UK Dacia Forum banner

Duster's Competition In Colombia

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Pitter Colombia 
#1 ·
In terms of price and equipment Renault Duster 4x4 appears to have two competitors in Colombia at the moment. One is the Chinese Haval 5 by Great Wall. It comes with a 2.4 petrol motor putting out 134hp (vs Renault's 2.0 putting out 138hp) and it sells for $56'000.000 Colombian pesos (vs Renault Duster for $51'500.000). It seems to have pretty much the same bells and whistles as the Duster. The other competitor would be Mahindra Scorpio. It comes with a 2.2 diesel that puts out 120hp and sells for just under $57'000.000. Interestingly it comes with a five year or 1000,000k guarantee while both Duster and Haval come with a two year/50,000k warranty. Thing about that Mahindra warranty though is who knows if the brand will be in Colombia five years from now. There was a 4x4 Tata pickup being sold through Hyundai dealers beginning around 2002 but it disappeared from the market after just a few years. Except for not being available with a diesel (which is considerably cheaper here) Duster seems to beat the competition hands down with the added advantage that it is assembled in country.

#3 ·
Nope, neither of them on sale here at present. Also, IMO neither of them a patch on the Duster for looks - and I'll bet the Chinese one, at the very least, will do appallingly badly in crash-tests.

And I don't mean just losing a couple of stars on the omission of a couple of Nanny-State buttons either:

#5 ·
Oh dear that I do feel sorry for that Scorpio thing. It really has hit all the branches of the ugly tree as it crashed into it in a fit of depression over the way it looks :D :lol: :D

#7 ·
Well "Steed" isn't a bad name for the Great Wall truck in the UK. Here they call the thing "Wingle"! Can you imagine having to tell anyone you drive a "Wingle"??? But I guess in Spanish it doesn't have the same silly ring to it. Probably no ring at all just weird. I think anyone planning to purchase that Scorpio here in Colombia had better already be married because you'd probably never get a date if that's what you drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.