UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duster 4x2 Ambience:

I've had the car just over a month - about 1,200 miles to date. Since that time i've noticed that there is a slight judder feeling at 47mph in 4th and/ 5th gear and at about 65mph in 6th gear. it's also started doing it at about 35mph. Has anyone had this? It happens sporadically, and once I drive through that speed, the juddering stops, but it seems a bit disconcerting when it's brand new. I'm taking it into dealership tom, but don't want to get sidelined with the, 'that's not a warranty issue' phrase by the service team.

The juddering was so strong one journey there was a strong burning smell coming from the back wheels. (And no, handbreak was not on while driving.)

Any suggestions of what to look for.

Also, has anyone had problems with bottletop of the windscrteen wash not fitting properly? Mine spills out while driving, even though I keep fixing it on securely again.

cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had the same issue. It's only happened a few times, at first i thought it was a wheel out of balance. As it doen't happen on a regular basis I have ruled that option out. My clutch has a slight judder when setting off & the engine is cold. I don't think this is the problem at speed as I would expect engine revs to rise independently of the road speed if the clutch was slipping.

The feeling I got is similar to that of a slight mis-fire on a petrol engine. Could it be the DPF doing a regen?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Corsa recently had a serious mis fire fire which worked out to be 2/4 plugs were dead, you don't get vibration at specific speeds, more like the car is choking, and every mid fire its lurching back, like a hiccups. so i doubt its a misfire issue.

Try looking at mechanical/structural. it could possibly be your wishbone warping causing wheel misalignment.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
My Corsa recently had a serious mis fire fire which worked out to be 2/4 plugs were dead, you don't get vibration at specific speeds, more like the car is choking, and every mid fire its lurching back, like a hiccups. so i doubt its a misfire issue.

Try looking at mechanical/structural. it could possibly be your wishbone warping causing wheel misalignment.
sorry reaper but stop comparing ur corsa here cause its about the diesel engine and ur corsa is/was petrol

from what i understand

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem from new. Eventually complained to Dacia and nearly rejected the car. Lookers in Stockport worked with Dacia to try to fix the problem, even replacing the Speedo. The problem goes away in cooler weather and returns in Summer. Bristol Street motors in Macclesfield updated the engine management software a few months ago and this seemed to cure the problem for a while, but may have been coincidental with cooler weather arriving.

Problem now back again and is very annoying. Car seems to suffer from a hiccupy sort of problem at around 2000 RPM - mostly noticeable in 6th gear under light load (50 to 60 MPH). Though sometimes noticed at other speeds and rev ranges. I have the feeling it is a misfuelling problem, maybe dirt in the fuel line or a problem with fuel injection, fuel pump or engine management system. Definitely linked to ambient temperature as the problem goes away in winter. Someone mentioned that it might be associated with the mass airflow sensor.

Whatever the problem, it is very annoying and a poor reflection on Dacia, which is a pity, as I like the car, apart from the excessive road noise on motorways. surely someone out there can fix this and Dacia must surely be aware of this problem, especially since the Renault 1.5 DCi diesel engine is one of the most used engines in the world.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Duster 4x2 Ambience:

I've had the car just over a month - about 1,200 miles to date. Since that time i've noticed that there is a slight judder feeling at 47mph in 4th and/ 5th gear and at about 65mph in 6th gear. it's also started doing it at about 35mph. Has anyone had this? It happens sporadically, and once I drive through that speed, the juddering stops, but it seems a bit disconcerting when it's brand new. I'm taking it into dealership tom, but don't want to get sidelined with the, 'that's not a warranty issue' phrase by the service team.
The juddering was so strong one journey there was a strong burning smell coming from the back wheels. (And no, handbreak was not on while driving.)

Any suggestions of what to look for.

Also, has anyone had problems with bottletop of the windscrteen wash not fitting properly? Mine spills out while driving, even though I keep fixing it on securely again.

cheers
sounds like dual mass fluwheel issue, the cold engine judder was quite common on the 1.5 dCi nissan note as I remember reading about it on a forum when I was thinking of getting one, I can't remember the outcome though, possibly a new clutch.
I'm not sure if they'd fit a dmf in a 4x4 vehicle which is built to be rugged though, my Citroën c4 was juddery like you said at certain speeds, then stopped after it was over it.
It was a long story of misery, but
I could bypass it by keeping it in gear longer.
If it's the dmf the judder will only get worse, my Citroën ended up banging around eventually.
I'd get it checked out, the dealer should look at it, they'll get paid by dacia either way I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I know "alloy" said it happens at a certain speed.......but,,,, may be worth looking again a bit closer and experimenting,,to see if it actually happens at a certain RPM, rather than the speed.

If so,,, could it be sticky /dirty EGR Valve...... or maybe Throttle Position Sensor ?? ( assuming there is one ).

reason I say this is,,,, I am having a "hiccup" everytime I reach/pass 1400RPM in my Sonata.... irrespective of what speed I`m doing or what gear i`m in..( jeans and T shirt ...lol )... It only "burps/ misses/ judders/ at around 1400 RPM. ( like a flat spot ).

example,,,,when setting off gently, it burps at 1400rpm,,,( if you clog it when setting off,,, its not really noticeable ),,,,,,,

or.... when cruising at approx 50mph, it also burps/misses at 1400rpm,,,,,,,,, never before or after,,,,but only at 1400rpm.

so far,,,after a bit of research,,,, and three opinions,,,, weve narrowed it down to EGR valve or TPS...

sonata going in for EGR valve cleaning next week,,, so I will update afterwards.

John

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How often does it happen? I'm leaning towards DPF regen too. My VW T5 was a bag of spanners at the regen point but excellent everywhere else. Give it a good hard, fast drive once a week for 20 mins and see if there is an improvement. If there is you can blame the Euro emissions requirements!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...a few interesting points for me here:

• I feel a slightly unnerving shudder through the throttle pedal on roundabouts, but it may just be something to do with body roll and weight distribution (and if I was driving on the continent it might not happen);
  • I get a whiff of washer fluid after a significant road junction / cruising speed change e.g. leaving a long stretch of dual carriageway for a minor road, but it may be caused by a change in air pressure/flow, as there is no obvious leak;
  • I have been waiting patiently for just over 3 months / 3k miles for the DPF regen...but I haven't noticed it yet.

...also, purely as an observation, my wife has an old Merc A-Class (the oversized Smart Car one) which regularly felt choked up based on her daily commute: all it needed was a periodic near-thrashing i.e. revving out towards rather than to the red line in each gear).

I've been told that my Duster will need the same from time to time...although I'm reluctant to do so 'cos I'm keeping a close eye on fuel economy!

Joe

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
...a few interesting points for me here:

• I feel a slightly unnerving shudder through the throttle pedal on roundabouts, but it may just be something to do with body roll and weight distribution (and if I was driving on the continent it might not happen);
  • I get a whiff of washer fluid after a significant road junction / cruising speed change e.g. leaving a long stretch of dual carriageway for a minor road, but it may be caused by a change in air pressure/flow, as there is no obvious leak;
  • I have been waiting patiently for just over 3 months / 3k miles for the DPF regen...but I haven't noticed it yet.
...also, purely as an observation, my wife has an old Merc A-Class (the oversized Smart Car one) which regularly felt choked up based on her daily commute: all it needed was a periodic near-thrashing i.e. revving out towards rather than to the red line in each gear).

I've been told that my Duster will need the same from time to time...although I'm reluctant to do so 'cos I'm keeping a close eye on fuel economy!

Joe
I get the washer fluid odour too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts