UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
About ten days ago we took renewed insurance on our Citroen Picasso and asked how much it would be (all details provided, registration mark etc) and were provided a quote for my wife for £180 for the year fully comprehensive. We were quoted a price of around £50 for my wife to change from the px Citroen to our 4x2 Duster Laureate on the monday we collect the new car which will then go in my name (LV charged me £10 for changing over, brilliant company).

Today we called Swinton to arrange the change over to our 4x2 Dacia for my wife on the monday. They said the price would now be £450! From quoting £50 to change over, it has jumped up to £400. The difference can only be that we have already paid the £180, so I guess they thought we would just accept it. We cancelled the entire policy immediately and thankfully within the 14 day cooling off period.

When my wife complained that she had specifically accepted the original quote - and made it clear during the call that this was the case - they dropped it by a paltry amount and just seemed to be pulling numbers out of the air to get her to accept a change well in excess of £400!!

Make up your own minds whether to get a quote with them and commit to it.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Swinton Insurance is an Insurance Broker, they don't actually provide the insurance. I haven't used a traditional insurance broker since we got the internet.

Did you try asking the insurer themselves?

·
Registered
186 Posts
We went through a comparison website, Swinton came out as the best quote, though I appreciate they are a broker. The insurance itself was by premier, however having provided a quote for insurance for one car, then a quote for changing over to another, to then a few days after my wife took out the cover and paid for it to then hike the price to change from one car to the other it by £400 more than the price given when we took out cover with them is astounding. More so that when my wife argued the point they kept knocking money off as if at some point the wife was going to say "Go on then."

A five minute call to LV (Who I am with) provided a quote of half the price.

I should have read the following before doing the comparison:

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.swinton.co.uk

The two last reviews are strikingly similar to our own experience, so clearly this kind of thing has happened before to others. Avoid.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
A good heads up m8, bad service needs to be pointed out.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hate to say this but I think the Duster was the issue

Insurance companies are at the moment very weary of the excessive waiting times for spare parts.

Its costing them a hell of a lot in car hire fees and in some cases are writing off perfectly good minor damage Dusters.

All of this is starting to reflect in the premiums.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Sorry NSS but i disagree with you a little bit.....the dusters insurance is over 100 pounds less than my old citroen C4....

has over 100,000 miles LESS on the clock

a bigger engine

is brand new

I'm with LV...and stayed with them.....its a bargain !

and if they have been increased.....its more than likely due to the addition of the ESC/ASR and insuring that extra gizmo.

Didn't think you had a Duster ???????? LOL !!!!!!! or have you purchased one sneakily whilst we were all looking the other way !

Most of the "hire cars" you mention have been for "warranty work" so its Dacia that has been footing the bill......not the insurance

companies

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I'm with Privilege. Business use was added for free. I recently called them to say I had a towbar fitted and was intending to tow a caravan. They said there was no need to inform them, and there was no charge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hate to say this but I think the Duster was the issue

Insurance companies are at the moment very weary of the excessive waiting times for spare parts.

Its costing them a hell of a lot in car hire fees and in some cases are writing off perfectly good minor damage Dusters.

All of this is starting to reflect in the premiums.
Think I have to agree. After my crash it took Allianz over 10 weeks to replace my exhaust, and that was with a one from another crashed duster. Car hire provided cost £11600. I am still waiting for a new one to be delivered to replace this one. Dacia customer services are phoning me every Wednesday just to tell me they still cannot provide even an estimated date for a new exhaust to be delivered.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have Swinton and Endsleigh (sp?) just moved house and Swinton did not charge me to change address, the other lot did and they are the pricier insurance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have just swapped insurance from Ford C-max to Duster and my cover was less too. Seems to be a lottery how the quotes are put together.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Swinton stiffed me big style a few years ago.

I'm still angry about it.

A driver pulled out of a side street so close in front of me, that I had no chance of reacting in time, and went into the back of him.

This was on a 40mph road, which is what I was doing. He was maybe doing 10mph at the point of impact.

He admitted at the time it was his fault.

But after conducting an investigation, my insurance company (Swinton) decided it was all my fault as I crashed into the back of the other car.

No mitigating circumstances allowed in such a case apparently.

I had to sell a Subaru Impreza I loved after losing my no claims discount.

I have only just now got back to the level of no claims discount I already had.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Exactly the same service we recieved. They were happy to insure, but once the insurance was taken out, that's where the squirming and worming, profiteering etc kicked in.

I am with LV, excellent service every time and great cost. I wanted to post my experience with Swinton in case others are considering them. Its just my own experience of them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've just taken receipt of the Duster Laureate 4x4 and arranged insurance accordingly. Not surprisingly, insurance quotes (including the admission of bull bars and dripping chrome extras) varied massively. Strangely A-Plan ( a broker with whom I insure the Aston Martin which costs me £650/annum with Aviva [sorry, not bragging]) could only offer £317 for cover for the Duster, a car 1/8th of the Aston's value; others that did not include Swinton were offering between £220 and £280 - Swinton declined to offer me a quotation. Interestingly and most ironically, I chose to insure it with Diamond through my wife (who is one year younger, has many year's driving but no insurance history whatsoever) with me as the named driver and the accepted quote was £175. By the way, this was not the cheapest quote she could get, but on the face of it the best value.

All this goes to prove that there is no logic, rhyme or reason and no apparent correlation between details of insured and insurance cost.

When the bull bars are on and the sun is shining, I'll post some photos.

Tripper 26

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh dear aren't bull bulls illegal?

Sadly it is a proven fact that any collision with a pedestrian will almost certainly result in serious injury or the death of the pedestrian if the vehicle is fitted with bull bars :(

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I've just taken receipt of the Duster Laureate 4x4 and arranged insurance accordingly. Not surprisingly, insurance quotes (including the admission of bull bars and dripping chrome extras) varied massively. Strangely A-Plan ( a broker with whom I insure the Aston Martin which costs me £650/annum with Aviva [sorry, not bragging]) could only offer £317 for cover for the Duster, a car 1/8th of the Aston's value; others that did not include Swinton were offering between £220 and £280 - Swinton declined to offer me a quotation. Interestingly and most ironically, I chose to insure it with Diamond through my wife (who is one year younger, has many year's driving but no insurance history whatsoever) with me as the named driver and the accepted quote was £175. By the way, this was not the cheapest quote she could get, but on the face of it the best value.

All this goes to prove that there is no logic, rhyme or reason and no apparent correlation between details of insured and insurance cost.

When the bull bars are on and the sun is shining, I'll post some photos.

Tripper 26
I'm not sure the way you've insured it is legal (I could be wrong) unless your wife is listed as co owner or will be the main driver? there was a spate of parents insuring cars for their children that way and the insurance companies have been refusing to pay out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Firstly the reference to the bull bars - they are not illegal if they have EC Type Approval certification (which mine do) and have been admitted on the insurance (which mine have). There was a lot of bad press a few years ago when it was suggested that accidents involving cars with bull bars and pedestrians caused greater damage than those without - hence the subsequent manufacturer requirements to test for impact etc. So, you might say, I've fitted 'safe' bull bars as they are designed to partially collapse upon serious impact.

Secondly, the insurance. My wife is the 'primary' insured on the Duster recorded as owned and registered in my name - no problem there. I am recorded as a 'secondary' and additional named insured driver - no problem there either. The mute point is who uses the car the most and I've taken the view that since it is impossible to ascertain the detail of who drove where, when, it is equally impossible to prove that I might, in fact be the primary user, not my wife. This is very common practice and is actually endorsed by many in the insurance industry as an acceptable means of reducing premiums; nonetheless, caution should always be applied as we all know that insurers will adopt an "uninsured" position whenever they can following a claim.

Hope this clarifies,

Tripper 26

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think MOST insurance companies act the same when having to pay out....I wouldn`t insure with Elephant ever again as they decided a 50/50 blame because they insured both parties!

Mid-term policy changes used to be Ok, but like us if the company you are with won`t cover the new car, you get stuffed with a cancellation charge and NO NEGOTIATION over the new provider ( even getting a new quote with the same company won`t be accepted as they HAVE to go with what the underwriters quote apparently - not the compare websites )

All a bit of a mess, but just means you do some legwork to get a quote from elsewhere as a NEW customer and recieve good discounts

We ended up with AXA through Swintons as they came out top for us ( Same as above - owner and main driver declared with multiple drivers, but wouldn`t put it past them to dig around to see if you have invalidated the insurance by changing from you as main driver to "insuring" as maybe not the main driver to get a cheaper quote....don`t forget these buggers can look up all the quotes you have performed and will do anything to avoid paying out!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts