UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My duster keeps getting air in the fuel so often after standing I need to prime the bulb, car then starts and runs. Upon examination I can see a split at the bottom of the primer bulb where the rubber wraps around the harder connection section so I suspect this might be the root of the problem Does anyone know if the bulb can be replaced alone or does it require the whole fuel line. The line is nylon and seems permanently Attached to the bulb. Also where might I get part(s) on-line.

Also is there an air bleed screw anywhere or does just pumping clear the air?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
Dacia Duster 2018 1.5 diesel 115 addblue and a 2013 Sandero 1.5 dci Ambience
78 Posts
My duster keeps getting air in the fuel so often after standing I need to prime the bulb, car then starts and runs. Upon examination I can see a split at the bottom of the primer bulb where the rubber wraps around the harder connection section so I suspect this might be the root of the problem Does anyone know if the bulb can be replaced alone or does it require the whole fuel line. The line is nylon and seems permanently Attached to the bulb. Also where might I get part(s) on-line.

Also is there an air bleed screw anywhere or does just pumping clear the air?
Thanks
any air in the system will stop the fuel pressure from being correct and often will stop a diesel from starting unless you squeeze the primer bulb.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is an air & diesel bleeder pipe connector on the pump. I'll give u a pic of that in the morning. I even keep a length of plastic tubing to drain over the front onto the ground rather than mess the engine - the alternator is below it! I'm in a different time zone! I apply silicone polish on that bulb. Even rats can have a go at it!

·
Registered
Dacia Duster 2018 1.5 diesel 115 addblue and a 2013 Sandero 1.5 dci Ambience
78 Posts
There is an air & diesel bleeder pipe connector on the pump. I'll give u a pic of that in the morning. I even keep a length of plastic tubing to drain over the front onto the ground rather than mess the engine - the alternator is below it! I'm in a different time zone! I apply silicone polish on that bulb. Even rats can have a go at it!
if the op has a split in the primer bulb its not much good until the primer bulb is replaced or the fuel will keep running back towards the tank again.I wonder if he/she is near a boat chandlers as they sell primer bulbs for boat fuel tanks and they are usually a lot cheaper they also have decent non return valves in them and last a long time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same issue with my Renault Megane and I suspect it is exactly the same part. Mine had a slight split at the bottom where it meets the hard plastic and was difficult to start the next morning due to air getting into the system.

I ordered the part from eBay and it comes with the fuel lines already attached and it soon became clear it is quite a big job to replace. In the end I didn't bother as (on the Megane anyway) you have to route the pipes through the engine bay to connect to the fuel pipe under the car.

What I eventually did was get a bicycle tyre inner tube from Poundland, a tube of superglue and a jubilee clip. I cut a thin strip of rubber from the inner tube, applied the super glue and wrapped it around the end of the bulb where the leak was. then got the jubilee clip, placed it over my piece of glued tyre inner tube and tightened it up.

This cured the leak and two years on is still holding perfectly and not letting any air in. Bit of a bodge, but much, much easier than replacing the pipe.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In continuation, I took the pics today. I have the 110 flavour w/ Continental pump. The old hand pump bulb was replaced along w/ the plastic tubes. Later on, it's only a bulb replacement. In case u r thinking of any improvisation, the OD of the plastic pipe beyond the coupling is 10.5 mm.

The air bleed valve is the yellow ring AN connector seen below the horizontal strip of metal plate. U have to press the buttons on either side & slide it out.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Car Auto part

This is w/ the connector removed & placed on top. My screwdriver is pointed to the pipe & I have connected an 8 mm ID plastic pipe to take the air/ diesel over the front to a bottle on the ground. I keep this hose in the storage area for the jack!
Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Electric blue

This shows the rubber bulb removed from the clips. The coolant hose has been moved to the right.
Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment Engineering Fashion accessory

This is a photo of a Delphi pump I took from a workshop nearby. It doesn't have the arrangement for bleeding. They do it the 'old fashioned way'.
Gas Machine Auto part Engineering Metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts