UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Intro first - I'm a newbie on here, having bought a 2014 Duster on a 63 plate last Sunday. Thanks for having me along!
I don't have the car yet - it's being delivered on Friday. When I went to see it I noticed that there was no spare wheel, just an inflation pack. Never been without a spare wheel in a car before and can see problems in the event of a damaged tyre - I guess you'd just have to wait for the RAC to arrive . . . ?
I couldn't see if the spare wheel well was deep enough to take a full-size spare, or just a get-you-home spare so would be grateful if someone could please advise me on that.
Since the Duster has more ground clearance than I'm used to, I doubt that any 'normal' jack would reach the bodywork to change a wheel, so what do you all do about that?
Finally, is there a workshop manual available for the Duster - if not is there an alternative? Thinking of a Renault manual perhaps - but which model (s) is the Duster based on?
TIA for any advice :D

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I assume yours is a 4x4 as the 4x2 has the spare under the rear floor, if you have not, use the search facility at the top to find the info as it has come up a number of times, yes the scissor jack is a "standard" unit but it has an extended top to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume yours is a 4x4 as the 4x2 has the spare under the rear floor, if you have not, use the search facility at the top to find the info as it has come up a number of times, yes the scissor jack is a "standard" unit but it has an extended top to it.
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated!
Yes, it's a 4WD - I didn't know the subject had been discussed previously but will check it out with 'Search.'
Re the jack, I have a spare 2-ton trolley jack which I could probably make a permanent extension for to keep in the cavernous boot; I'm not crazy about scissor jacks.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have the scissor jack in the car, but agree prefer a trolley jack, I have a hard rubber block in the jack's cup to protect the bodywork, if I get a screw / nail puncture and I can see it I usually put a Dynaplug insert in it until I can get it repaired, it means I can pull the screw / nail out whilst the tyre is still semi inflated and get on the go again with it 10 - 15 minutes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sure the spare was standard on the 4x4?

When you do search for one, make sure the spare is exactly the same size as the wheels on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If you wish to check, take a tape measure and measure the depth of the spare wheel recess and compare to the physical width of the wheel / tyre.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure the spare was standard on the 4x4?

When you do search for one, make sure the spare is exactly the same size as the wheels on the car.
Thanks for the advice! I've been poking around on the internet and found this website: List of car vendors and makes. Wheel fitment and tire size guide and knowledge base.
This tells me that the PCD of the Duster wheel studs is 114.3mm, the centre bore 66.1mm and the offset 50mm. I then did a reverse search to find which wheels will actually fit.
Turns out some Renault wheels will fit (who'd have thought it . . . ???) and some Nissans. I could increase the number of suitable donor vehicles if I used a wheel with a 40mm offset but don't know if they would be liable to foul the suspension? It's only for a spare and wouldn't be long-term so I think that would be acceptable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you wish to check, take a tape measure and measure the depth of the spare wheel recess and compare to the physical width of the wheel / tyre.
Had a look yesterday and there's a chunk of polystyrene in the wheel-well where the spare would go. I put a tape measure down the side of the polystyrene and there's 12" (~300mm . . . ) so a full-size wheel should go in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts