UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for the next mod for Quackers, I quite like the look of DRLs, the Swedes have got something right .... besides ABBA :D

So the choice is round or square, and where to put them? I was looking at the DRLs that are built into the fog lights; too expensive! Was looking at just removing the fogs and replacing with 90mm DRLs, lose the fogs, not that I use them much but why ditch them? So after a little tough it's the extra light route ....... either a round DRL or strip (slim sticky back one)

So the first one, which I think someone has done is this:

drl1.jpg

I think a little too high as they can be bright, perhaps lower down

drl5.jpg

But for me I like the traditional round look, this is what I'm edging toward. There is a panel behind the grill which either a strip DRL or round one can be fitted, if I get a slim LED round DRL it can be attached straight to it .... only needs the bumper simply removing, which is easy and a few small holes drilled to mount the light, and for cable pass throughs (all not really visible unless you are inches away from the bumper). Looking around on eBay I think I can do it for a shade under £20, that's lights, DRL module, and a homemade loom for the interconnection. Here's a guess at what it'll look like:

drl3.jpg

This will be Quacker's Christmas present ..... isn't she lucky; what are you buying/creating for yours?

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Its VERY cramped down there. I bought the Philips DRLs and the hardest part of fitting them was getting the cables from the lights to the battery without them touching anything hot or moving!

Its difficult enough to change the main beam bulbs,

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On looks alone, I'd say second or third option - deffo not the high-up arrangement.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, I'm used to aircraft so there's enough room down there to get a few stowaways .... it's nice having a vehicle with space to work in .... once the bumper is off everything can be tidied up and loomed very neatly. Geraint & Royale .... the 3rd option is the one I think I'll go for :)

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121190069782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Not tried to fit them yet so I can't say for sure if they work on their own, there is a third 'sensor' cable that you attach to the side light live cable supposedly it recognises when you turn them on and switches off the drl. They need to be screwed into place and may involve cutting a bit of the grill out. At £10 a pair I thought it was worth a punt.

Reactions: R-head

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
12 Posts
Must be a man thing

·
Banned
12 Posts
Well I (and my girl friends) have bought many things and never once had the urge to modify anything' but in fairness have now given up trying to modify my better half

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I (and my girl friends) have bought many things and never once had the urge to modify anything' but in fairness have now given up trying to modify my better half
Not even a new item of clothing, then thought ..... 'emmm I may need to lose a little weight to squeeze into this'. You are one in a million :D

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I own very little that I have not tried to 'improve' in some way :)

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
An observation:

Men: if it doesn't suit, then fettle it until it does.

Women: keep the receipt and, if it doesn't suit, exchange it for something else.

:p :D

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I managed to snatch a pair of foglight housings off eBay for £13 ............. result for my experiment.

So off they went in the oven, at a low heat (140 0C) for 20 mins to make the sealant that holds the glass on the front malleable enough to prise the glass off, the result .......

DSCF1656.jpg

The glass front also has a plastic housing as can be seen on the photo. This just gently pulled off, it's fragile and thin. Then clean off all the sealant used to assemble all parts together.

Next thing was to see what things may look like ......

DSCF1659.jpg

This was pair of £7 DRLs off eBay ..... not too sure as I will lose the fog light? So after measuring things up I believe that I gan get a ring of LEDs between the glass and the plastic in the top picture. That way I can retain the fog light and get the DRL. All that I need now is my waterproof connectors, the LED ring, and DRL sensor/relay. I think at my first attempt I can get my set up and running for £35 ... that's due to buying a few extra bits to experiment with. If I was doing it with my own fog light housings, as long as it all works I (you) could get the cost down to no more than £20! Here's a pic of an LED ring .....

12V-5W-12CM-39-LED-5050-SMD-Car-Angel-Ey

And a rough diagram of the different parts .......

breakdown.jpg

Once it's up and running I'll post full construction details for those that are interested

Reactions: WeegieBob

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wullie, I got one from here, it was £5.99

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a little time to progress the 'Do the Maths DRLs' this weekend, the LED ring, which I have decided on, is now mounted in the lamp assembly and working; I have left the other light without it fitted just to view:

Lights.jpg

The cable you see in the unfinished light will not go through that hole in the centre, here's a shot at the rear of the cable's exit from the finished lamp assembly. There is a cap that prises off, hole drilled in it, bit of sealant inside it then popped back on ..... nice and watertight B)

Light Rear.jpg

Here's a close up, the glass shows signs of life, don't we all :)

light.jpg

I think that's all for the moment, before I fit it all together I think I'll wait for it to be a little warmer and drier!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Afraid not, the standard fogs on the Duster (and 100s of other cars) is 90mm ...... nice idea though :)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts