UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened a couple of days ago in stop start traffic on the M42. Well, much more stop than start as an accident had narrowed the motorway to 1 lane and 3 miles took an hour to cover.It was the hottest day so far this year when I've been driving, at least 25 deg C and possibly hotter amongst the HGVs on a breezeless motorway.

The temperature gauge crept up from its usual 4 bars to maximum, then the red thermometer symbol lit up. There was no point in stopping on the hard shoulder, I could barely get across to it and emergency vehicles were tearing up and down. I was careful to switch off the engine whenever the traffic ceased to move but that wasn't sufficient. So, the heater went on full blast with the fan at the highest setting. It worked, the temperature gauge dropped to normal, Then, once past the obstruction and up to 65mph again, the engine temperature remained stable.

Time to book into the workshop but I really want to get home before doing so, hence it's going to be a few days before I can do that.

There was no loss of coolant. I suspect that the cooling fan failed to kick in, since using the heater and blower replicated what the fan should have done. It's conceivable that the fan has never operated properly. Almost all my driving is in the cooler North of the country and at speeds of 60mph upwards where the fan is not required.

Well, I will keep you all posted as to the reason for this overheating. Meanwhile, down here in Somerset we will do most of our motoring in my friend's Sandero Ambiance 1.2.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was surrounded by HGVs with their engines running which made it impossible to hear any sound from under my car's bonnet. The traffic conditions ruled out getting out of the car and lifting the bonnet to see if the fan was functioning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best thing to do first is check the coolant level. Top up if required. Then start the car up and let it idle. Have the heater fan switched off. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge. On some cars the fan kicks in at near or on the red band. When it gets near the red band open bonnet up. See if you can hear the fan. Do not let it idle near on the red band too long.

The garage may repeat the same test. The result will may save you a trip to the garage.

If you know how to do then .....

1. Check the fuse
2. Find the fan switch on radiator or engine block and shorten the circuit and see if fan comes on.

My old fiat used to overheat. Fitted a switch on the dashboard that switched on the radiator fan manually.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you get a "beep" with the coolant temperature warning light"

The manual (on the Sandero anyway, Duster may be different) says to stop and allow the engine to run at idle speed and it should cool down.

As wazza says, check the fuse and make sure the fan kicks in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read somewhere that whilst waiting in traffic it is always good idea to switch the engine off. Not only saving fuel it stops the engine overheating. In my previous car, Rover 600, whenever I am stuck in slow moving traffic I always switch on the heater blower at full speed (redirect the hot air to side events and out of the windows).

It is shame there is no temperature gauge in the Sandero Ambiance, just a warning light. So all the more reason to do the above sooner rather wait for the warning light to come on.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would be very disappointed if any new car over heated in even the hottest UK summer without having a fault to cause it, the systems should be advanced enough to prevent this even on a bargain motor like the Dacia.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the easies way to test the fan is to just leave your car running at idol and pop out.

if you get out and have a look. once it up to temp you should hear/see the fan step in after about 20 mins or so to keep every thing cool.

keep your inside fans turned off.

check the coolant level, and if the fan does not run the fuze.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got round to checking the fuse today. It's the green 30A one in the box under the bonnet.

The fuse had blown, so it's been replaced. Will just have to see if the fan works or if the fuse blows again.

Will book in at the dealer when I get home, they can do the the diagnostic work.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
It happened a couple of days ago in stop start traffic on the M42. Well, much more stop than start as an accident had narrowed the motorway to 1 lane and 3 miles took an hour to cover.It was the hottest day so far this year when I've been driving, at least 25 deg C and possibly hotter amongst the HGVs on a breezeless motorway.

The temperature gauge crept up from its usual 4 bars to maximum, then the red thermometer symbol lit up. There was no point in stopping on the hard shoulder, I could barely get across to it and emergency vehicles were tearing up and down. I was careful to switch off the engine whenever the traffic ceased to move but that wasn't sufficient. So, the heater went on full blast with the fan at the highest setting. It worked, the temperature gauge dropped to normal, Then, once past the obstruction and up to 65mph again, the engine temperature remained stable.

Time to book into the workshop but I really want to get home before doing so, hence it's going to be a few days before I can do that.

There was no loss of coolant. I suspect that the cooling fan failed to kick in, since using the heater and blower replicated what the fan should have done. It's conceivable that the fan has never operated properly. Almost all my driving is in the cooler North of the country and at speeds of 60mph upwards where the fan is not required.

Well, I will keep you all posted as to the reason for this overheating. Meanwhile, down here in Somerset we will do most of our motoring in my friend's Sandero Ambiance 1.2.
clearly the fan didnt (failed to kick in)

it usualy kicks in from the 5th line of the computer indicator

get it to the dealer service urgent

it either the sensor on the engine or the fan has a problem

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I got round to checking the fuse today. It's the green 30A one in the box under the bonnet.

The fuse had blown, so it's been replaced. Will just have to see if the fan works or if the fuse blows again.

Will book in at the dealer when I get home, they can do the the diagnostic work.
How much bad luck can one person have? :huh:

I'm feeling for you, Chris.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update.

After the fuse was replaced the car has been driven for almost 500 miles, almost exclusively at steady motorway speeds. There has been no overheating. When I got home last night I deliberately ran the engine up to 2-3,000 rpm whilst stationary in order to replicate the overheating conditions. The fan kicked in briefly and almost immediately blew the fuse.

There's clearly a fault with the fan motor or its wiring. No problem, the car is booked in at the dealer in a couple of days.

I just wonder if this problem is more common than is realised. You see, the Duster has an enormous radiator with excellent airflow through it even at fairly low speeds. Most Dusters sold are diesel engine models which are more thermally efficiency so need less cooling anyhow. Even on the petrol engine model the car needs to be run for a long time at idle or very low speeds in high ambient temperatures before the fan kicks in. I suspect this fault has been present from the beginning with my car but it's only recently come to light.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
An update.

After the fuse was replaced the car has been driven for almost 500 miles, almost exclusively at steady motorway speeds. There has been no overheating. When I got home last night I deliberately ran the engine up to 2-3,000 rpm whilst stationary in order to replicate the overheating conditions. The fan kicked in briefly and almost immediately blew the fuse.

There's clearly a fault with the fan motor or its wiring. No problem, the car is booked in at the dealer in a couple of days.

I just wonder if this problem is more common than is realised. You see, the Duster has an enormous radiator with excellent airflow through it even at fairly low speeds. Most Dusters sold are diesel engine models which are more thermally efficiency so need less cooling anyhow. Even on the petrol engine model the car needs to be run for a long time at idle or very low speeds in high ambient temperatures before the fan kicks in. I suspect this fault has been present from the beginning with my car but it's only recently come to light.
in ur case im 99.99% sure its a faulty fan

if when it starts blows the fuse

get the dealer to replace the electric fan under warranty plus a check to the electric system

im confident after this is mended u wont have this problem anymore

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just wonder if this problem is more common than is realised. You see, the Duster has an enormous radiator with excellent airflow through it even at fairly low speeds.
Quite possibly. I had a Mondeo (company car - 144,000 in 3 years) that ran for 1000's of miles with no problem until an overheating incident in stationary traffic during a heavy snow fall. I found the factory had fitted a 20amp fuse for the twin fans instead of a 40amp, and oddly ;) the aircon had a 40amp instead of a 20amp :rolleyes: , so a fault like this could easily go unnoticed for ages.

I would recommend everyone do an idle test to ensure the fan does kick in dissipate the heat before it's too late and you end up stuck in a traffic jam. I did mine at the weekend, it took about 20 minutes on idle before the fan kicked in and the temp gauge never rose above 4 bars.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
My own Duster for the first couple of weeks never went higher than 2 bars, this last week it's gone up to 4 bars regardless of what speed I'm doing. I'm sure it's the hot weather but will know better once it cools down a bit.

Reactions: antavi

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite possibly. I had a Mondeo (company car - 144,000 in 3 years) that ran for 1000's of miles with no problem until an overheating incident in stationary traffic during a heavy snow fall. I found the factory had fitted a 20amp fuse for the twin fans instead of a 40amp, and oddly ;) the aircon had a 40amp instead of a 20amp :rolleyes: , so a fault like this could easily go unnoticed for ages.
A good point.

I wonder if anyone would have the time to check the value of the radiator fan fuse fitted to their vehicle. It's in box behind the battery. There are only 2 small fuses fitted and it's the one nearest to the front of the car. It's rated at 30A. in my Duster.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Duster Access 4 X 2 petrol . Or at least I would have if it wasn't on extended holiday with my dealer at present . But that's another story................

I am due to phone my dealer tomorrow regarding my probs and will raise the issue of the value of the fan fuse with them . Will also get them to confirm it is not blown.

Just info from another source which might be of help to you.

Peter

Reactions: Redforce

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Duster Access 4 X 2 petrol . Or at least I would have if it wasn't on extended holiday with my dealer at present . But that's another story................

I am due to phone my dealer tomorrow regarding my probs and will raise the issue of the value of the fan fuse with them . Will also get them to confirm it is not blown.

Just info from another source which might be of help to you.

Peter
Thank you, Peter.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Duster needs a replacement cooling fan.

However, the twist in the tail will be familiar to readers of this forum. A new fan is not available and nobody knows when it will be available.

The poor man in the service dept. is getting worried about me driving the car with a faulty fan. I'm not too concerned as I've driven almost 500 miles since the original overheating incident without a problem.

Anyway, I will retrieve the car tomorrow (the body shop want to look at the corrosion to see what can be done). If the dealership are so worried about me using the car, maybe they will want me to have a long term loan car (I suspect not).

This poor parts infrastructure could damage the emerging brand of Dacia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts