UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been watching this forum for a while and finally joined, 1st post so be gentle!! We need a bigger car for our dogs, St Bernard and Border Collie(with another Saint probable in the near future) we have looked at the Duster in the dealers and the boot space looks big enough for the 2(or 3).With all that weight in the back(the saint weighs 12 stone) would a 4x4 be better than 4x2? Not being mechanically minded is there much difference suspension wise?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Welcome to the forum Macnamara, we have a few members in the dog house they'll be along to help shortly.

;-)

Reactions: Nick

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, been watching this forum for a while and finally joined, 1st post so be gentle!! We need a bigger car for our dogs, St Bernard and Border Collie(with another Saint probable in the near future) we have looked at the Duster in the dealers and the boot space looks big enough for the 2(or 3).With all that weight in the back(the saint weighs 12 stone) would a 4x4 be better than 4x2? Not being mechanically minded is there much difference suspension wise?
Should not matter which you choose ... The 4x2 is just as capable you just need to know if you require the 4x4 for the local terraine.

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The option of 4x4 would be handy especially in the winter but don't know if it justifies the extra outlay, may just go and see the dealer and see what is available earliest and go with that it seems that delivery times vary greatly depending on spec and colour choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They only thing to note though is that with the 4x4 the boot looses a bit of head height due to the spare wheel.... Plenty room for my lab... however She will no doubt be on the passenger seat anyway.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi and welcome,

The only thing I would say is that the 4x4 boot has a flat surface with no lip hence the lack of boot height. But trying to get 2 big dogs in a boot with quite a deep lip may be a challenge. Food for thought. We alos have a big dog so went for the 4x4 as I don't fancy lifting him in particularly as he gets older!

Good Luck with your choice. :wacko:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hope they can jump well as the boot is a bit high for large dogs, fine for my lurcher though. Biggest problem is the shelf though and with your big dogs you'll have to remove it and not cut it in half like I did. My dog jumps in and goes in under the half folded shelf and stays there so it's fine for me. That way I don't need a dog guard either!

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a ramp for the st Bernard,they aren't good at jumping,sleeping and lying down yes so height isn't a problem definitely being needing the dog guard though

Reactions: Bex
1 - 9 of 9 Posts