UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

Looking to buy a Logan but can't make up my mind on the dci or tce engine, so looking for advice from existing owners regarding these engines and any pros or cons I need to consider.

We've got 3 growing kids so was erring towards the dci90 with it's extra torque, but we only do about 8K a year.

With the free 5 year warranty on the DCI90 models at the moment it means the difference is only about £500 between the 2 engines, so should be able to recoup the difference in about 2 - 3 years on this mileage.

I read the French were trying to discourage the take up of more diesel cars with taxation etc so wondering if that might become a Europe wide problem in the near future worth considering.

Any advice would be welcome

regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having re-read your original post, based on the current offer on the dci I'd defo opt for the diesel
Many thanks for the quick reply; i used the official mpg figures (combined cycle) 56.5 & 74.3 respectively.

So (8000/74.3) x 4.5L x £1.25 = £605 for the diesel (1 year)

and (8000/56.5) x 4.5L x £1.20 = £764 for the petrol

Given that the real life mpgs are generally lower then I would spend more on fuel and so the differential in the above example greater.

Also combined with the zero road tax on the diesel it should be covered easily in 3 years assuming I would be going for the 5 year warranty on both cars.

I was just worried that our journeys are mostly about 8 miles so wondering if that was an issue, also didn't consider any differences in servicing costs between the 2 engines, am I missing anything major?

My main concern was that if we went a longer trip fully loaded with 3 kids, suitcases in the back, a couple of bikes on top etc that the 3 cyl would be thrashed up motorway slopes for example opposed to the lower end torq of the diesel; I know they are the same 90 bhp but the petrol delivers this at double the rpm!

Anything else I need to think about?

Kind regards

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went for a TCe, mainly because I prefer petrol due to working on and around diesel vehicles, diesel is for tractors and cleaning parts. Also recent rumblings from government and Europe make me think the hayday of Diesel powered cars may soon be coming to an end, with higher taxation and other disincentives.

Finally with ever tightening emissions regulations diesel engines are no longer very simple, infact they are far more complex than petrol engines. Making faults more difficult to diagnose, parts more expensive and more prone to failure. That said, from what I have read recently renault have got the DPF problem licked, but my choice was still petrol.

Last thing, Ex Demo TCe's come up alot cheaper than diesels. My logan laureate with options and 283 miles was £8295. Would have paid £10750 for brand new.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Many thanks for the quick reply; i used the official mpg figures (combined cycle) 56.5 & 74.3 respectively.
So (8000/74.3) x 4.5L x £1.25 = £605 for the diesel (1 year)
and (8000/56.5) x 4.5L x £1.20 = £764 for the petrol

Given that the real life mpgs are generally lower then I would spend more on fuel and so the differential in the above example greater.

Also combined with the zero road tax on the diesel it should be covered easily in 3 years assuming I would be going for the 5 year warranty on both cars.

I was just worried that our journeys are mostly about 8 miles so wondering if that was an issue, also didn't consider any differences in servicing costs between the 2 engines, am I missing anything major?

My main concern was that if we went a longer trip fully loaded with 3 kids, suitcases in the back, a couple of bikes on top etc that the 3 cyl would be thrashed up motorway slopes for example opposed to the lower end torq of the diesel; I know they are the same 90 bhp but the petrol delivers this at double the rpm!

Anything else I need to think about?

Kind regards
I've got a tce Logan and 3 kids, big dog etc and I'm yet to have it struggle at all, but with the offer on the dci I would go for that, I drove the dci Clio as a courtesy car, if its the same engine its great, the only advantage is the dacia skips out on the start stop tech, I could see that causing more problems than anything else.
To me the tce is more fun, but that's only if you like that sort of thing.
The tce can return 55mpg on the right journey, but after a few more fill ups its more realistic to call it 50mpg, some even say lower.
The tce doesn't need a timing belt replacement, but going by the norm it'll only need doing every 6 years (not 100% on that) on the dci anyway and shouldn't cost much£200-400 pound at a guess.
I've not read anywhere of anyone having a problem with the tce, but then again its fairly modern.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a tce Logan and 3 kids, big dog etc and I'm yet to have it struggle at all, but with the offer on the dci I would go for that, I drove the dci Clio as a courtesy car, if its the same engine its great, the only advantage is the dacia skips out on the start stop tech, I could see that causing more problems than anything else.
To me the tce is more fun, but that's only if you like that sort of thing.
The tce can return 55mpg on the right journey, but after a few more fill ups its more realistic to call it 50mpg, some even say lower.
The tce doesn't need a timing belt replacement, but going by the norm it'll only need doing every 6 years (not 100% on that) on the dci anyway and shouldn't cost much£200-400 pound at a guess.
I've not read anywhere of anyone having a problem with the tce, but then again its fairly modern.

Thanks for the replies

It's good to know the TCe can pull OK loaded up too.

The other consideration was the possibility of DIY maintenance beyond the warranty period, I've tried to do as much as I can in the past and wonder if anyone has any comments regarding that?

For the last 12 years I've owned 2 318i estates, the first one (E36) was brilliant, but the 2nd, an E46, has been nothing but trouble (the diff disintegrated at 140k a few weeks back) so after crawling around on my back for a several hours a year I thought I'd ditch German "quality" for some Romanian/French h-hmm quality (backed up with a warranty) after "I done the maths"; That is assuming they honour that warranty, on any problems, of course! I figured it's cost me about £1000 a year in depreciation + £££ on yearly faults on an older car so was hoping to have some peace of mind shipping the kids about whilst coining in on some improved fuel/road tax/insurance costs.

After having a good look around the logan in the show room they appear to be a throw back to more simple times, I particularly liked the bike cable head light adjustment, as apposed to electric motors; I'll be going for the ambiance with the manual rear window winders too, having had 3 of the 4 mechanisms fail on our current car (due to kids pressing the up and down buttons continuously etc). The less bits to go wrong the better as far as I'm concerned.

I had a look at some of the part prices online for sandero/logan serviceable items and they look pretty cheap.

Any other comments welcome

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the replies

It's good to know the TCe can pull OK loaded up too.

The other consideration was the possibility of DIY maintenance beyond the warranty period, I've tried to do as much as I can in the past and wonder if anyone has any comments regarding that?

For the last 12 years I've owned 2 318i estates, the first one (E36) was brilliant, but the 2nd, an E46, has been nothing but trouble (the diff disintegrated at 140k a few weeks back) so after crawling around on my back for a several hours a year I thought I'd ditch German "quality" for some Romanian/French h-hmm quality (backed up with a warranty) after "I done the maths"; That is assuming they honour that warranty, on any problems, of course! I figured it's cost me about £1000 a year in depreciation + £££ on yearly faults on an older car so was hoping to have some peace of mind shipping the kids about whilst coining in on some improved fuel/road tax/insurance costs.

After having a good look around the logan in the show room they appear to be a throw back to more simple times, I particularly liked the bike cable head light adjustment, as apposed to electric motors; I'll be going for the ambiance with the manual rear window winders too, having had 3 of the 4 mechanisms fail on our current car (due to kids pressing the up and down buttons continuously etc). The less bits to go wrong the better as far as I'm concerned.

I had a look at some of the part prices online for sandero/logan serviceable items and they look pretty cheap.

Any other comments welcome
good luck with your decision, I had about 10 mins to choose my engine in the showroom as we had to get back dmfor the kids :blink:
If you have alot of things to transport then I'd probably opt for the Logan, I think the new laureates come with wind your own back windows now anyway. Depends on what you want, but the air con sold it to the wife, and the speed limiter to me.
Think the stepway comes with more equippment though.
Back on the engines the tce was sold the tce to me by how many miles of petrol I could get from the price difference on the diesel, (about £1000 at the time) and suprisingly on the Logan the tce is only 30 pa on the road tax.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Its a problem, the TcE engine is a cracker, and that's its problem, if you drive like it would like you to drive it forget 50mpg, the DcI engine being a diesel is not quite as exuberant - but it has the same performance and try as I might I cant get mine to return less than 55 mpg, that's short journeys lots of steep hill climbing, hard acceleration, if I can control myself the thing returns over 70mpg, you wont get out of the TcE.

The DPF is a non issue with these engines, the only problems I have encountered are with owners who run them on a mixture of chip fat and biodiesel, stick to Renault spec fuel and you cant go wrong. As I have said before on this forum somewhere passengers often ask me what type of engine I have; because its so smooth they cant tell if its petrol or diesel.

It seems inevitable that some diesels will be banned - as will some petrol engines, but the Renault 1.5 will be spared because of its green credentials at least until 2025 so the issues with diesel wont affect any car you buy today. The outcry from "vested interests" has caused lots of backtracking on this already.

Given your situation I would definitely go with the diesel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the 1.5 110 dCi engine non turbo in my Scenic, so similar to the Dacia dCi. Without a turbo, engine needs to be worked, which means mpg suffers. On the motorway with the cruise 50+ mpg is possible. Everyday town stop/start use is high 30s to low 40s mpg. Real world figures are not close to what Renault claim.

How the Dacia's figures compare, I can't say as I don't have one. Yet.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Hi Kevin, Scenic will be a Turbo all K9K engines are.

My wife has the 0.9tce Sandero, it has better acceleration and top speed than the Dci however it achieves quite poor mpg. Her commute is about 7 miles each way and she gets 35 - 37 mpg. The good things are its very quiet and warms up far faster in winter than the diesel does, so the heater is on much sooner. Its a light modern engine compared to the old 1.5 Dci (2001), but until Dacia are allowed to use the much improved Renault 1.6 Dci your stuck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I have the logan ambience 1.5 d but was looking at the 1.2 access at the start, and then the tce ambience.

In my case with the milse I do, about 550 per week, it had to be the diesel, as it may be worth more at the

time it needs to go. With all 3 options and the time I expect to keep the car the overall costs where very similar,

taking into account purchase price, fuel, tax and services.

With the offer on at the moment the 1.5d must over the best value, which I think is confirmed by your figures.

Which ever you go for I am certain you will not regret it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Just seen someone has posted this website on another thread

www.howmanyleft.co.uk

From this interesting source it can be seen that the uptake of the DCI is 70% greater than the TCE looking at 2014 figures! (I couldn't extract this info from the dealer when I asked them so a useful website on how people are voting with their feet)

It looks like the DCI may be the best option for our situation.

One other question, does anyone know if the Dacia diesels use Dual Mass Flywheels? I couldn't work out how to do a thread search on this forum so may have been asked before?

regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Kevin, Scenic will be a Turbo all K9K engines are.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The following use the K9K engine without a turbo:

K9K 700/704. Logan, Clio, Kangoo, Thalia, Pulse. Suzuki Jimny. Nissan Micra. Mahindra Verito.

K9K 792. Sandero. Clio.

K9K 260/702/710/722. Megane, Clio, Thalia, Kangoo, Scenic. Nissan Micra & Almera.

K9K 728/766/772/796/830. Clio, Scala, Modus, Megane. Sandero. 2005-2010.

K9K 892. Logan, Sandero. Clio. Nissan Note & NV200. 2010 on

K9K 608/609. Clio & Captur. 2013 on

Not all models and engines were/are applicable to the UK market.

If mine has a turbo, then it is useless. No oomph in it at all. If mine is supposed to be close to 110 hp, I think most of them ponies must have jumped off before the ferry left froggyland.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A word of warning though if you are undecided which one to go for' it looks like the EU has the diesel engine in its sights and there's talk of it even being banned in its homeland France

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sit corrected. Obviously I have been given the wrong info.

All I can say is the 110 engine is gutless in the Scenic. I certainly won't be wanting it again. Don't get me wrong, with the cruise on, it is ok, but if you need the oomph up a hill, it needs to be worked, harming the mpg.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Think it would gutless in the duster too if it wasn't for the low gearing, this is also hurting mpg at anything but pedestrian speeds.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Just seen someone has posted this website on another thread

www.howmanyleft.co.uk

From this interesting source it can be seen that the uptake of the DCI is 70% greater than the TCE looking at 2014 figures! (I couldn't extract this info from the dealer when I asked them so a useful website on how people are voting with their feet)

It looks like the DCI may be the best option for our situation.

One other question, does anyone know if the Dacia diesels use Dual Mass Flywheels? I couldn't work out how to do a thread search on this forum so may have been asked before?

regards
the dmf should be under warranty, the clutch is also replaced at the same time.
You can spare the dmf stress by driving how it likes it, it should last as long as the clutch really, as long as it's not driven in too low a gear making it struggle, you don't drag the clutch out at every gearchange, and you don't do an excessive amount of starting the engine up and switching off or stalling it at every set of lights it should remain in good condition.
I think Stan laurel once told oliver hardy in a film I can't remember the name "treat it with kindness, you'll get alot more out of it" but he also in another film explained "you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead" wise words of wisdom..... Or confusion :))
Good luck in your decision still.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts