a Sandero bounces around a bit but, honestly, we do find the Sandero copes pretty well and is in fact better than the Skoda it replaced on badly rutted roads.

So, on one of our regular trips the petrol Skoda gave us approx. 43 mpg. As in other posts our Sombrandero is doing about 57 mpg - - - - the Jaguar?

The Jaguar did somewhere around 39 mpg over approx 340 miles (fantastic really but I did not realise before that our mate drives like a nun).

MY QUESTION:

Is: A bit faster; a small bit quieter; a bit less economical; a bit indifferent for comfort, really worth about £30k difference in price?

ANSWER:

Being honest, I simply cannot afford and never will afford to buy an XF.

And, actually, I won't ever afford to buy a new Skoda Octavia in Elegance trim di-dah-di-dah.

And I am still very happy because for a grand ma and grand dad with occasional need to transport a small child and the wish for some comfort and lots of economy - give us a Sandero anytime!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Very nicely put . A classic example of the law of diminishing returns . A Jag is a fine car but is it £30K finer . ?
Badge elitism is a very expensive game to play and isn't there a certain satisfaction in just being content with having got real value for money ?

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
How wonderfully eloquently put.
I think function and how you use your car, is an often over-looked part of car sales. Heated seats and adjustable lumbar support are not worth 30k imho.
I,m sure there are those that will disagree and will quote build quality etc etc not forgetting that all marques have issues with the bits highlighted on other threads.
My parents bought a jag 5 years ago after many happy merc years and miles...it went back after 3 weeks and they lost a couple of grand on it....why.....mum found the seats unbearably uncomfortable...and they went back to merc.
So i think comfort is important.
And in our collective, a certain amount of bravery and a bit of bravado in supporting a brand new marque into an unknown market...delivering smugness and satisfaction to the few (soon to be the many) who have done the maths !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
I used to have a fake Rolex, and was working in a Merchant Bank in London. One of the dealers was mocking my watch, which cost $10, saying his £15K Rolex was better.

I said, "Well mine keeps perfect time, what does yours do?"

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
You can't go wrong with that thinking DDD, it's been my philosophy for most of my life. I like to have nice things but I shy away from buying big brand names just because I know I'd be paying more for the name than the product (see the broken windows thread for a classic example).

It doesn't always work of course, I bought a whoflungdung Chinese android phone a couple of years back that lasted six painful weeks before dying. The lesson I took from that was if you're going to buy cheap, buy from somewhere you can return it without mortgaging the house.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I learnt that lesson when I went from a astra to a BMW I series, thought my social standing had finally arrived to where I thought it should be' truth was the beemer was horrific to drive in the snowy 2010 winter and most mornings saw me waiting for the bus because I was scared to use it in snow and yet some people thought I was mad getting shut and buying a Focus' it's amazing (or sad) how that small badge on the bonnet is all that counts on a car to some folk

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you get a lot of snow, all the back wheel drive cars get stuck. BMWs and Mercs are always stranded on hills etc... a good car should suit the owner's preferences. The badge is just about how much money you chose to invest in your personal transport.

I don't care what anybody thinks about me. All I know is that I can get from A to B using less fuel than most other cars. My only preference was a diesel powered car with front wheel drive and four doors. Everything else is just window dressing.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
When you get a lot of snow, all the back wheel drive cars get stuck. BMWs and Mercs are always stranded on hills etc... a good car should suit the owner's preferences. The badge is just about how much money you chose to invest in your personal transport.

I don't care what anybody thinks about me. All I know is that I can get from A to B using less fuel than most other cars. My only preference was a diesel powered car with front wheel drive and four doors. Everything else is just window dressing.
Don't know- me' ABS ESC and front and side bags are a given

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
MX5's were quite bad in snow. I knew some people who used to put a sack of cat litter in the boot. The weight helped with traction, and if you got stuck you could shovel it under the tyres for added traction.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I bought my duster in June, in August my Son in Law purchased a BMW X5.
I must admit to a little smugness when I think that over the next three years he will lose more than I paid for my Duster.
Obviously the Duster is not up to the same spec as the BMW, but it does everything I want it to do, including towing the Caterham.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Don't know- me' ABS ESC and front and side bags are a given
That was the only downside of getting mine so early... No ESC/ABS not sure how much I'm going to need it but must admit not noticed any thing when driving round the windy roads in Essex

Sent from my iPad using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Very nicely put . A classic example of the law of diminishing returns . A Jag is a fine car but is it £30K finer . ?
Badge elitism is a very expensive game to play and isn't there a certain satisfaction in just being content with having got real value for money ?
Any car is £30k+ finer if it doesn't make your bank manager twitch, you can still pay the mortgage and you can still afford a winter and summer holiday somewhere. However, I agree. I find myself parking next to expensive cars if I can! :D (With the added bonus that the owners will probably be careful not to mark their door edge by hitting my white Duster!)

·
Registered
577 Posts
When Bettie the Duster arrived my neighbour who owns a 3 year old 5 Series BMW came over had a look at Bettie and said "is that one of them cheap indian heaps" he was of course joking but had a smug look at his BMW as he returned to his drive. 2 weeks ago I noticed that he was jet washing his drive and I asked if everything was ok and he said that he had a really bad oil leak and the BMW garage could not find where it was coming from and his warranty had expired a few months before.

As I walked back to Bettie with her 7 year warranty I gave her a little smug pat ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
When Bettie the Duster arrived my neighbour who owns a 3 year old 5 Series BMW came over had a look at Bettie and said "is that one of them cheap indian heaps" he was of course joking but had a smug look at his BMW as he returned to his drive. 2 weeks ago I noticed that he was jet washing his drive and I asked if everything was ok and he said that he had a really bad oil leak and the BMW garage could not find where it was coming from and his warranty had expired a few months before.

As I walked back to Bettie with her 7 year warranty I gave her a little smug pat ;)
Careful !!! Don't bruise Bettie.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Plus his BMW cost more driving out the forcourt than A duster for life :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Duster Forum Moderator
1,117 Posts
Hi DDD, welcome to the forum. I am so glad you are happy with your sandero. As a fellow grandparent of 3 toddlers I am more than happy with my duster. It has lots of room for two car seats in the back and I dont need to worry about bumping the children's heads when getting them in the car like their Mum does in her audi and their Dad does in his merc :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
That was the only downside of getting mine so early... No ESC/ABS not sure how much I'm going to need it but must admit not noticed any thing when driving round the windy roads in Essex

Sent from my iPad using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app
u dont have esc/esp

u do have abs on ur duster its standard ;)

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
So many acronyms, too many to remember!

"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
We all buy what we can afford at the end of the day. The more expensive the car, the more refined it is in a nutshell. Whether that be power, gadgets, road holding, etc.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.