UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Duster(ers) :) And greetings from Finland.

I have a Dacia Duster 1.5DCI 4WD from 2010, so apparently it is the generation 1 Duster.

About two weeks ago my Duster started with some difficulties, but started anyway. I drove about 2 miles and oil pressure warning light appeared, so I stopped and also the engine stopped itself.

I found a pool of oil underneath the car and lot of oil here and there in the engine compartment.

The car was towed to nearest Dacia service and they suspected that previous service had not properly installed new oil filter (previous service was don 1-2000 miles ago). So the car was towed from there to the place where the previous service was done.

Oil filter was sent to factory for inspection and today they gave their statement saying that there was nothing wrong with the filter, but the oil pressure switch/limiter/whatisitcalled has most probably failed and caused the oil pressure increase until oil filter finally gave out and pretty much all oil came out.

The initial assessment from the Dacia service was that engine and turbo need to be replaced with new ones (of course). The engine starts and runs nicely after new filter and new oil had been thrown in. However, there is a faint ticking noise coming from the engine. Probably at least the bearings of the "connecting rod" (correct word?) have been damaged.

After investigating this a bit I found 2 more cases similar to mine (oil pressure switch/limiter component failure). And these are just the ones someone had written on the Internet about. I do suspect same thing has happened to more Dusters.

The 2 cases I found were fixed on guarantee. However, my Duster has already over 100 000 miles (166 000km) on it and there is no guarantee. However, as fixing my Duster will cost quite a bit of money, I will fight and try to get some compensation from factory or some other party.

My question is, are you aware of similar cases? Did someone's oil came out through the filter or other place? How much was the Duster driven? Did the factory/car shop/importer compensate?

And secondary question is, do you think just changing the bearings would be enough? Or something else instead of changing the whole engine and turbo?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, I'm not aware of the issue you describe and do not have any advice but remember that the engine is a Renault one used in many of their cars, Clio, Megane, Scenic, Captur and Nissan as well. That should help with broadening your search for useful information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I found out that this engine is used in many different cars. However, I doubt that same oil pressure regulator or other related parts, such as oil pump, is used in all cars using this engine.

Anyway, if anyone has heard of any cases of oil bursting out from the oil filter, I would be glad to know about those cases.

Now we counted 4 or 5 similar cases that are known.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today I spoke with the company that imports Dacias and Renaults. They agreed to pay 45% of the fixing costs.

How ever, M-Filter (oil filter maker) commented, that they have had multiple similar cases (Dacia).

The guy at the service shop that was initially blamed for all this, explained that due too long oil change interval, the oil pressure regulator collects crud/dirt which eventually makes it stuck in cold temperatures which then leads to dramatic increase in oil pressure. He recommended that I would start changing oil every 20 000km instead of 30 000km instructed by Dacia.

One guy who had similar case happen to his Duster, told that mechanic had measured oil pressure to be 10 bars, which is a lot and way too much.

Apparently the weather/atmosphere/temperature compilation has something to do with all this. This many cases cannot be a coincidence.

Anyway, the temperature in my case was -9 Celsius and in one other -15 Celsius. In both cases the car was parked previous night outside and then started again in the morning. I have no such details about other cases.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My sympathies jets-fi.

Having a basic grasp of car mechanics and my fair share of common sense this is probably caused

by the temperature (or lack of).

Seems that your oil change intervals could be shortened to aid this problem occurring in the future.

My 2013 model has 12000 m oil change interval.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jet,

I also have a Duster and had the same problem.

The car was 10 months old. Driving home from work on a Sunday evening when the oil pressure light came on and went off again. Having only checked the oil level a few days previous I thought it was strange and was going to check it again the following morning. However, about a mile further on and the light came on permanently and by the time I found a layby to stop the engine was knocking and losing power. I switched off the engine and popped the bonnet. Everything was covered in oil. According to Renault/Dacia I have had a new engine fitted as the last one could not be repaired. It only had around 4500 miles on the clock.

A friend of mine from up North has told me that Dacia/Renault have sent out a notice to all their service departments as a lot of the engines have been fitted with faulty oil pumps. So it is their problem and they know it is.

If that had been the only problem with my car I wouldn't have minded so much, but my Duster has done nearly as many miles sitting on the back of a flat bed truck as it has under its own steam. In March the warranty runs out and I will not be able to afford to have it towed and repaired 3-4 times a year.

It is in the dealers right now, having been taken in on the back of a truck by Dacia assist for the second time in a week. The replacement car from Enterprise should have been taken back 3 days ago but mine is still not repaired and now Renault have failed to authorise an extended hire agreement on the replacement vehicle!

Every week someone asks me what I think of the car as they are thinking of getting one. I have now been responsible for at least 100 people NOT buying a Dacia. Reliability is awful and customer service is non existent. Never again will I consider either a Dacia or a Renault.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Day before yesterday my wife took a drive to a supermarket just over a mile away and well before arriving she says the oil pressure light came on and yards after a horrible knocking noise and as she turned to park up the engine just died,I went over and found oil everywhere.the vehicle has 36000 Miles and was serviced by Renault roughly six months ago.It has been recovered and taken to Renault and I'm awaiting their diagnosis.Surely this shouldn't happen to a vehicle with such low mileage and that has been serviced.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Day before yesterday my wife took a drive to a supermarket just over a mile away and well before arriving she says the oil pressure light came on and yards after a horrible knocking noise and as she turned to park up the engine just died,I went over and found oil everywhere.the vehicle has 36000 Miles and was serviced by Renault roughly six months ago.It has been recovered and taken to Renault and I'm awaiting their diagnosis.Surely this shouldn't happen to a vehicle with such low mileage and that has been serviced.
Sorry to hear this! Will this be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear this! Will this be covered under warranty?
My warranty was only for 3 years but I'm certainly going to fight all the way,it's clearly a fault with manufacturer or human error,we've followed their advice and had the car serviced I beleive in July 2016.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
My warranty was only for 3 years but I'm certainly going to fight all the way,it's clearly a fault with manufacturer or human error,we've followed their advice and had the car serviced I beleive in July 2016.
Sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys,just to update you,coming from the Renault/Nissan workshop,The engine is buggered and needs to be replaced due to no out in the engine and I guess it's seized.The very same gentleman told me that Renault have been contacted about it and they are awaiting the response as we are eagerly.36000 miles,serviced in July 2016 last,engine oil levels checked last week amongst other engine fluids,the car was driven on the day this happened not even a mile before the issue totally out of the blue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi ps does anyone know with certainty what other Renault and Nissans use the 2013 Dacia Duster diesel engine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My warranty ended months ago so I'm anxious to say the least but am now preparing myself if they refuse to accept some sort of responsibility.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi guys,just to update you,coming from the Renault/Nissan workshop,The engine is buggered and needs to be replaced due to no out in the engine and I guess it's seized.The very same gentleman told me that Renault have been contacted about it and they are awaiting the response as we are eagerly.36000 miles,serviced in July 2016 last,engine oil levels checked last week amongst other engine fluids,the car was driven on the day this happened not even a mile before the issue totally out of the blue.

Ouch. Good luck bud. :(

·
Registered
985 Posts
My warranty ended months ago so I'm anxious to say the least but am now preparing myself if they refuse to accept some sort of responsibility.

Renault have "declined" my out of warranty repair or part goodwill for an accessory belt which failed on my Trafic 2 years and 20k miles before it's recommended change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think they firstly have terrible or no after service and that they also think perhaps they are invincible

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
@Dran Depending on what they say, might be worth involving the Dacia Customer Relations to see what they say! This will be a test for their aftercare.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts