UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my Duster on order, and I know it doesn't come with a stereo. I'm not bothered by that, as there are some cracking deals on stuff at Halfords, eg, Sony DAB stereos for £150. So I'll probably go down that route. Anyone know what type of speakers will fit? And where they fit??? Will it be front and rear doors? Any chance of tweeters anywhere?

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's what I'm going to do as well, go Halfords, see what's on special offer.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
The brochure says it comes prewired. No idea on how many speakers there are though. I reckon just the two front door ones, seeing as it's the cheapest model.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I'd be interested to find out too. I did enquire but was told it was not available as a spare at that time :/ it looks a nifty bit of kit. I had a play with it the other day in a Sandero and it paired to my iPhone 4 with no problems, hands free worked a treat and the music transfer was quick with the artist/song details displayed on screen.
I was also impressed with the standard speakers in the Sandero. Pleasantly surprised with the sound quality and this is from a guy who has never left the standard kit in any of my previous cars

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Single DIN head unit (from Aldi!) fitted and some Infinity speakers from Ebay (front doors only so far).
For some strange reason one pair of speaker wires in the connector from Germany were crossed over, changing the polarity but I had noticed before wiring the speakers in the doors. Had to cut off the plugs in the door and crimp on a little extra speaker wire and standard connectors. This was tricky because there's not much wire to spare in the doors.
The system works OK, probably not the best system I've ever heard but then it only cost about £130 all in which doesn't get you much these days.

·
Registered
217 Posts
To anyone with an access model at present, We all know it's pre-wired for a stereo but does it come with the steering column control buttons fitted?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
There are no steering column controls.
The Access model comes with 2 single DIN slots in the centre console with trays in them which are easily removed.
It has wiring for a head unit and speakers in all four doors. Speakers of 13cm circular size will fit.
Unless you want to wire the head unit up yourself, adaptors to ISO will also be required and I have only been able to source these from Germany so far, though I was unable to try the dealer.
A Fakra to DIN aerial converter is also required. I'm having problems with radio signal quality and would suggest you buy a Fakra to DIN converter with built-in aerial booster which is the next step in my installation.
Unscrewing the antenna and smearing a little copper grease on the threads seems to have improved the signal a little. I'm experimenting with different angles for the antenna as well but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Access model comes with 2 single DIN slots in the centre console with trays in them which are easily removed.
Hi - I've been known to break interior bits of trim now and then when trying to fit things, so I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to explain a little more about how you removed the trays from the centre console. Thanks.

BTW - collecting 2WD Access Duster for the wife tomorrow morning. Fitting stereo and speakers over the weekend.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Hi - I've been known to break interior bits of trim now and then when trying to fit things, so I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to explain a little more about how you removed the trays from the centre console. Thanks.

BTW - collecting 2WD Access Duster for the wife tomorrow morning. Fitting stereo and speakers over the weekend.
Each plastic tray has 2 tabs just inside on the upper surface. Lever these downwards then you can pull the trays out. They are quite hard to remove but are made of soft plastic so are difficult to break.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just thought I'd add my experiences. As Chris says there are two tabs on the trays. You can lever them down from the inside of the tray, only after I got the tray out did I realise that. Also, because of what Chris said about the amplified DIN to Fakra convertor, I went down that route. It was only £3.99 and the radio reception is spot on.

Thanks again for the tips, Chris.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Just thought I'd add my experiences. As Chris says there are two tabs on the trays. You can lever them down from the inside of the tray, only after I got the tray out did I realise that. Also, because of what Chris said about the amplified DIN to Fakra convertor, I went down that route. It was only £3.99 and the radio reception is spot on.

Thanks again for the tips, Chris.
That aerial booster is cheap, where did you source it from as I've not bought one yet? It's helpful to hear that a booster helps because in certain cases they make matters worse as they simply amplify all the rubbish in the signal!
It's too late for me but others might be interested in your source of head unit connectors/converters and your approach to speaker wiring. Did you obtain connectors to fit the Duster speaker wiring or did you cut off the plugs in the doors and crimp connect new wiring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi - this is the aerial converter I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121068161391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I suspect the ISO converter I used was the same as you. From Germany via ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271076775275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The speakers I bought (3-way 13cm Sony) came with wires with crimped connectors. I cut off the Renault speaker connectors and soldered on 6 inch extensions from the supplied wires (as you said the originals were a bit short). I protected the joints with heat shrink tubing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts