UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time since I have been on here but wanted to ask a question. Please, I am not mechanical or engineering minded at all so forgive my ignorance.
I have a Duster Laureate 4x4 diesel 2013 model, last week it went off for its paintwork recall. I was provided with a Duster Laureate diesel 2x4 2014 model with the cosmetic changes to the instrument panel and media nav been the only differences I can see. Bearing in mind other than the cosmetics and the 2wd it is exactly the same model. Yet it drives like a totally different car? Firstly I can set off in first gear, in mine I have to set off in 2nd. Acceleration is tremendous, mine just does not have the poke like this model does. Handling is more responsive and firmer as well. Please can someone explain to me how this can be? Also consumption in my car, from full I can get over 50 MPG and it gradually declines as the fuel level drops. In the courtesy car from full the MPG starts at around 44mpg and as the fuel level falls the MPG goes up to just over 50mpg!?
I just do not understand how the same spec car can have such a radically different performance. I would be interested in peoples ideas.
Thanks,
Data.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hi DatzaDusta,

Although the 4x2 and 4x4 are visually the same, they are in fact quite different under the skin. Even when running in "2wd" mode, the extra weight and complexity of the 4x4 running gear affect performance and handling. There are alterations to the suspension too on the 4x4 to allow for off-road driving - these won't be necessary in the 4x2 variant. The handling characteristics of the two will be subtly different as a result.

If you look at the Duster brochure, you'll notice the 4x4s all come in one VED band higher than the equivalent 4x2, due to slightly higher CO2 emissions - 165 / 185 gkm-1 for the 4x2 and 4x4 petrol respectively, and 130 / 135 gkm-1 for the dCi. This reflects the unladen weights - 1160 / 1250 kg for the petrol; 1205 / 1294 kg for the diesels - and is a common observation in any range offering both 4x2 and 4x4 variants.

As regards the variances in fuel consumption, it is to be expected that individual cars will show small variations from quoted MPG figjures, in any range; however there is a thread somewhere discussing the seemingly wide separation between the best and worst MPG capabilities of members' Dusters in day-to-day use.

Intuitively, I would expect your 4x4 to be slightly thirstier than the 4x2, for the reasons mentioned above; as to why you're observing the opposite is harder to explain.

Are these figures lifted straight from the dash displays of the two cars, or have you done an empirical comparison?

Hope some of this helps :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No disrespect to the Royale mester but me thinks he's reading too much into it.

Your Duster was made in India and the loan car was European buit- simple as.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Hi, long time since I have been on here but wanted to ask a question. Please, I am not mechanical or engineering minded at all so forgive my ignorance.
I have a Duster Laureate 4x4 diesel 2013 model, last week it went off for its paintwork recall. I was provided with a Duster Laureate diesel 2x4 2014 model with the cosmetic changes to the instrument panel and media nav been the only differences I can see. Bearing in mind other than the cosmetics and the 2wd it is exactly the same model. Yet it drives like a totally different car? Firstly I can set off in first gear, in mine I have to set off in 2nd. Acceleration is tremendous, mine just does not have the poke like this model does. Handling is more responsive and firmer as well. Please can someone explain to me how this can be? Also consumption in my car, from full I can get over 50 MPG and it gradually declines as the fuel level drops. In the courtesy car from full the MPG starts at around 44mpg and as the fuel level falls the MPG goes up to just over 50mpg!?
I just do not understand how the same spec car can have such a radically different performance. I would be interested in peoples ideas.
Thanks,
Data.
4x4 vs 4x2 gear ratios are different, 4x4 has a deliberatly low first gear ratio for off road use, 4x2 should always pull away using first gear. This means the other ratio's are closer together which makes it easier to keep a 4x2 in the power band.

Power wise, my 4x2 seemed to pull away in a similar fashion to the 4x2 loan car so maybe a modified power curve in the 4x4 version. it must be different as the 4x4 has +2 BHP against the 4x2.

Suspension 4x4 independant all round, 4x2 has a fixed beam rear suspension and less weight so will feel firmer.

The mpg scenario makes no sense on your car, tank full of fuel adds 50kg of weight to the car so average mpg should increase very slightly as the tank empties but nowhere near to the 6 - 7 mpg the loan car is suggesting. Dusters have the aerodynamics of a brick so will not benefit much on the weight reduction.

·
Registered
985 Posts
A 4x4 Duster will accelerate very differently to a 4x2, the reason being the gearing. This also affects fuel consumption. I would rate my car performance as good although my mpg suffers as a direct result of my driving style.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
As a previous owner of a 2013 4x4 dci and now a phase 2 4x4 dci, I'm going to say that the cars were like chalk and cheese. The old one would reportedly do around 37mpg, and the new one is around 43. Did a quick tot-up on the figures the other day and it is actually doing something quite close to that. The power delivery is massively different too.

If you listen carefully you can hear what I can only assume is the VGT working on the turbo, which there was no way you could on the old car - it sounds like on overrun the turbo is beginning to spool up, or at least maintaining pressure, as the profile of the turbine changes. The old car just simply didn't sound the same, or was anywhere near as responsive.

I've also had an Indian built 14 plate 4x2 as a hire car which aside of the gearing, did drive much more closely to the current phase 2 4x4 that I have in terms of power delivery and engine sound.

Both 4x4s felt like more of a wallowy lump than the 4x2 did, however there's something different at the front end on the phase 2 which is far more positive and has a lot less initial roll at turn in; maybe slightly firmer shocks?? You also have to bare in mind that not only is the 4x4 dragging around all the extra running gear i.e. centre and rear diffs, but unless you've added it to the 4x2, a spare wheel.

I suspect that going by conversations that I had had at the time when I was sorting out the rejection there are issues around some cars that meant that they were down on power or had inconsistent acceleration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 4x2 cars are about 90kg lighter than the 4x4s, of which about 30kg is over the front axle!

It's like carrying around a 14 stone passenger all of the time in the 4x4!

The 4x2 does have longer gearing, which will offset some of the difference though.

As the cars rust, the resulting speed holes will not only make the cars lighter, but faster however! :lol:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have a 2013 Ambience 4x2 and was given a Laureate 4x2 when mine went in for the paintwork treatment. Given that the two engines are supposedly the same (?) the newer Laureate was more lively than mine - very impressive in fact.

Btw - I don't see how the India v Romania argument that NSS puts forward stands up in this respect. Surely the plants merely assemble what are basically the same components?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Btw - I don't see how the India v Romania argument that NSS puts forward stands up in this respect. Surely the plants merely assemble what are basically the same components?
Hi,

Ours is an Indian built car and the performance is quite peppy!.. The throttle travel is quite long and once past the initial travel, the car picks up quite well!

The road test reports I read before buying were mainly based on the 4x4 or petrol model and therefore the performance was said to be only adequate or poor.

I think that the 4x2 diesel performance is quite adequate for the type of car...We also have a Mitsubishi GTO if we want to go faster!

You do get differences between cars due to production tolerances...sometimes a particular car just feels faster!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting reading everyone, can't say I understood it all but shed some light on the issue. I do get the differences between the 4x4 and 4x2 and accept that but it does baffle me with the consumption issues. I have taken the MPG at face value, not done any calculations though. What I do know is that I ain't keen to hand this car back as I am enjoying driving it. I am also a convert to white, mine is Caspian blue, do actually like the white - never thought I would say that! Also took me three days to realise that the shelf thing was no longer there, because I hadn't banged my head on it all the time. Strange the things you don't miss.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
the engines are completely different.....

not just the same one with a different gear ratio !

country of manufacture of the "body" of the car is totally irrelevant in this instance...

the engines in Dacias are ALL made by Renault

Its like comparing apples and oranges ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

Surely the engines are stock dci engines from Renault used in various Renault Nissan derivatives?...No difference there!

The reason for the HP difference is due to the exhaust routing being different on the 4x4 and 4x2!

Performance and handling is purely due to weight and gearing differences!....4x4 =SLOW!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
The engines are exactly the same. The power difference is down to the exhaust and engine bay routing according to the guy I spoke to at Renault previously.

However, as I said before, there are 'issues' for some cars which result in different power profiles and economy. Never got to the bottom of it as the car was replaced.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have upgraded from an Indian 4x2 phase one Duster 2013 laureate to a 2015 4x4 phase 2 Laureate made in Rumania. The 4x2 is a far better Highway car, faster and easier to throw around corners better mpg etc. The 4x4 is a more sedate driving experience, quieter and smoother, I'd say more executive feel. Yes you do have to start off in second as 1st is good for about 2mph or getting up vertical cliffs ????????

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Driven to Melksham from Wolverhampton today (little bit off topic!) and the Duster has performand like a dream! Quiet , comfortable , just a general easy drive. Happy days :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts