UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Dacia Duster owners

We are considering buying a Duster and are almost there.

Can anyone help with two important queries we have please?

Firstly, has anyone who has bought a new Duster recently ie. the ones that are now made in Romania; had any rust problems appearing? We have been led to believe by the dealer....that all the rust problems were 'just' with the white ones and it is all sorted now.

We also don't know whether to pay the extra £2,000 for the 4x4 option: it is quite a difference in price if it's not essential. We are not thinking of going 'off road' except perhaps to have a nice cup of tea looking at a nice view!

So, have the owners of the 4x2 versions had any problems in snow/slush/mud where they wish they had bought the 4x4 version? Also are we right in thinking that the locked 4x4 facility can only be used up to 30 mph?

A speedy answer would be great as we are thinking of making an order this coming weekend!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
welcome

yes u are right with the 4x4 up to 30miles/h

its a proper 4x4 offroad type car not build for speed

that ones are called AWD all wheel drive and there is a huge difference between those 2 systems (ie audi s quatro, subaru awd, bmw, mercedes and so on)

but dispite that it has also auto mode where it goes normally 4x2 and computer engages 4x4 automatically for short periods of time when detects that the car needs it

and if dont do proper offroad and if u cant afford the difference the 4x2 version will do the job just as well even more economical cos its lighter

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
and another thing is if u pass the 30m/h limit in 4x4 lock it disengages automatically to auto mode 4x4 u dont need to worrie about breaking anything its all done electronicaly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Antavi

Thank you for responding to our query.

We would still appreciate hearing from folk who have bought the 4x2 Duster on how it copes with winter conditions.

We now realise we have probably put our query regarding the rust issue in the wrong forum but hope current members will forgive us for not knowing the site.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
not at all

its not the wrong section

u want to buy and have some questions this is a perfect topic

i just gave u my input on what i know for a fact and from experience

in dnt live in uk so again pro or cons regarding ownership taxes stupid goverment stuff i cant suply u with (i can do it for romania same stupid s....it :lol: :lol: :lol: )

i dnt own one but i know the car very well and many here do so give them a bit they will reply

but the car 4x2 will do very well light offroading cos i have a mk1 logan wich does it very well and its lower and 2wd saloon so a duster even in 4x2 its amazing for dirt roads B)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi All Dacia Duster owners

We are considering buying a Duster and are almost there.

Can anyone help with two important queries we have please?

Firstly, has anyone who has bought a new Duster recently ie. the ones that are now made in Romania; had any rust problems appearing? We have been led to believe by the dealer....that all the rust problems were 'just' with the white ones and it is all sorted now.

We also don't know whether to pay the extra £2,000 for the 4x4 option: it is quite a difference in price if it's not essential. We are not thinking of going 'off road' except perhaps to have a nice cup of tea looking at a nice view!

So, have the owners of the 4x2 versions had any problems in snow/slush/mud where they wish they had bought the 4x4 version? Also are we right in thinking that the locked 4x4 facility can only be used up to 30 mph?

A speedy answer would be great as we are thinking of making an order this coming weekend!
Hi I have a 4 x 2 and it copes as well as any other front wheel drive car and better than some, I have driven several 4 x 4 Dusters and unless you really need 4WD I would say that the 4 x 4 is very low geared, 1st is very little use in normal driving so it is effectively a 5 speed and there is a penalty in fuel consumption which you have all year for the few days that 4 x 4 is needed. If you are a reasonably competent driver and don't live in a hilly area I think 4 x 2 is OK, just think you will have more traction than BMW's or Merc's in most conditions!

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have a phase 2 Duster and after 3 months ownership love it in 4x2 form diesel.

Live near the pennines so covered in snow at the moment and our drive is very steep.

Car goes up no bother.

We considered 4x4 but don't want poor mpg.

We decided if 4x2 ok in snow we will stick with 4x2 when we next swap in 3 years time.

Pretty sure footed and we havn't got stuck yet.

Gotta be diesel for the torque and it aint no slouch either.

Checked every week and NO RUST.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Antavi

Thanks for the advice and video.

Thank you also to Brigad00n and tipsyhedgehog for your responses; these were more the kind of experience/advice we were after and were helpful.

We had a test drive last week and my husband - who drove - thouht that the 4x2 was much more impressive than last year when we had a test drive. Going from your answers; it seems that the car he drove last year might have been the 4x4 version (we can't remember now) because he remembers having some issues with the drive quality, especially in first gear, which was mentioned.

Would still appreciate some other responses from relevant parties.

With thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMG_0200.jpg

Hi i have a access 4x4 and i would say a couple of things

the 4x4 has a higher ride hight than the 4x2

the 4x4 has independent rear suspension 4x2 is not

the 4x4 comes with a spare wheel which is in the boot 4x2 it is an option and then you need to buy a cage to underneath

if you are going to tow with the Duster i would go with the 4x4 as it has a better nose load wight of 75kg opposed to 50kg and overall better towing wight

The photo is what i tow with my Duster

Attachments

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I have the 4x2 and have never had a problem on the roads, this my second winter with the car.

As to whether to go for 4x4 or 4x2, I drive a lot of miles, mostly in a 2wd van and have not yet found any place I cannot get to (it got a bit hairy on the Ullapool road the other week but I just slowed down to suit the conditions) so my thoughts on 4x4 is only go for it if you're sure you'll need it/want it and otherwise just keep a good stock of common sense in the boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a facelift diesel 4x2 since december and loving it. You can now order a full size spare wheel fitted to the new car (2WD) for £150, the inflator kit might be OK if you're a few miles from home, but no good when on a long trip. The facelifted model is very smooth to drive, the better half prefers it to the (relatively) expensive german car she drove before. Try the new version, you'll notice the difference.
The tyres fitted to the Duster, although M+S, are not true winter tyres (rated below 4C). If I lived a bit further north now (I used to) I'd invest in a set of cheap steel wheels and winter tyres. That together with a good dollop of common sense should get you through with 2WD.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I should add my 4x2 has ESC, it was an option I chose when buying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts