UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I took the Diesel 4x4 out for a test drive, the nice sales man warned me it had a very low 1st gear. He said it was basialy for towing, off road etc.

He was right, I tried 1st a few times but it was very short & I had no problems pulling away in second.

I wondered what actual owners were doing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
starting in second will mean more clutch wear as you will slip it slightly. You get used to pulling away and changing straight away

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the 4x4 model 1st gear is your low range gear (2nd also has a relatively low ratio).
As the nice salesman Average Joe spoke to said, it is for off-road and towing purposes.
Whe taking off in second gear I personally have never felt any clutch-slip and would always recommend people just to set off in second.

In the 4x2 model there is obviously no low range gear as it is not required so first gear can be used as usual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like the 4x2 has a normal 1st gear, although not being used to a diesel engine I was surprised how short the gear feels.

Probably due to being used to a very revvy petrol engine day to day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I got my 4x2 duster access yesterday. I'm loving it, but I'm finding the gears quite unusual. My last car was 1st gear to start and move off, 2nd gear to 19mph, 3rd gear at 20mph and so on. Pulling away and slow cornering doing my standard 1st or 2nd isn't working, I feel like I've got little power. Where am I going wrong? Any tips please? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I got my 4x2 duster access yesterday. I'm loving it, but I'm finding the gears quite unusual. My last car was 1st gear to start and move off, 2nd gear to 19mph, 3rd gear at 20mph and so on. Pulling away and slow cornering doing my standard 1st or 2nd isn't working, I feel like I've got little power. Where am I going wrong? Any tips please? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
u probably came of from driving petrol cars, u are not doing nothing wrong, u just need to adapt ur driving style to diesel

use a higher gear that usual and ull be fine

also u need to pass the 900miles run in mark so the engine will loose more

untill u pas this mark try not to rev above 2500rpm

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Hi emma, I moved from petrol too....and have found that with the diesel you need to give a wee bit more wellie to get it going...!!!

Not massive revving up....just a gentle increase in power. As mentioned above, you have a 4x2 so should be pulling off in 1st as per the manual

DM

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I thought all Duster Access Models were Petrol engined :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Reactions: eddie b

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, its like there is a flat spot on mine after the first amount of pedal, but if you press down harder it surges away.

I find it suits my style of bimbling around anyway.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Yes my Diesel seems to have a two stage throttle, I think that it's something to do with the "eco" mode

Reactions: Dusterdly & Muttley

·
Registered
230 Posts
there is a wee big of lag on the turbo on the DCI. but there wont be when i get mine remapped :)

http://www.hyperremaps.co.uk/figures_dacia.php

Model

Standard BHP

Upgraded BHP

Standard Torque

Upgraded Torque

Dacia Duster 1.5 DCI 105pk

105​

130​

240​

300​

Reactions: antavi

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
and what affect will this have on Fuel Economy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 4x4 Access and have found i don't need to use 1st gear the duster is quite happy pulling off in 2nd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts