UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping for some help or advice here.

Went to school to pick up son, got back into car and the key wouldn't turn. Assumed it was steering lock so did the usual shoogle, still wound't turn. Locked and unlocked the doors and key out and in a couple of times and away it went. Pulled up at the house, stopped the car, took the key out and the handbrake light, eco wording stayed lit up even with the key out. I started it up again and the hazards flashed on, stopped the car, key out and still lights on. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm five hours away from where I bought the car, but am on holiday next week and having the horrors of coming back to a flat battery after a long flight. Any suggestions very welcome!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
That's more than likely a faulty ignition switch, or a possible electrical fault.. I would certainly get it checked out soon as....
Although the dealer you got it from is 5hrs away, You can take it to any Dacia dealer to get it checked out under its warranty... I think that should get repaired under warranty.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
On my Duster the handbrake,ECO and time stay on until I hit the lock on key and they go out. When I unlock the car via button on key and open door they all come on???????? it's supposed to do that.
The sticking key is not normal though ????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try disconecting NEGATIVE side of battery for 15 miins then reconnect.

This should give the system a chance to reboot and go back to normal settings.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
On mine the eco, handbrake light and fuel gauge (showing empty) will remain on for a while after the turning off the ignition, they also light up when you unlock the car before inserting the key.

Sticking key isn't normal though, although its possible you may have turned the key before it was fully in and this is why it wouldn't engage.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts

Went to school to pick up son, got back into car and the key wouldn't turn. Assumed it was steering lock so did the usual shoogle, still wound't turn. Locked and unlocked the doors and key out and in a couple of times and away it went. Pulled up at the house, stopped the car, took the key out and the handbrake light, eco wording stayed lit up even with the key out. I started it up again and the hazards flashed on, stopped the car, key out and still lights on. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm five hours away from where I bought the car, but am on holiday next week and having the horrors of coming back to a flat battery after a long flight. Any suggestions very welcome!
Apart for the 'sticking lock' that's normal, the lights do stay on for a minute or so ! ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,
Worth trying a dry lubricant in the sticky lock.

Graphite from a pencil sometimes works if you run the pencil lead up and down the rough edges of the key...this is then transferred into the interior workings of the lock for lubrication!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know something, I am so grateful to you all for the replies.

Have been out again twice in the car and so far I've had no bother with the key, it turns perfectly each time. The lights are still the handbrake, eco and the fuel guage (showing empty) as Giffer 2 as - maybe I'm paranoid but I'd never ever noticed them before today! I get 2 flashes of the hazard lights on the dash when I lock the car which again I had never noticed before. I am going to try the second key in it when husband comes home with it and see if it's something as simple as that. Might also do the battery thing while I'm at it, no harm really is there?

Hope this is some sort of glitch or blonde (not really) moment of paranoia!! Will keep reporting.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hazards flashing on lock/unlock is also perfectly normal.
Thanks Giffer2 - I have had this car a year now and never noticed these lights staying on before. Must have just paid attention when the key stuck if you know what I mean! Appreciate the reassurance though.......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Giffer2 - I have had this car a year now and never noticed these lights staying on before. Must have just paid attention when the key stuck if you know what I mean! Appreciate the reassurance though.......
I've just looked at quote as I found I was in the car waiting my partner doing shopping. As they got out noticed parking brake light on with key out. I put key in turned it on & off. Was wondering why its was on. Found this & it went out on its own after a minute. Usually I park in sun not the shade, so guess I'd never noticed the parking brake light staying on a while. Thanks for this reassurance.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts

Could be ignition swith or a little black box called BODY CONTROL MODULE . This controls numerous electrical functions , i think ignition, stop start , facia to name just some ????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts