UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught the side of the car on a bollard - not feeling too great and although we pushed the bumper back there are bits of it that are broken inside so looking at a new one :( plus car wing chipped and needs painting ! Any ideas on cost and whether better going to dacia dealer or car repair shop? Gutted (and feeling rather stupid)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Prob cheaper to claim from insurance and pay the excess, your prob looking at a fairly hefty price for those parts, I'd guess the excess will be lower.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Feel for you. its the worst feeling in the world surveying the damage. Most dealers sub contract the body work anyway so save yourself a fortune and find a good body shop and she'll soon be as good as new

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have protected no claims so... :( is it cheaper to do it in one go? Aghhh so annoyed at myself. I tried to post a pic but nowhere to do it

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't be too annoyed it happens unfortunately, on the plus side you'll never do it again.
Years ago I took my fiesta to a decent repair shop and it wasn't too bad, new bumper, headlight and upper lower grille.
One of the wings had to be resprayed because the bumper had knocked the paint off the edge.
All because a pheasant decided to dart across the road at the same time as my car.
It wasn't too bad, 4 hundred and something, they did give me the option to go through insurance though as they was used by Churchill when I was with them.
Pop it into a few. Get a few prices and go from there, try and use ones that offer a guarantee on repairs too, always handy in the event of something being found in the future.
I wish you luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One independent person said he could replace the bracket (there is no visible damage to the front of the bumper it is the bracket behind) or do I just go for a new one? I waiting for quotes on two places but the dealer said at least 600 quid!! Don't want to go through insurance as no claims not protected bit if it is this expensive then ...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hiya Depending on the cost of a reputable independent I'd go with them, the dealers only outsource the work anyway, very few have their own bodyshops nowadays, but will add a bit on top for themselves.
Officially you would still need to report it to insurance, but that's really up to you, trust me it will put your premium up somewhat, even though it didn't cost them anything.
I've been in a similar position myself a few times, and had my premiums raised, but if you fight it you can normally counter it.
Especially as the 3rd party in your case is unlikely to make a claim.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Don't whatever you do report it to your insurance broker' if no one else is involved and your paying for the repairs then it would simply be madness as your be marked as a risk and for the next 5 years your premiums will reflect this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts