UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interests of protecting the consumers, and seeing multiple posts/topics discussing the potential (and realisation) of rust appearing on brand new, white Dusters, please comment below if you've got the beginnings of a white, rusty Duster. No brand new car should have rust appearing, that is a sign on corrosion, which if it is internal, will not stop!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone has photos of a white, rusty Duster, please could you post them up so we can take a closer look and also so other members know where to check.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
If anyone has photos of a white, rusty Duster, please could you post them up so we can take a closer look and also so other members know where to check.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
thanks for these photos Chrisl300, when I met "Monty" near Musselburgh today, I was able to show him where to check on his white Duster.

Thats why I like this forum, thanks Nick :)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
lovely uk newly dacias owners, as i sad i will answer to my best of knowledge being a romanian so:

the steel used on dacia is zinc plated it will survive the weather in uk, i know this because in romania we have just 2 seasons now (global warming ) to hot in the summer to rainy and cold and snowy in winter so: dont let the paint get-loose from chips created by pebbles mostly in the edge of the wheel arches or any-other edging of your car and u should be ok with no rusty-dusty in ur drive way. i own a 2000/2001 dacia the first model after renault came in 1999 and the single rust prob i had is at the rear edge of the wheel arches. in a funny serious kind of way dacia is a car that if u take care of it it will take care of you better that u ll expect of it.i have on mine scratches on the front wings from hedges were the paint is gone from 2007 (u can see the primer underneath ) and still no rust but i treated em with wax polish etc, they arent gone but there is no rust either and bear in mind mine is a 12 year old 90.000 km dacia.:)))))

original paint

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Unicoder - very very interesting post you made in the 'preorder' thread re your discussion with the dealer on rust and paint thickness. Certainly is good to hear that they are going to look into it properly.

It's in Renault's interests to get this right - so lets see what happens.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
That's excellent chrisl300 thanks, I was going to post asking for pictures with indications of where to check for when I go to collect mine. For reference the white one I saw in the showroom had some rust on the corner of the frame just where the top right red arrowhead is in your picture.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just wish I knew for sure that waht Antavi says about the Romanian Dusters applies to Indian produced ones.

They will never put salt and chemical treatments on the roads in India, so perhaps when the production line was put in there it would have been a cstly uneccesary process to put in a galvanising process. ( if they anticipated only servicing the Indian sub-continenent....and who else apart from us usesRHD vehicles?.

So nobody in Renault/Dacia has actually confirmed there is a galvanising process on Indian cars..we are all assuming equal spec world-wide...but we know that does not apply to various other options on these models.

And if the body parts were galvanised, then how do these photographs fit in with that? Even if the white paint was flawed on the sharpe edges, there would be zinc elecroplated onto the metal underneath it, so there would not be rust so quickly.

I can understand how surface tension associated with a liquid painting process can prevent paint from attaching to capillary wide gaps and edges, but galvanising is not a liquid coating process...molecules of zinc are fused to the metal through being caried there and bonded by an electric current...wherever the is metal the electrons will go and take the zinc with them.

To me this suggests that the affected panels are not galvanised, or you would see greyish metal under any failed paint coats , not rust..

Can anyone find any photographic or documentary evidence that they definitely galvanise in India?

I can't prove they don't but there is a lot riding on the assumption!

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
I don't think they are galvanised.

They are phosphate dipped only, as far as I know.

Update from dealer today after they found two dusters with rust, yes white ones, dacia / Renault don't know if there will be a recall or not, but it's early days. Just got to wait.

Personally I think they will handle it on a case by case basis, if you complain they will fix what you find, touch it up etc !

Biggest problem I foresee is a few yrs down the line or may be sooner, is the hidden seams that may or may not be quietly rusting away.

Smacks of dacia's past if you ask me.

But as yet no metallic owners have reported anything in the rust dept !

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi look back on the posts. I found the job advert for the job in the paint shop for doing the dipping ect. So one can only assume that as they have employed people they do it. Also the Nissan Micra is done on the same line and exported to Europe. One thing I noted in some of the videos on utube, the wings seam to be treated prior to being bolted on and then sprayed to the final colour.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi look back on the posts. I found the job advert for the job in the paint shop for doing the dipping ect. So one can only assume that as they have employed people they do it. Also the Nissan Micra is done on the same line and exported to Europe. One thing I noted in some of the videos on utube, the wings seam to be treated prior to being bolted on and then sprayed to the final colour.
There are loads og threads and thousands of posts now, can you give us a reference to find these posts and you tube clips?

And was the job advert for india?...( how much did they pay?) :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is a videao from 2011 of renault dusters being made...I don't know where.

But you see the process from pressing the steel panels and chassis and welding untreated steel body together....then it gets an undercoat applied by several workers manually spraying with one hand and brushing seams with the other...and then someone else seemingly tring to inject spray into cavities as the car goes past.

Then it moves on to a mechanical application of the top coat of chosen colour.

I don't see any galvanisation or electro coating process anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
i was talking in general about dacias, far as i know the steel is made in chech republic, but of course u have to take it up to the dealers because they have to deal with it, it is ur right as a customer under warranty agreament. a few years ago there was a recall with logan about rust issues and the jack for the spare wheel.

in the pic with the black upper door seal the rust may come from the metal insertion from the seal and leak downwards to the paint that is what happened to me

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
i was talking in general about dacias, far as i know the steel is made in chech republic, but of course u have to take it up to the dealers because they have to deal with it, it is ur right as a customer under warranty agreament. a few years ago there was a recall with logan about rust issues and the jack for the spare wheel.

in the pic with the black upper door seal the rust may come from the metal insertion from the seal and leak downwards to the paint that is what happened to me
The rust on the upper door seal pic, doesn't come from the metal insertion because its also on the back seam that doesn't have a seal on it.

It's probably coming from between the seam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had a quick look at my white Duster and the edges of the front wings inside the bonnet (as shown in previous posts) are showing signs of initial corrosion. The other place I have noticed the start of rust is the upper joint in the sill. You can see it when you open the rear door on the drivers side (RHD) as there is another 90 degree edge here where the paint would seem to be too thin. Had the car three weeks and all fine apart from this issue.

1 - 20 of 6111 Posts