UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if Dacia have actually upped the engine size from 1461cc to 1598cc as shown on the Dacia.co.uk website for the dCi 90 or is it a miss-print ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've spotted loads of mistakes on the website, that's just one of them. Most manufacturers change their spec once a year but Dacia have made many minor changes since the UK launch meaning that the website and brochures seem to be out of date. For example I know some people that ordered a Stepway when a leather steering wheel and rear electric windows were standard however their car took so long the spec had changed and those items needed to be ordered as an option which they would have ordered if they'd known. A bit disappointing! About the engine, I'm not aware that Renault ever use a 1598cc diesel. I think this is just a silly mistake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Since 2011. I'm such a geek with stuff like that, I'm ashamed that I didn't know Hehe!! Both VW and Fiat use a 1598 diesel engine. Fiat share theirs with Vauxhall now but what about with VW? It's got all the same spec and characteristics as the Fiat engines but nowhere can I find a link between the two. Maybe VW don't want to admit a link with Fiat. Anyway, wrong forum, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Since 2011. I'm such a geek with stuff like that, I'm ashamed that I didn't know Hehe!! Both VW and Fiat use a 1598 diesel engine. Fiat share theirs with Vauxhall now but what about with VW? It's got all the same spec and characteristics as the Fiat engines but nowhere can I find a link between the two. Maybe VW don't want to admit a link with Fiat. Anyway, wrong forum, just my thoughts.
think its the pug 1.6 hdi engine, recall reading Honda where going to start using it somewhere. I've only got knowledge of the very early 1.6 tdci in a focus 2006, I had the 110 dpf engine, the dpf was a problem on the early ones, also my dmf was on its way out at 27000 miles. Think Volvo, pug, Citroen, merc, Ford, VW, skoda, seat and Honda use a version of this.
Eventually I wastold by the Ford dept that the 1.6 90hp tdci was the more reliable, as the earlier versions had no dpf, and anything below 100bhp had a solid flywheel.
The turbos in the early versions had a bad reputation for destruction, I remember Ford had to engine flush at every service to make sure there was no old oil contamination, no problem with the Turbo on my Ford.... had the the same engine in a Citroen, obviously the Citroen maintenence dept didn't flush as mine went pop in my c4.
Hopefully Renault/Nissan will continue to use its own engines!!!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ah yes, Mini have been using the same 1560cc engine and Ford and Peugeot/Citroen for a long time. I read that it was a joint development between Ford and P/C, don't know why mini were involved. Anyhow, they're now also using a 1598cc diesel engine. I'm sure it's the same engine as also used by Fiat, Vauxhall and VW, I've traced it's roots back to 2008 when it seems it was first fitted by Alpha Romeo and badged as a JTD. Are all these makers really sharing variations on the same engine? I was in a Hyundai dealer the other day, the chap I spoke to rather proudly told me that Hyundai design and make all their own engines. That must he very costly.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
everyone engine shares now, development costs are so high.

Didn't know about Fiat sharing with Vauxhall are you sure? I know they share with Suzuki and Alfa Romeo.

VW of course share with Skoda, Seat and Audi.

Ford share with Mazda, Volvo and Jaguar.

Vauxhall share with Chevrolet, Opel and used to be Saab

BMW sharing with Toyota is a new one i have spotted.

Mercedes engines are in Sanyong, Mitsubishi and Smart.

etc

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I'm certain, it goes back to an agreement made some time ago between Fiat and Vauxhall when GM was falling apart in Europe. Although the Fiat take over of GM Europe failed there was already an agreement in place to share some engines.

·
Registered
517 Posts
my Volvo had a Mitsubishi engine, the Kia Ceed we used in Saudi had a Chrysler/Mitsi 2.00Ltr lump the same as my Chrysler Neon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Engine sharing is nothing new. Back in the 1970s Triumph and Saab shared the same engine. The Dolomite Sprint engine was detuned and used in the Saab 99. In the 1980s, Volvo used the VW diesel engine in their 740 diesels. Unfortunately it wasn't very well received. Owners complained, when it packed in, that it wasn't a reliable engine. It was. The owners wrongly assumed that as it was a diesel, it didn't need the same level of maintenance as a petrol engined model and skimped on the servicing, thus leading to breakdowns. The Ford Focus ST used to use the Vovo V40 floorpan and the Volvo T5 engine. Whether or not they still do, I do not know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts