UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been considering a Duster 4x4, having seen them in the real world in all sorts of scenarios, and having a soft spot for the Dacia marque going back many years.

I'm not too concerned about the supposed rough edges of the Duster - as I currently drive a Land Rover 110, and I doubt the Duster's road noise is worse than in the "Deafender" :)

I've not had the chance to drive one, nor sit in one - not had the time. Hopefully I'll be able to get around to a local dealer.

• I have previously sat in a friend's 2WD Qashqai, and it was a tight squeeze with two adults in the back and a baby seat. How does the Duster compare in that regard? Is the interior basically as cramped as the Qashqai?

• Also - although we live in the UK, we do a lot of driving on the continent. Is it possible to order a LHD here in the UK?

• The Nissan 4WD system that it uses - is it a Haldex type, like on the Freelander, or mechanical/locking?

• How is the cargo space in real life? It is hard to gauge by pictures

Thanks!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
There's loads of space in the Duster, you really have to go see it for yourself to appreciate just how much. As for test driving, make sure you test a 4x4 not a 4x2 as they drive very differently.

It is possible to buy a left hand drive one though not direct from the UK, I know someone imported a lhd but cannot find any of the threads regarding it now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We also drive quite a lot on the continent and don't have a problem with our 4x2 being RHD - dual carriageways are a cinch and two-way roads are OK if you plan your overtaking. Really consider if you need a 4x4, gearing is very different. If you register a LHD in the UK you'll need to change the lights (headlights, reversing, rear fog) and check the speedo has mph calibrations. If you still want an import I found this link quite quickly:
http://www.prestige-car-sales.com/index.php/tax-free-lhd-dacia/lhd-dacia-duster.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the answers.

Re. the RHD/LHD thing, just a preference (affectation ha ha) on my part, I got on just fine with my RHD Defender on the continent, just personally don't like driving RHD vehicles :). My wife's car is LHD but she gets on fine here.

I'm looking forward to a test drive, something to sort in th next few weeks (very busy).

We have the Defender for big overland trips, but to be honest it is not ideal. It is noisy, very tall, handles very poorly and uncomfortable for passengers. Plus... keeping rust at bay is a full-time job. (I knew a that when I bough it though)

I really like the simplicity of it - which is what I like about Dacias, old and new. The Duster ticks a lot of boxes for us, just need to see how we all fit inside (two kiddies, two and sometimes three adults), plus all our "stuff".

Another plus is the price of the accessories, relative bargains compared to the extortionate prices for Land Rover bolt-ins!

I've been reading about rust issues with Dusters, however they don't appear to be as serious as those that plague Defenders. I wonder how effective Waxoyl would be at preserving a Dacia?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Use mine a lot abroad . 4 x 2 access , petrol . The reason I went for a petrol is that it also takes E85 fuel , at present with the Euro to pound in our favour I am buying it at the equivalent to 45p a litre . You get less miles per gallon but it is still a significant saving . It also burns better in the engine so it becomes a really smooth drive . I know some people really rate the luggage space but to be honest it is not as practicable as our Picasso . Does take a 2.1 m roof box which is a way forward especially as eurotunnel does not charge for it .

When it comes to rust on the Indian model , do not touch any off them . I waxolyed the whole thing when i bough it . It was up on the 'blocks ' for 2 weeks , everything was high pressure treated , I even sprayed it over the chassis numbers in the engine bay and the rust still came through , wondering which guarantee i should claim on , waxoly's or Dacia's as both have failed .

If you really want to buy LHD you are in luck with the Euro to pound , depending on which country you buy in , some include all the extras such as radio spare wheel etc but you have to really check thoroughly .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I'm a landrover fan too. I've owned 2 discoveries , a 1985 90 diesel, a 1976 series three and a freelander td4. I bought my laureate 4x4 last November and I can honestly say it's one of the best cars I've owned. In the snow during winter it was unstoppable. I towed several cars out of snow drifts. We live in saddleworth which is quite rural and is pretty bad during winter. It will do many things just as well as a bigger 4x4 but is capable of averaging 40 mpg in my experience of 50/50 motorway and town driving. What 'true' offroader can do that? I was lucky to get 28mpg from my discovery tdi. My Indian built duster has zero rust after 8 months of ownership. Is is silver, whether this makes any difference i don't know but I've read stories of white cars being affected by rust.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ps. I bought some michelin latitude cross tyres. Amazing tyres in mud and snow and very quiet on road. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My Indian built duster has zero rust after 8 months of ownership. Is is silver, whether this makes any difference i don't know but I've read stories of white cars being affected by rust.
A couple of points , firstly are you sure you have an Indian Duster , unless you bought it second hand , all Indian Dusters were meant to have been withdrawn 12 months ago but we are aware that some were given the lack of paint repair , pre registered and put back on the market , from what we can gather Trading standards are investigating this practice , it is not illegal , but they are very unhappy over it . Unfortunately some people have bought repaired cars . The second point is that they are not stories but absolute fact , all models and colours have been affected .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought it pre registered from renault Liverpool in November. It was first registered in may 2014 but I am the first owner. There is some paperwork in the glovebox from the factory which has a date of Dec 2013 which I assume could be a manufacturing date?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought it pre registered from renault Liverpool in November. It was first registered in may 2014 but I am the first owner. There is some paperwork in the glovebox from the factory which has a date of Dec 2013 which I assume could be a manufacturing date?
If you look at the rear window glass it says made in India on ours!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is like a clothing label under the seat. It is on mine and others have also said so on here.
Agree with Chrisl300 , according to the people who know on this forum , the drivers seat is the last thing that goes on the car and has a date on a clothing label underneath the seat you need to ferret a bit but it is there .

Scottb , if what you say is correct and i do not want to take away your Duster experience but i suspect you may have one of the pulled ones which were repaired . Several garages appeared to have bought a load cheap from Renault and moved them on . Cosmicdolphin went through the repaint pre reg scenario I think his was Swan garage , look at the rusty thread about page 255 , it will give you an idea of what has been going on . After reading it you will understand why Trading Standards are now involved

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the information dshart. I'm not sure what to think now you've mentioned that. Maybe you are right. The car looks ok to me. I've checked around the roof seams and inside the engine bay. I've not looked underneath. Maybe I should give it a more thorough investigation on some ramps. I assumed that everything was ok, i can't see any signs of repainting or repair work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts