UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only a week of having my lovely, shiny, Dacia Sandero Laureate. I have been involved in a bad Road Traffic Accident and now have a rather huge dent on the bonnet, the kind of huge dent that can't be banged out.

Has anyone ever needed to get a large part? such as a new bonnet? Any ideas on timescales and costs would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very bad stuff. Injuries but nothing life-threatening.

Yeah I don't imagine it to be quick, it's being looked into but really looking for any experience or advice on it. Totally lost!

·
Registered
122 Posts
What do you think Insurance Companies are for?? Turn the whole thing over to them , & let them get on with it . Why keep a dog & bark yourself??

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it was that simple Tiptronic,

I'm on 7 day insurance and the excess is £500 by default.

Due to the circumstances under which the accident happened, there's nobody I can actually claim off. In other words, My only option is to pay for something that isn't my fault, and I can't do a damn thing about it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wish it was that simple Tiptronic,

I'm on 7 day insurance and the excess is £500 by default.

Due to the circumstances under which the accident happened, there's nobody I can actually claim off. In other words, My only option is to pay for something that isn't my fault, and I can't do a damn thing about it.
I bought new bonnet in white for my ford van cost me £167 total, brand new and then got it painted locally. Just ask garage cost of part you got it from

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I'm just worried that the part might be very hard to get hold of. My sister works at the dealership I got the car from and will look into things from her end.

My boss is a bit of a car enthusiast so will probably ask him today... this is assuming I'm able to drive myself to work.

I've seen that one Macnamara (thanks), but it does state that it's for the earlier model further down the page. I've googled the heck out of it and can't see the 2013 model bonnet :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh right my friend , under the circumstances I do feel sorry for you , &hope you get it all sorted soon to your satisfaction. On the positive side , nothing is as bad as it seems .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's not looking good for me. Despite the whole thing not being my fault. it's looking like I'm going to have to pay the £500 excess.

They've said they will try to claim it back by default, but I've been told that in the circumstances, it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to claim anything back. Therefore I may have to resort to personally taking legal action against the other party to recover the cost of the damage done to my car (which, believe me is bound to be controversial territory)

To be honest, I'm really annoyed at the whole thing. What's the point in having insurance when they can't even do anything when I'm wronged?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's simple, contact police, criminal damage, job done! give them invoice.................

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm trying to avoid detailing specifics, but I don't think I can get around it any longer!

Basically, I've been driving as normal, and a cyclist (child), has come out in front of me. At 40mph, with them not wearing a helmet. they are very lucky to be alive. It was very traumatic for everyone involved, but lots of witnesses said it wasn't my fault, the mum hugged me and was trying to calm me down.

The kid is ok, and has a broken leg, so nothing permanent. She is said to be in good spirits despite what's happened, which is the best news.

But I pretty much HAVE to go through the insurance by law, meaning I have to pay the high excess on what's not technically my fault. But as it's a child on a bicycle, there's nobody to claim against.

I'm not trying to be horrible and I'm not just going to heartlessly sue left, right and centre for everything I can get, I'm not money grabbing scumbag and I'm not out to cause emotional distress. But you can understand where I'm coming from surely? Surely I shouldn't be paying for what's not my fault?

So, as it stands, there's this excess of £500 and I was trying to find out if the parts were going to be cheaper, so I could do it myself. But to be honest, the insurance is probably more than likely my first and best bet of recovering anything and providing legal protection should the parents want to take legal action (which I feel could happen in this day and age's blame culture)

The whole thing is making me upset at what has happened, but then angry that there's nothing that can be done. And I'm nearly constantly flipping between upset and angry. Just getting a bit lost :(

Sorry for the outburst.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Criminal damage child or not, I had a brand new 500cc motorbike child ran into side of me when I was in a cue, stationary in traffic the bike and me went down and damaged exhaust, I just got police involved and they paid for damage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would suggest making a trip to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, they will have occurences like this on their database and could probably advise you on the best route to take.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've called Citizens Advice this afternoon, and they've basically said the only thing to do is go through the insurance and failing that, small claims court.

But I've read other people getting success stories, either suing direct or via claiming through the parents home insurance?

But I just feel horrible doing it... you know? :(

I'm going to call the police again later and see what stage the investigation is up to and what they advise I do, cause I'm just lost over here :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yup - You should be able to get your insurers to make the claim / recovery of the excess at the very least against the child's parents household insurance - That's why they have an x-million pound liability element nowadays! I would go knock on their door and ask for their insurers details - And if they refuse, push for it with the Police! It's criminal damage (albeit under the age of prosecution and without intent) but it is also wilful negligence on their part... They should then refer you to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board or similar, depending where you are in the UK.

Reactions: Tiptronic

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: The repairs are going to come to over £1,000. So I'm going to have to go through my insurance!!!

Which means I need to turn to the parents of the kid... an awkward moral and legal nightmare.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts