UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the recent VW diesel car emission cheat scandal, Do you drive a diesel and are now worried that the UK government are going to use this as a excuse to hammer diesel vehicle owners with higher taxes on fuel, Higher Road Tax duty (VED). Are you aware they are considering a new tax on sales/purchases of used diesel vehicles.
Do you think it is fair that 65%+ of the price we pay at the pump is tax.
Do you think its fair that VAT is charged on Fuel duty, So we are paying a tax on tax, Would you like Fair Fuel UK to challenge the UK Government in court on our behalf about this unfair double taxation.
Have your say now fill in this short questionnaire to help Fair Fuel UK challenge the UK Government on our behalf
See and take part in the Questionnaire Here...
http://www.fairfueluk.com/dieselsurvey.html

If you have Not heard of FairFuelUK before its headed by Quenton Wilson and is constantly pressurising the Government for a fairer deal for us the motorist....

Check them out and join here free be part of the fight for a fairer deal for motorists....I have been supporting FairFuelUK since it earliest days and have seen how much positive action they have taken lobbying the government and succeeding in saving all us motorists money..
http://www.fairfueluk.com/

·
Registered
398 Posts
The maths used (RAC) on the fairfuels website just doesn't work. (see latest pump prices)

http://www.racfoundation.org/data/UK-daily-fuel-table-with-breakdown

Here in Germany the price of petrol is €1,20 = £0.87 Diesel is €1,03 = £0.74

The percentage of tax charged on both fuels is the same, so if diesel is more expensive than petrol in the UK the only reason must be more tax on diesel. RAC say the tax on diesel is only 69% compared to 70.1% on petrol. Doesn't work for me.

Strange to say the least.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It has nothing to do with the VW farce (did they really believe no one would notice) sadly people for decades where told that diesel engines were clean when in fact they churn out twice the levels of the extremely harmful nitrogen oxide then a petrol engine. These new proposed tax rises are meant to reflect this.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The maths used (RAC) on the fairfuels website just doesn't work. (see latest pump prices)
http://www.racfoundation.org/data/UK-daily-fuel-table-with-breakdown
Here in Germany the price of petrol is €1,20 = £0.87 Diesel is €1,03 = £0.74
The percentage of tax charged on both fuels is the same, so if diesel is more expensive than petrol in the UK the only reason must be more tax on diesel. RAC say the tax on diesel is only 69% compared to 70.1% on petrol. Doesn't work for me.

Strange to say the least.
The differing in percentages is due to the varying other costs on both fuels that make up the total price at the UK pumps, apart from the Fuel Duty which is a set 57.95p for both fuels hence why there is a slight difference in the total tax figures on both fuels.
Taxation on fuel here in the UK is not as straight forward as it should be, VAT (value added tax) @ 20% is also charged on the 57.95p fuel duty, So we are unfairly Taxed on a Tax.

FairFuelUK are also fighting to find out why Diesel is more expensive than petrol here in the UK, When the costs to produce diesel is less than it costs to produce petrol.
This is clearly shown by the price you are currently paying in Germany for both fuels compared to what we are paying here in the UK for both fuels, with not a noticeable difference in tax that we pay but also a noticeable difference in the pump prices of diesel compared to petrol.

Germany price Petrol €1,20 = £0.87 Diesel is €1,03 = £0.74
UK price Petrol €1.52 = £1.099 Diesel is €1.55 = £1.119

The slight difference in the RAC chart on the percentages of taxation on both fuels here in the UK has a perfectly valid reason.. Which is due to the fixed level of fuel duty on both fuels.

However my original post is directed at the issue that we are getting ripped off with Fuel Prices here in the UK compared to other country's, especially with the price of diesel, which is clearly indicated by the difference in prices you pay in Germany for both fuels compared to what we pay in the UK.

This is a 2 pronged issue, The amount of tax we pay on Fuel, and why are the Fuel companies charging so much more for diesel in the UK than they are in other countries.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you up to date on those fuel prices, for a short time there it was cheaper to buy a liter of diesel than a liter of petrol. Now it around 1p a liter dearer.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you up to date on those fuel prices, for a short time there it was cheaper to buy a liter of diesel than a liter of petrol. Now it around 1p a liter dearer.
That's todays prices from our local petrol station, But remember fuel prices do vary in price all over the UK.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
After the recent VW diesel car emission cheat scandal, Do you drive a diesel and are now worried that the UK government are going to use this as a excuse to hammer diesel vehicle owners with higher taxes on fuel, Higher Road Tax duty (VED). Are you aware they are considering a new tax on sales/purchases of used diesel vehicles.
Do you think it is fair that 65%+ of the price we pay at the pump is tax.
Do you think its fair that VAT is charged on Fuel duty, So we are paying a tax on tax, Would you like Fair Fuel UK to challenge the UK Government in court on our behalf about this unfair double taxation.
Have your say now fill in this short questionnaire to help Fair Fuel UK challenge the UK Government on our behalf
See and take part in the Questionnaire Here...
http://www.fairfueluk.com/dieselsurvey.html

If you have Not heard of FairFuelUK before its headed by Quenton Wilson and is constantly pressurising the Government for a fairer deal for us the motorist....

Check them out and join here free be part of the fight for a fairer deal for motorists....I have been supporting FairFuelUK since it earliest days and have seen how much positive action they have taken lobbying the government and succeeding in saving all us motorists money..
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Nessi !

I signed up to 'fairfueluk' a long time ago, glad to see that you have put the links on, should have thought of that myself ! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
It has nothing to do with the VW farce (did they really believe no one would notice) sadly people for decades where told that diesel engines were clean when in fact they churn out twice the levels of the extremely harmful nitrogen oxide then a petrol engine. These new proposed tax rises are meant to reflect this.
It would take 42 million Euro-6 diesel cars to produce the same amount of NOx as a large coal-fired power station. Electricity generation is the biggest source of NOx emissions affecting air quality, followed by cars and commercial vehicles, heating and non-road transport.

So what would happen if we all drove electric cars ? :eek:

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nessi !
I signed up to 'fairfueluk' a long time ago, glad to see that you have put the links on, should have thought of that myself ! ;)
Roger, Its good to see fellow FairFuelUK supporters amongst us... Its a worthwhile effective campaign group to support.... Without them the would be paying a lot more at the pump than we are paying.
I have posted links to them on the forum before, and I will post more in the future... Its certainly a worthwhile campaign that most people would get behind and support.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Roger, Its good to see fellow FairFuelUK supporters amongst us... Its a worthwhile effective campaign group to support.... Without them the would be paying a lot more at the pump than we are paying.
I have posted links to them on the forum before, and I will post more in the future... Its certainly a worthwhile campaign that most people would get behind and support.
Yes, I have seen your links in the past, good on you !! ;)

Come on everybody, sign up !! http://www.fairfueluk.com/ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes older diesels are dirtier than newer diesels, That's why over time vehicle manufacturers have had to meet stricter emissions levels on newer diesel engine vehicles.
It is unfair that motorists are getting burdened with heavier taxes when sadly people for decades where told that diesel engines were clean, and have bought these vehicles in good faith.
You may say it has nothing to do with the VW farce, But when that big red case is opened at the budget and diesel vehicle owners get wellied with higher taxes and possible new taxes, The VW farce will be used as a tool to help them to justify the increases.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Local petrol stations are P-105.9p D-107.9p, see what you mean. Asda 1.2p cheaper.

Joined up...
You joined up! great stuff the more that join up the stronger FairFuelUk becomes, The stronger our fight for fairer fuel prices becomes.

Asda supports the fight for fairer UK fuel prices, So hence why Asda is 1.2p cheaper in your area than the others.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You joined up! great stuff the more that join up the stronger FairFuelUk becomes, The stronger our fight for fairer fuel prices becomes.

Asda supports the fight for fairer UK fuel prices, So hence why Asda is 1.2p cheaper in your area than the others.
If you own a car you would be daft not to, if not for pressure groups petrol would be over 150p a liter. It reached that and more in some parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
"BP has warned of further job cuts as the company further slashed spending plans after a profit slump caused by the oil price collapse.

Profit for the three months to the end of September fell 40% to $1.8bn (£1.2bn), down from $3bn in the same period last year, although the result was better than the $1.2bn analysts had forecast."

Don't forget the poor oil companies while everyone is protesting! They may not be able to put a decent champagne on the table at Shareholder meetings. :rolleyes:

As for persuading this government to do anything - it would sell its own mother to the highest bidder (sorry, make that the lowest bidder if that happens to be a mate in the City)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
1. no...but we have been approaching it for years, so it's not a surprise;
2. yes...my first ever; and
3. no...not really.

Joe
p.s. thanks for the links...

Reactions: Nessi

·
Registered
279 Posts
I get where you are coming from. Within the last 2 months or so there was a period of time that at my local pump it was 105.9p for diesel and 106.9p for petrol. However, over the last 2 weeks it has risen again. My local garage is now charging 113.9p for diesel again and 111.9p for petrol. You then compare that to the prices I saw in Cornwall just 2 days ago, the same day I filled up at the prices above, diesel down there was at 105.9p still. The prices are ridiculous and I have already signed up a while ago.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
I thought ASDA fuel was generally 1% cheaper than other supermarkets because they don't do stupid "points" schemes like Clubcard, Nectar, Match&More etc. that generally give you back 1% in "points" but you end up paying for in the price of the fuel.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts