UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise which Tow bar to use on a 21 plate duster?
I'd like a detachable one but the ones I've seen seem to require cutting a piece out of the bumper, is this avoidable? I really don't want to cut a chunk out of a new bumper.
Any advice/links would be appreciated (y)

And is it worth considering 13 pin electrics if I don't intend using a caravan (I'm new to towing so not sure if this is a silly question).

·
Registered
222 Posts
On my 2013 4x4 Duster I had a detachable towbar and this had a small cut out at the bottom of the bumper. As regards 13 pin or 7 pin that will be your choice, trailers only need 7. I was towing a small caravan so I needed 13, if it isn't much more expense then if you get 13 you can always consider a caravan in the future. In my experience the detachable towbar was so close to the bumper I just left it on as it could be a bit of a pain putting it on and off. Wind on 8 years and I am just waiting for delivery of another 4x4 Duster, this time I will be having a fixed towbar and 13 pins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jammy just fitted a Brink swan neck bar from PF Jones . Fits well, with no cut out required. Try Dacia/ Renault for the electric kit. If no caravan facilities ie fridge and charging supplies required then 7 pin is adequate.They sell both and were £25+ cheaper than any other supplier- and the genuine Renault parts ! Fitting the bar does NOT require bumper removal or cut outs.They recommend removal of the bumper to fit the dedicated wiring kit but this is not necessary and I did it without . You need to fish the wiring plugs up to the rear lights but it can be done. Power supply wire for the relay box exists behind the passenger side rear boot panel and the fuse is supplied to insert in the fuse box to power it up. Give yourself a couple of hours to fit and wire it up. Ni coding is required. Its all plug and play. The Swan neck bar does not affect the rear parking sensors either so is a good saving over the removable towbar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jammy just fitted a Brink swan neck bar from PF Jones . Fits well, with no cut out required. Try Dacia/ Renault for the electric kit. If no caravan facilities ie fridge and charging supplies required then 7 pin is adequate.They sell both and were £25+ cheaper than any other supplier- and the genuine Renault parts ! Fitting the bar does NOT require bumper removal or cut outs.They recommend removal of the bumper to fit the dedicated wiring kit but this is not necessary and I did it without . You need to fish the wiring plugs up to the rear lights but it can be done. Power supply wire for the relay box exists behind the passenger side rear boot panel and the fuse is supplied to insert in the fuse box to power it up. Give yourself a couple of hours to fit and wire it up. Ni coding is required. Its all plug and play. The Swan neck bar does not affect the rear parking sensors either so is a good saving over the removable towbar.
This is really helpful, thank you. It's a far more comprehensive answer than I've had from the Renault/Dacia garage!
Now I've found someone with experience please can I ask a couple more questions if you have the time?
1. Are instructions included and considering I'm a novice, would you think it manageable to fit the bar and electric's myself?
2. I would prefer a detachable option if possible, are we thinking Brink's detachable option would also be ok/ not need cut outs? I appreciate you might not know this I'm just wondering if it looks the same shape?
3. Do brake assisted trailers require 13pin electrics? Since posting this I've found the specs on my 1L bi fuel and it's towing capacity doesn't look like it could handle a caravan but assisted breaking might give me more options.(https://cdn.group.renault.com/dac/g...Duster-eBrochure.pdf.asset.pdf/6ed888b7e7.pdf)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes instructions included , once you get your head around the pictures its easy enough. Requires the rear rubber exhaust hangers to be removed so the exhaust box hangs down a few inches to allow access to put the bolts in to retain the towbar arms. These are a bit of a struggle if vehicle is new No matter what make of bar they are all much the same as they pick up the manufacturers designated points in the chassis legs. The instructions for my swan neck Brink are also those for the detachable bar. - the bar is the same only the towball retaining part is different. If you go to pf Jones website and search the Brink bar for your car you can then download the instructions and have a look before committing to buy.
Depends on what you want to tow but the 1 litre will be pretty limited so perhaps if only towing a trailer or trailer tent 7 pin electrics are adequate. Figures show an unbraked limit and a braked limit ie trailer or caravan fitted with brakes. Max UK towing weight unbraked is 750kg but Dacia will determine their limit which will be less for the size of vehicle, check but I think it is around 650kg depending on model. There are smaller caravans that are probably OK to tow in which case the more expensive 13 pin kit will be required. This will also require power feeds to be taken probably from the battery to provide 12v to charge caravan battery and supply fridge . Caravans come with a braked axle in almost all cases and use the retardation of the vehicle to apply its brakes to the caravan/ trailer .
As far as wiring kit is concerned , you remove the trim on nearside of boot and the parcel shelf and carpet. Then remove the rear lights , 2 bolts and 2 clips each . You then fish the wiring plugs from underneath through an existing grommet and lead them to the lights . You then unplug the lights connect this wire to the new male plug and put the new female plug into the light unit effectively splicing the wiring in. The power feed red wire exists in the wiring harness at lhs rear up near where the parcel shelf sits. This feeds the towing bypass relay box when you put the new fuse in the marked position in the fuse box. Connect an earth to the designated existing earth point and lead the last plug down to the reversing light. That is all that is really required . Its probably the easiest wiring job I've done as Dacia provide the wire for 12v feed so you don't have the hassle of routing a wire from front to rear. No coding is required of ecu or bcm in our cars so its plug and play. Again if you trawl Renault / Dacia website I'm sure you an download the instructions beforehand. The 7 pin kit was Renault part number 8201700128. The Brink bar was 6476 but the detachable will be a slightly different code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts