UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone who has taken delivery of a Duster get a locking petrol cap on the car?

It was in the specifications when i ordered mine, but on seeing my vehicle at the dealer pre-delivery, it is not fitted. I realise they sometimes change specification without warning, but I'm interested to find if I'm the odd one out!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine is a Diesel too and it also has the locking cap as pictured above.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will have to check with one of my mot testing customers but I am sure if the outer petrol flap is locking central or key you don't need a locking cap. everything else requires a locking cap to be fitted to pass an mot.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
woah......thats pricey...! But peace of mind knowing the fuel you put in won't be nicked or siphoned off, and over the years that adds up to £1000's, then it seems good money well spent to me :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Found this for you after doing a search on the Forum. ;)

Posted by scottie55 on 27 March 2013 - 05:07 PM in Dacia Duster Forum

I want to get a locking fuel cap for my Duster 4x2 Access (petrol).
Any suggestions on where I can get one and am I looking for vented or non vented?

I bought mine from http://www.petrolcaps.com for £17.99. Seems to be a perfect fit

Reactions: Troute

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
That sounds more like it Tozci :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have to buy the petrol cap for the duster £58.00
Why? Dacia should be putting this right as according to http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/fuel-system/ no locking cap = MOT failure.

Common faults

• Fuel leaks. Any fuel leak will result in an MOT test failure. Not only does a fuel leak present a fire risk, but it can also cause a hazard for other road users if fuel is spilled onto the road surface.
  • Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.
  • Fuel tank condition. If the fuel tank is in a bad condition this can often result in an MOT failure. For example advanced corrosion or serious road damage may cause the tank to be unsafe.
  • Fuel pipe condition. Corroded or damaged fuel pipes can be the cause of a failed MOT test. Advanced corrosion can lead to fuel leaks.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
There's no requirement to have a lockable fuel filler cap to pass the MOT. The cap simply needs to be secure and form a good seal.

I cannot find a VOSA reference for you but have put 2 Fiat Panda 4x4s through MOTs without locking fuel caps, the most recently was in October last year. No problems encountered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's no requirement to have a lockable fuel filler cap to pass the MOT. The cap simply needs to be secure and form a good seal.

I cannot find a VOSA reference for you but have put 2 Fiat Panda 4x4s through MOTs without locking fuel caps, the most recently was in October last year. No problems encountered.
Good to know - just read through the VOSA ref which agrees with your view. Still a bit of an odd omission not to fit a lockable cap. Even my old £5400 agila had one... and a stereo !!

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf

See page 3 of this document. I think that the requirement that the key to the fuel filler cap is available might be interpreted by some as a need for a lockable filler cap. It isn't, it is there to ensure the MOT tester can examine the filler cap properly if it is lockable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why? Dacia should be putting this right as according to http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/fuel-system/ no locking cap = MOT failure.

Common faults

• Fuel leaks. Any fuel leak will result in an MOT test failure. Not only does a fuel leak present a fire risk, but it can also cause a hazard for other road users if fuel is spilled onto the road surface.
  • Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.
  • Fuel tank condition. If the fuel tank is in a bad condition this can often result in an MOT failure. For example advanced corrosion or serious road damage may cause the tank to be unsafe.
  • Fuel pipe condition. Corroded or damaged fuel pipes can be the cause of a failed MOT test. Advanced corrosion can lead to fuel leaks.
I spotted exactly this page on the web. Discussed it at some length with the engineer who does the MOTs at my dealers. He assures me that he would pass a Duster Access with the non locking petrol cap. He says the regs , above , mean that the cap must have a positive click tightening action which pulls it into the filler tube. He is adamant that it does not mean that the cap must have a key lock.

This clashes with Dacia CS who told me that the non key locking cap on my Access Duster was incorrect and that I should contact my dealer ! I tend to believe the " dealer man " who does the MOTs himself.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts

Common faults

by locking fule cap they mean a cap on the fuel tank that locks shut to fuel or fumes do not come out.

the locking by a key is optional.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts