·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Name: Polished alloy bumper protector

Bought From: Trade 4x4 Accessories

Paid: £29.95

Rating: 5

I made a clear vinyl rear bumper protector for the Duster when I first got it and it was fine but as you Silver Duster owners know, we do like shiny things and I picked up an alloy one on ebay from Trade 4x4 Accessories.

It was only £29.95 but with a postage price tag of a whopping £7.99. That being said I fully understood the P&P price tag when it arrived as it was very well packaged and sent very quickly so I was ok with that as it arrived in perfect condition. These could easily get dented or bent in the post if they are not packed well enough.

One of the issues when using adhesive strips to stick things to your car is making sure it sticks. Preparation is the key, clean the surface from any dirt, oil, wax, polish and if possible do it when its a bit warmer.

I was impressed to see that as well as the adhesive pads already applied to the protector it also came with a P100 adhesive primer pad which pretty much guarantees that it will stick to whatever you are going to stick it too. You will need gloves though as the primer could damage your fingers.

Give it a good clean, I use a vinyl sticker application fluid which is just water and surgical spirit and ensures that you get a spotless surface

Cleaning.jpg

You will need gloves to use the primer pad. Use the pad sparingly and only apply where the stickers need to stick.

kit needed.jpg

I used a hair dryer to heat up the protector before fitting as again it just makes sure it bonds. I also offered up the protector and marked with masking tape to ensure I got the right true and square first time round.

fit.jpg

I think it looks great and a great quality item for the price, you will see loads of these for sale at twice this price and they will not be as good. If these are too thin they could dent easily but I don't think this one will at all.

finish.jpg

Highly recommended 5 stars

Attachments

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
That's excellent Furby same one that I have(great minds think alike!!) a must when you have big dogs jumping in and out

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's excellent Furby same one that I have(great minds think alike!!) a must when you have big dogs jumping in and out
I was surprised by the quality as some are being sold for over £70. This one is excellent quality for the money. As we always do the maths with our cars its the perfect price for the perfect car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks good! We got ours from our main dealer, fitted, by means of compensation (which we specifically asked for) for having been messed around with our poor service over our dodgy kenwood media system

They do look nice and will hopefully help the white paint from bring marked where the dogs get out :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good! We got ours from our main dealer, fitted, by means of compensation (which we specifically asked for) for having been messed around with our poor service over our dodgy kenwood media system

They do look nice and will hopefully help the white paint from bring marked where the dogs get out :)
I leave a big towel in the boot to flip over the edge of the boot lid to protect the paintwork and will carry on doing that cos I'm fussy like that lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks Duster4x4Driver for all the info. I have just ordered one as a Christmas present to me from my Sis-in-Law!! My wife said I could!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This particular one is polished alloy and goes really well with the Chrome trim on the boot door. There is a German company that do a Matt Alloy one that is quite nice but is twice the money though.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Everything looks good on a silver Duster DS :)
Especially dark blue paint :p

I wouldn't mind fitting some bumper protection on Haggis but not the chrome look, it would have to be black for my car. Not too keen on the carbon fibre either.

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Especially dark blue paint :p

I wouldn't mind fitting some bumper protection on Haggis but not the chrome look, it would have to be black for my car. Not too keen on the carbon fibre either.
Do they still do the dark blue(when the sun shines) paint with the white spots Troute? I quite liked that one ;)

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I'm kind of regretting getting it fixed now, it was uneek :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fitted mine between Christmas and New Year. I noticed yesterday that it is lifting away from the bumper slightly along the front edge, about 20 or 30mm. Does anyone have any suggestions for an adhesive to use to hold it down?

Sent from my Motorola XOOM using Dacia forum app.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Conact the supplier for the bumper protector and ask if they have any strips they can send you. The only problem is that it will be best to get the whole thing off, clean and re apply.

Thankfully my protector is still solid as a rock. Hope you get it sorted

Sent from my GT-I9195 using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks Troute, that first link may do the job. Checked the second link for weatherproof under W and vehicle related stuff but could not find anything. Was there something specific?

Sent from my Motorola XOOM using Dacia forum app.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
No but I think the tape itself is different, all weather stuff tends to be more jelly like in appearance and thicker. I wasn't sure what sort of tape was on your protector.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts