UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fella has just been to the airport to pick his parents up in a mates 62 plate 9000mile Qashqai and found it very noisy engine wise compared to our Duster.

His average diesel mpg was 38mpg which compares to ours 41-44mpg average.

Couldn't get the luggage in the Qashquai with some having to go on the back seat with the 2 passengers.

Amazed the higher priced Nissan fell short.

Apparently didn't want to start from cold either!

Anyone else compared the two?

PS Big D got his photo on Dacia UK facebook and twitter pages doing his thing in the snow!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
You don't know how his mate has driven the car so I'd discount the engine noise and maybe the cold start problem but the rest, internal space, mpg and the price make it a poor choice.

/It's also ugly...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone else compared the two?
We have owned both and still have the Qashqai..1.5 diesel..wife has managed over 70mpg when trying really hard. She generally likes to put her foot down though and went from the Midlands to Southampton and back yesterday and got 55mpg. It's a 14 plate so I don't know if they've revised them since the version you drove?

The Nissan is far more refined inside and out, there's no comparison really and neither should there be for the price difference. Steering is much sharper and it's easy to drive and live with. The Duster has better load capacity but the Qashqai is clever in the way you can divide up the boot.

Lots of standard kit on hers like reversing cameras, lane departure warning, assistive braking , panoramic glass roof, Satnav, tyre pressure monitor, Bluetooth etc.

Of course the main thing is it hasn't gone rusty unlike my Duster that I had refunded. I was trying to keep costs down but she earns her own money from her business to pay for whatever car she wants. I can see why the Nissan comes out top with many motoring magazines etc. but it's too pricey for my liking.

I only had an Access spec Duster so it's not really a fair comparison but they were like night & day. That said it was £10k more than my Duster.

With the money I got back I decided not to have a Duster again and have been driving my Hyundai IX35 for a couple of weeks now. Just as good to drive as the Nissan , feels modern and refined..1.6 petrol is smooth and perky..completely the opposite of Duster petrol engine. Nicely finished.. I like how solid everything feels/sounds. Really impressed with it and it was 6 months old but only £13k with 6k milage and plenty of kit as standard.

It's the daft little things that make the Duster feel cheap stuff like the door handles feeling flimsy and not having a solid clunk when you close the door. Being able to see into bits of it that others cover over like into the wings when you open the door. Naff windscreen wipers, and cheap feeling seats. I guess that's why they are a budget motor.

You pays your money and takes your choice I guess but I'd take the Nissan & Hyundai over the Dacia if someone were to offer to buy me one for free !

·
Registered
73 Posts
But if you're buying it yourself? Have to say we love our duster , and father in law has an ix35. I much prefer the steering feel of the duster.much more feel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
But if you're buying it yourself? Have to say we love our duster , and father in law has an ix35. I much prefer the steering feel of the duster.much more feel.
I think the Nissan is overpriced personally but it is a very good car...voted the best in it's class many times in the motoring press... you can't really argue with the mutiple awards it's won:-

WHAT CAR? CAR OF THE YEAR 2014

WHAT CAR?'S BEST SMALL SUV 2015

WHAT CAR BEST USED CAR 3 YEARS RUNNING

EURO NCAP'S SAFEST SMALL FAMILY CAR OF 2014

BEST CROSSOVER AUTO EXPRESS AWARDS 2014

OVERALL WINNER TOW CAR AWARDS 2014

DIESEL CAR OF THE YEAR 2014 AND BEST CROSSOVER

The Duster's trump card is the low price and well proportioned boot...if those are the two most important things to you then it's an attractive proposition ( putting aside the rust issue )

Having owned a 2014 model of each of the three within the past few months I'd rate both the Hyundai & Nissan above the Dacia. I think the iX35 is the best value for money being reasonably priced and quite classy, the Qashqai wins on refinment, build quality, driving experience & safety but comes at a high price and the Duster is spacious and cheap to buy but you have to be prepared to live with the compromises of a dated cabin feel, wind & road noise, lower quality fittings etc.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but while I had the Duster I didn't meet anyone who liked it's looks, I think they were all quite polite and said it wasn't really to their taste . Personally I don't mind it but the others look sharper to me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the Nissan is overpriced personally but it is a very good car...voted the best in it's class many times in the motoring press... you can't really argue with the mutiple awards it's won:-

WHAT CAR? CAR OF THE YEAR 2014

WHAT CAR?'S BEST SMALL SUV 2015

WHAT CAR BEST USED CAR 3 YEARS RUNNING

EURO NCAP'S SAFEST SMALL FAMILY CAR OF 2014

BEST CROSSOVER AUTO EXPRESS AWARDS 2014

OVERALL WINNER TOW CAR AWARDS 2014

DIESEL CAR OF THE YEAR 2014 AND BEST CROSSOVER

The Duster's trump card is the low price and well proportioned boot...if those are the two most important things to you then it's an attractive proposition ( putting aside the rust issue )

Having owned a 2014 model of each of the three within the past few months I'd rate both the Hyundai & Nissan above the Dacia. I think the iX35 is the best value for money being reasonably priced and quite classy, the Qashqai wins on refinment, build quality, driving experience & safety but comes at a high price and the Duster is spacious and cheap to buy but you have to be prepared to live with the compromises of a dated cabin feel, wind & road noise, lower quality fittings etc.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but while I had the Duster I didn't meet anyone who liked it's looks, I think they were all quite polite and said it wasn't really to their taste . Personally I don't mind it but the others look sharper to me.
Unfortunately you are not comparing like with like, you can buy any of the Duster range for less than most of the cars you are comparing with and that is the real issue. Consider that the duster also uses a very similar engine and transmission to the qashqai and it has to be a bargain, the drive of the Duster I really like it does everything asked of it and it has great roadholding, you can really hoon it round.

Personally I really like the chunky shape of the duster it looks like its rugged and means business and when you drive along it always seems to tower over qashqais, my choice, but I wanted one from when they were first introduced in France and waited for a couple of years until they arrived in the UK and to be honest I am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unfortunately you are not comparing like with like
The thread is called Duster Vs Qashqai...that's why I compared the two.. having owned both I felt I had a valid opinion. :)

Unfortunately you are not comparing like with like, you can buy any of the Duster range for less than most of the cars you are comparing with and that is the real issue.
I don't disagree, I said the Nissan was expensive. Really the Duster is competing against used SUVs from other car makers. I chose a 6 month old Hyundai instead which could have passed for brand new if it weren't for the milage reading.

Similar spec to the Laureate Duster with Aircon/Alloys etc. and metallic paint for £13k with 4.5yrs warranty remaining :eek:The nearest Duster brand new would be £14k or more if you upped the warranty package.

There's a world of difference in the quality of the fit & finish too. The Duster was less comfortable and noisier than my 12 yr old Citroen.

Consider that the duster also uses a very similar engine and transmission to the qashqai and it has to be a bargain, the drive of the Duster I really like it does everything asked of it and it has great roadholding, you can really hoon it round.
The Dacia doesn't make as good use of that same engine. There's a comparison video here that pretty much sums up my own feelings. The Nissan is smoother , quieter and more economical and handles much better. Same goes for the iX35 to a lesser extent, it's not as sharp as the Nissan but very good.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/carbuyer-compares-nissan-qashqai-mazda.html

Personally I really like the chunky shape of the duster it looks like its rugged and means business and when you drive along it always seems to tower over qashqais, my choice, but I wanted one from when they were first introduced in France and waited for a couple of years until they arrived in the UK and to be honest I am quite happy with it.
It is taller, I think that's partly why it's more wallowy in the corners. As long as you are happy that's the main thing :)

Having had the Duster I far more impressed with it's replacement and I've spent less for a similar spec.to the Laureate with a longer warranty, even if it was 6 months old. It feels much more solid, even the door handles on the Duster feel cheap and nasty, it reminds me of the Kia Pride I use have on the 90s in many ways.

I don't think Dacia are pitching the Duster properly , the Access is woefully underequipped for a new car..they'd be better ditching that trim level altogether and starting with at least the Ambience..even that misses out on Aircon unlike almost any other make.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you're missing the point here. The access model is the initial attraction to the brand due the rediculously low price. It gets people through the doors of dealerships and then let's them decide on a more equipped version should they desire. The ambience is still about 40% cheaper than a similar priced alternative. Comparing a already 'price depreciated' 2nd hand Hyundai to a brand new dacia is not very balanced. Glad you're happy with the Hyundai though, I bet their forum isn't as good as this one though
Not missing the point. My point is if you've got £x's to spend on a car, the cheapest new car isn't necessarily the best value.

We've bought three SUV style cars in the last 6 months..two of them brand new..the Dacia and the Nissan, Hand on heart the Duster wasn't a patch on the other two and while I agree you'd be looking at a 2yr old Qashqai, the six month old iX35 feels like a new modern car in ways that the Duster didn't. It's far nicer to drive, is more comfortable and classier inside and has more warranty left for £1k less than a new Laureate Duster by the time you've added the metalllic paint.

I'd probably agree that the Ambience Duster strikes the best balance in price & spec but even at £11.5k people expect aircon and alloy wheels nowadays, I think the Laureate is over priced for the extras you get and a good nearly new car makes sense in many cases.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Geraint I'm really think in about trade. In my Mondeo estate for duster there down to below £8.000 here nw if u got one for £6.000 keep it for 3 yes trade it in ull still get about same price u bought it for as long as u watch the rust issue but then be worth extra warantry

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ur getting extra yr rust warantry even u keep duster for 4 yr u still got warantry for rust just keep eye on it ur inner wings won't rust bad enough to fail first 2 MOT by that time vehicles will be beta prob that my thought anyway

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not missing the point. My point is if you've got £x's to spend on a car, the cheapest new car isn't necessarily the best value.

We've bought three SUV style cars in the last 6 months..two of them brand new..the Dacia and the Nissan, Hand on heart the Duster wasn't a patch on the other two and while I agree you'd be looking at a 2yr old Qashqai, the six month old iX35 feels like a new modern car in ways that the Duster didn't. It's far nicer to drive, is more comfortable and classier inside and has more warranty left for £1k less than a new Laureate Duster by the time you've added the metalllic paint.

I'd probably agree that the Ambience Duster strikes the best balance in price & spec but even at £11.5k people expect aircon and alloy wheels nowadays, I think the Laureate is over priced for the extras you get and a good nearly new car makes sense in many cases.
CD, it seems odd to me that you didn't notice all of the faults that the duster has on your test drive? I'm also surprised that you consider cars costing £8 - £12 more are better, as I previously said you are not comparing like to like the Duster that you had was "new" at £8k ish and according to the Hyundai web site the iX35 starts at £17K, by my calculation that is double?

No doubt the Romanian built Duster is a much nicer car than the Indian built one but have you actually driven a Laureate? To say that the car is overpriced when it is £4.5K less than the lowest diesel iX35 hardly seems reasonable, thats 25% less, and there have been offers of free 5 year warranty on the Duster.

Now I'm no great defender of Dacia, they have, in my opinion, made some appalling mistakes with the Duster but overall they must be doing something right as they have certainly sold a lot of cars for a start up company in the UK so much so that other manufacturers are copying the idea of a no frills (cheaper) brand.

I wish you well with your iX35, it is interesting to hear what you think and as long as you are happy with it thats all that really matters

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting, we've bought the access 1.6 petrol 4x4 to cope with our dog walking adventures. It's a new 15 plate phase 2 ,and yes the dash is hard plastic,but who strokes a dash. Everything feels as solid and as well built as our minis and father in laws new ix35, just with more brittle plastic that actually with what we use it for is better.steering is way better, than his ix35 imo. but of course theres no kit. Just in fact what we wanted, a rugged hard wearing go anywhere vehicle but on top of this we were shocked by our dusters amazing refinement at all speeds, and ride comfort. 1000mils in and not a rattle or a squeak either.

If we had wanted a new ix35 with 4x4 we'd have been looking at £9000 more than we paid. Nearly another duster. Mmmmm

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Interesting, we've bought the access 1.6 petrol 4x4 to cope with our dog walking adventures. It's a new 15 plate phase 2 ,and yes the dash is hard plastic,but who strokes a dash. Everything feels as solid and as well built as our minis and father in laws new ix35, just with more brittle plastic that actually with what we use it for is better.steering is way better, than his ix35 imo. but of course theres no kit. Just in fact what we wanted, a rugged hard wearing go anywhere vehicle but on top of this we were shocked by our dusters amazing refinement at all speeds, and ride comfort. 1000mils in and not a rattle or a squeak either.

If we had wanted a new ix35 with 4x4 we'd have been looking at £9000 more than we paid. Nearly another duster. Mmmmm
Was it you who either bought or posted the photos of the rare (unique?) silver Access? Or am I imagining things?

·
Registered
169 Posts
CD, it seems odd to me that you didn't notice all of the faults that the duster has on your test drive?
Well firstly I was coming out of 12 year Old Xsara Picasso with a knackered shock absorber and 130k miles so anything is better than that, secondly I actually drove a Laureate as that was the demonstrator so 20 minutes in that whilst making converstation with the Salesperson probably isn't enough. I only really got a "feel" for it after a couple of weeks to be honest, doing the types of trips I normally do. I don't think you can truly tell until you've lived with the car for little while.

Thirdly I wouldn't call them faults, just shortcomings and acceptable ones at £8.5k brand new but most still apply to the top models which are £13-15k which is where I think the Duster makes less sense than some of it's rivals.

I'm also surprised that you consider cars costing £8 - £12 more are better, as I previously said you are not comparing like to like the Duster that you had was "new" at £8k ish and according to the Hyundai web site the iX35 starts at £17K, by my calculation that is double?
I take you meant £8k - £12k more. Not so.. you can get a Pre-Reg Brand new 1.6 GDI s iX35 for £14.5k ..that's only £1,000 more than a Laureate whch I think I'm right in saying aren't available with any further discount.

No doubt the Romanian built Duster is a much nicer car than the Indian built one but have you actually driven a Laureate? To say that the car is overpriced when it is £4.5K less than the lowest diesel iX35 hardly seems reasonable, thats 25% less, and there have been offers of free 5 year warranty on the Duster.
Yes, I have driven the Laureate and sat it a couple of Ambience and Access too. I hope the Romanian Facelift version is a big improvement as the Indian ones are miles behind the build quality of the competition. You can get the diesel iX35 with delivery mileage for a discounted £15k so yeah I think the Laureate looks too expensive for what it is on that basis especially if you have to stump up for the 5yr warranty to match if they aren't having a special offer. I understand Dacia have a "no discount" policy so the price is the price?

Now I'm no great defender of Dacia, they have, in my opinion, made some appalling mistakes with the Duster but overall they must be doing something right as they have certainly sold a lot of cars for a start up company in the UK so much so that other manufacturers are copying the idea of a no frills (cheaper) brand.
I don't disagree with the concept of a no frills car being a good one but the execution on the Indian Duster leaves a lot to be desired and when you opt to spec up the Duster you pay not far off something much better for what is essentially still a budget car underneath. False economy in my view. I'd rather take the cheap as chips Access with all it's compromises and live with them knowing I'd saved 3-4k than pay almost as much for the Laureate version as I could get the iX35 ( or one of the other contenders for like a Suzuki SX4 S-cross ). I hope any other manufacturer that goes down this route keeps the manufacturing in Europe.

I wish you well with your iX35, it is interesting to hear what you think and as long as you are happy with it thats all that really matters
Thanks. Sadly I suspect we will be seeing a few Rusters over the next 5 or 6 years I plan to keep this car. I'd still say "nearly new" is a good choice for people looking to keep costs down. Now I've had the experience of all 3 cars I would rather sacrifice the "brand new " aspect of a Duster and have the higher quality car at 6 months old. I'd also rather do that than go for a 2+yr old Qashqai for the same money which is what this thread was originally about.

Everbody has there own view I guess but at least mine is based on ownership of all three ! Caveat Emptor.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts