UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just had the Duster in to Dacia for a check up.

Noticed only when cold going from 1st to 2nd nothing - no oomph- and then within seconds oosh and we're off!

Found out the Qashqai had similar problem.

They have re-programmed the ECU to cure it - something to do with fuelling.

Will see how it goes in the morning when the engine's cold again.

Felt smoother on the road when warm so we shall see?

Thought it was just a Duster thing so am glad we got it checked out.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
My car is two weeks old and I have covered 1000 miles already, What I have noticed is that 1st gear is far too tall and tbh I use 2nd to pull away ( this has been mentioned on the forum before)

Are you using the Eco mode button? this changes the fuel map and does make a difference in the lower rev range. if you are not, then I will take a look at mine and see if I have a simular problem.

I have just covered over 700 miles on motorways in UK using the Eco mode and got 52 + mpg, excellant and the aceleration using Eco at higher speeds was fine too

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Thought the 4x2 had a standard 'box so first gear is as normal as any other car - not a special low first as in the 4x4 - that's what I thought when I test drove one..

Anyway, there does seem to be an issue with some cars and a really nasty flat-spot if you allow the engine speed to drop below 1300 rpm - I've had, and still have various issues with mine (albeit a 4x4) which resulted in a long discussion with the Technical services manager of Renault UK. It's so bad that it appears that the car is actually doing nothing, not responding to throttle inputs until it reaches about 1300 - 1500 at which point it suddenly accelerates - the acceleration then appears to be a lot better than the lack of response previously would have you believe the car was ever capable of!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chr15g - what is the cure for this as the software update to ECU has made no difference. Did Renault Tech Dir say? Now running out of ECO mode to see how it goes. What you describe sounds like our problem but ours is slightly lower down the rev range when it happens.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
That at the moment I don't know. There's on-going discussions at the moment with them because of other issues with the car that we don't need to mention, but mine too has the latest ECU software. There is actually a whole diagnostic route that the garage is supposed to follow and I was told that there is at least a potential 6 possible causes despite there being no actual fault code logged - which the garage doesn't like because its not a simple fix - crucial point is the garage will actually have to do some work to find the problem. Mine hasn't gone in since my conversation.

I'm sure you've been told like me by the garage that its a 'feature' or 'characteristic' of the car. It's not, and the TSM agreed that it shouldn't do.

Mines done 18k miles, and it isn't getting any better.

As for where in the rev range you can get it to occur, somewhere around 1500 is the absolute maximum, and therefore where the engine picks up again. Take mine down to 1000 rpm and it'll feel like it has stopped and just won't respond to the throttle, although sometimes 1300 will do the same - haven't quite figured the pattern yet.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
someone on the forum checked the ECO button with an OBI gizmo and found that the ECO button limits the turbo boost to 5psi with normal boost being 14psi.

Given that turbochargers are exhaust driven and need high exhaust flow to force boosted intake air into the engine then ECO on (electronically limited turbo boost) + low revs (low exhaust flow) = low intake pressure and **** performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts