UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but here are a few pics of my installation of my cheap dash cam.

First off this is the cam, priced around £30, quite a low quality picture but number plates are easily read during the day, night time quality is lower though.

Camera.jpg

I chose to install the camera in front of the rear view mirror. This way it's hidden from my sight and doesn't block any forward view. Also it is difficult to see from outside the car; very discreet.

ExteriorView.jpg

The picture below shows the side view of the mounting and the routing of the cable which is tucked behind the headlining out of sight (highlighted in red) The other object on the mirror is my reversing sensor, that too follows the same route for its cables.

MirrorCloseUp.jpg

Below is the routing in the car, as you can see along the headlining, where the cable is easily pushed in between it and the roof, then down the window pillar. The cover for the pillar pulls off, once you have removed door seal as it overlaps this panel! At the bottom of the pillar the cable can be passed down to the passenger fuse box, there's plenty of room.

InteriorRouting.jpg

In the fuse box there are 3 cables needing connecting, they are:

Earth (black)

Permanent live (+ve red)

Switched live (acc white)

The earth was connected to the screw at the bottom of the picture, a good earth there.

The permanent live is piggy backed onto the radio supply, if you are quick you won't have to put the radio code back in.

The acc was piggybacked onto a switched supply on one of the smaller fuses. The piggy back fuse holders can be bought from eBay quite cheaply and is better than just sticking wires in holes, and provides some protection should a cable become shorted to earth.

Now the fuse box cover has a key on it for what fuses are for what ..... on my vehicle it didn't completely correlate with what fuses did what, just be aware of that (I had the same problem on my 2010 Fiesta). I had lots of cable left over and you can see that all curled up. In a few weeks time I'll get rid of that and tidy up the installation, this was just to get it up and running to see if the time & effort was worth it ....... I think it is :)

FuseBox2.jpg

That's all folks! Apart from to say it took me no more than an hour, was simple to carry out and won't (shouldn't) revoke any warranties as can be completely removed with no trace .... the beauty of those piggy back fuse things!

Reactions: Dasycneme

·
Nurse Juju
1,342 Posts
Why did you install the camera? In case you have an accident or to catch thieves?

Did someone say Nurse?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More so because I could :D Seriously though I was thinking about posting small videos up of bad driving; sparked by my trips on my bike to work .... hardly a day goes by when someone sees it their duty to try to reduce the number of cyclists on the road. Only the day before I fitted the cam there was a guy in Perth jumped all the traffic cuing by using the bus lane, then nipped back in the traffic in a yellow hatched box, then tailgated everyone ...... I thought he may have been rushing someone to hospital who was dying, alas went straight past the turning for A&E :angry:

Reactions: Juju Beanz

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Hi R-head,
Can I ask what you searched for on eBay with regards the fuse jumper/piggy back? I'm looking at installing some DRLs when they arrive but the wiring kit I bought still requires a switched live and this looks like the easiest way to achieve this.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
No sorry. Shod work fine. What you need to remember is the combined load can't exceed the circuit you are tapping into. Is there and circuits not used on your car? If you want a permanent feed another idea would be to take a feed direct from the battery (use a larger fuse as close as poss to the battery) then use that 6way jobbies to do the individual circuit thing.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
No probs, only just catching up on threads this morning. I think someone mentioned on another thread that there are no spare ways on the fuse board so will just go with the fuse tap route I think. I won't get the opportunity to fit them for a couple of weeks anyway so may explore the net to confirm that. Cheers for info though

Sent from my iPad using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Panders, there were no fuse slots I could have tapped into, all the holes with missing fuses had no electrical connections fitted underneath; hence having to use the fuse taps

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sorry jobbies in Glasgow means something else, reminds me about a joiner from Glasgow who went to a ladies house she was from Aberdeen. She took him into her kitchen and said can you do a jobbie here?
Thank Mr Connolly for that ;o)

·
Registered
136 Posts
A lot of trucks have these in now because of people cutting them up & slamming their brakes on so the truck crashes into them & yes some people are stupid enough to do that, no win no fee has a lot to answer for

Sent from my HTC Desire S using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
A lot of trucks have these in now because of people cutting them up & slamming their brakes on so the truck crashes into them & yes some people are stupid enough to do that, no win no fee has a lot to answer for

Sent from my HTC Desire S using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app
I take it you have seen the Russian videos on you tube? It's unbelievable what happens. I saw one where I guy was walking up the middle of the road, the oncoming car stops and the guy fakes being knocked over by the now stationary car!!!! I'm super keen in getting cameras fitted to my cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts