UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello :)

Sorry to post another new thread, but I'm still researching the Duster as I'm considering buying one, and this forum seems to be the best place to get information.

What kind of MPG are people actually getting with their Dusters? I'm mainly interested to know the real world MPG on a Motorway Run, driving at 70-80MPH, with the diesel engine?

But any city-figures MPG would be useful too. I'd say 70% of my miles are on the motorway, and 30% in the city.

Any info would be great :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I tested one anything above 60mpg had a real effect on mpg I would say 70-80mpg you would be looking below 40mpg. Just over 60MPH was only just over 40mpg, problem is the Duster is really high geared, it is more suited (gearing wise) for town and A road (sub 60MPH) than motorway driving.

Also bear in mind over 60MPH noise does start to become intrusive.

It's a great car, but I would not really recommend it as a motorway cruiser. Ideally you want a car that does around 2000rpm @ 70mph as a motorway cruiser.

If I did less highspeed miles it would have been my ideal car. :(

But I would say test drive one first and see how you get on, see if you can get a weekend test and do your commute and see if you can live with it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Depends what you are using to measure the mpg. Mine using the computer shows 44 to 47 and seems to like to display 46.2 mpg. I have started filling up to when the pump cuts out (same garage) and noting the millage that works out as 51 to 53 mpg, car display shows 45.7. I reset everything at each fill up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm getting about 42mpg on average. Done 13k miles now. On motorways even with a light right foot and staying at 70 mph I cannot get over 45mpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
We've had our 2 x 4 Duster for 10 months now and its used about 2/3rds urban, 1/3rd rural and returns on average 47mpg.

On a long run when I'm driving I always get 50+ mpg, all in all I've been more than impressed with the returns. :)

WeegieBob.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Mines currently doing a fair mixture of city, dual carriage way and motorway driving at the moment. Coming up for a year old with 16k, 4x4 diesel. reasonably fast motorway trips usually return sub 40mpg. Urban/city driving is just as bad. The only time you start to see it creep above 40 is dual carriage way stuff where you're lucky to hit 70 let alone aim for an average of it. If you really really try it will just about average 48, but that's being so careful it's painful, and more likely a danger to other road users.

I have, what I was told to be, the latest ECU software/map. This made a bit of a difference to the 45 to 65mph economy with the thing in 2wd - saw around a 4 mpg jump, however that was offset by even more hesitant pickup than I had before. The actual mpg in 2wd or auto is so marginally different I tend to leave it in auto these days for most of the time. Currently it's averaging around 38mpg doing a good mixture of driving styles. Incidentally it has dropped off to this level after being around the 40 mark over the summer - it's coincided with the cooler weather and the temperature gauge now once again not hitting the "normal", mid point mark. Although Renault completely rubbished that suggestion that the two were connected.

By contrast, the 1.6 TDCI Fiesta I have (and within 100kg of each other weight wise...) is vastly nippier and is doing around 55mpg on similar journeys with considerably more, err, "fun" in the process.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
42 - 43mpg now done over 24,000 miles so fully run in, gear ratio's are to low for economy on motorways. On the plus side driving @ 70, 70ten or 70twenty doesn't seem to make much odds to the mpg figure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In August I drove from Northumberland down to Lake Como for 2 weeks, loaded with everything from tetleys tea bags to hair straighteners and all the gear a 21 year old son and 18 year old daughter require.
Did a 2800 mile round trip averaging 45mpg.
Very happy!
Especially 5.5 hrs from Dover to Hexham in Northumberland.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 4x4 diesel with 1300 miles on the clock. I get around 42 mpg - calculated based on running over around 430 miles on a full tank then refilling to the top again. My on board computer showed 43 mpg. This is a mixture of 50% motorway at 70 mph and 50% town driving.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Pleased as punch :D

My first fill up was 42 mpg calculated on a phone app that I have. The second came up at 33 mpg, because I suspect when the dealer said they were going to fill it up, in fact they filled it to where the gauge indicated full (big difference).

This tankful I drove carefully but not slowly and when I filled up just 1020 miles were showing on the clock; so a new engine and the phone app reported 45.44 mpg. I was very pleased but when I put the figures into the forum app it was calculating at 49 mpg!

Naturally I thought the forum app was reporting incorrectly so manually did the figures...I got the same result by calculation B)

That means with an unchipped, brand new engine, 4x4 Duster running aggressive tread All Terrain (A/T) tyres, which must sap 3-5 mpg from the figure; I have gotten a decent mpg from a twice daily 18 mile commute on slow A roads (60-40 mph) and a bit of town driving and running around at the weekends probably a 85/15 split in favour of the A roads.

49 mpg :D

I'm very pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
My summary:

Based on two short experiences of a 2WD Duster, you'll be happy with mpg no matter how you drive (I easily achieved upper 40s no matter what I did with them). As to my 17 mths experience with my 4WD Duster: I would advise any prospective 4WD owner to arrange for groceries to be delivered and also to keep checking in your rear-view mirror to see if there is a queue of traffic behind you as you dawdle along at 50 mph to conserve fuel!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts