UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about the Diesel particulate filter?

There are several types, and looking at the engine specs, it seems to imply that the DPF used on the Duster is the type that injects extra fuel diesel into the DPF and "after -burns " it to huge temperatures.

I read somewhere that some of the diesel used in this process ends up in the oil sump, (not sure how) thereby thinning it and reducing its viscosity and reducing its protective qualities.

There are also stories about people ( in other cars but with this type of DPF) doing repetitive short journeys, triggering so many regenerations that the diesel levels in the oil sump reach combustion level, causing an effect where the combustion and compression happens underneath the pistons and can't be stopped until the fuel there burns out or the engine self destructs ( because the fuel is not regulated so it goes to maximum revs).

Now. I realise that this might all be myth and old wives horror tales, designed to scare anal-retentive economy-minded motorists... out of revenge.

However it would be nice if someone could describe how the specific type of DPF on the Duster works, and what to watch out for; and how to help it live a long and useful life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope it's not! I had that with an Alfa Romeo MiTo and it was so annoying. When it was going through its regenerations the power plummeted, the engine was really rough, the fuel consumption went through the roof - and it was like that for about 10 miles of driving.

It got so bad that it was doing it at least once on every tankful - and at that stage I was filling up twice a week. Otherwise I loved the car but that caused me to sell it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear! I would have thought that if it was that bad we might have heard something, although they are not fitting them in india because there is not the same incentive for "green " credentials. I'm not sure about the rest of Europe? We could be the guinea pigs!
They would still be legal in this country without them but your emissions would be nearer the £250 per year end of the road tax spectrum. ( option to remove and re-map the engine?)

·
Registered
167 Posts
All diesel engines push some diesel into its oil. Especialla older where the piston rings gets worn. Nothing to worry about the oil can handle it. Diesel itself is an lubricant the injectorpump use. Just service more often or do an oilchange yourself in between services if you feel you need it. The most common reason for diesel runaways is the turbo. A worn turbo or blocked oil returnline can deadly. Be careful of driving bluesmoking diesels.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All diesel engines push some diesel into its oil. Especialla older where the piston rings gets worn. Nothing to worry about the oil can handle it. Diesel itself is an lubricant the injectorpump use. Just service more often or do an oilchange yourself in between services if you feel you need it. The most common reason for diesel runaways is the turbo. A worn turbo or blocked oil returnline can deadly. Be careful of driving bluesmoking diesels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts