UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a duster access 4x4, but can't find many second hand yet as they are so popular, so started looking at salvage vehicles.

I am shocked though how many are appearing at breakers yards for such small damage.

I went down to my local salvage vehicle sales and they have two dusters, both the 2x4 Lauréate with small amounts of panel damage, I was speaking to the guys and they said it's a parts supply issue, as dacia have such a long lead time on parts insurance companies are writing them off as they don't want clients in a curtsey car for 3 months waiting for parts to be delivered.

Just thought people would be interested, if you own one be careful your insurance company does not scrap the vehicle on the spot, if you are looking for one you will find them for cheep money.

Just to give you an idea, I found a Lauréate 2x4 diesel, with 1,500 miles on the clock sold for a smidgen over £5k. The damage was so minimal I have driven cars with less damage!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say small damage. How much damage? any engine repairs needed or are we just talking cosmetics?
All cosmetic, the vehicle had been backed into a post, new rear bumper, and two new rear lights, you could get away with just polishing the rear lights, when the driver reversed into the post they kept going by looks of it, and the bumper had popped up and over the rear lights and scratched them, but with some polishing compound and an orbital you could get them out in about 30 mins.

I took my friend with me who is an estimator in the car repair business, so it's his job to price cars up when they go in for repair, he checked the vehicle over for other damage like shell damage, boot floor and it had none.

They had another one in that has a gouge down the rear quarter panel and fuel filler cap, it would need a new rear quarter panel and filler cap, fitted and painted to oem specs was around 2k mark, vehicle went for 7k had 900 miles on it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lets hope someone writes off a Sandero Stepway in black, Laureate version! then I might just buy it!

Reactions: Troute

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
if one insurance company has written a vehicle off, how can you insure it for yourself? it must be unsafe, or it wouldn't have been written off in the first place. or am i missing the point? or it makes the system a farce, surely. i`d rather know i was safe!!!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Buying insurance write offs is a good way to get a decent car cheap as long as you know what you're doing. An insurance company will write off a vehicle because it's uneconomical for them to repair it, not always because it's unrepairable. Before he got too old to keep doing it my uncle used to make a tidy profit buying write offs, repairing them himself and selling them on. All above board and legal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
if one insurance company has written a vehicle off, how can you insure it for yourself? it must be unsafe, or it wouldn't have been written off in the first place. or am i missing the point? or it makes the system a farce, surely. i`d rather know i was safe!!!
Surely if marked as CAT B/C these have to be declared when you insure - hence all the dodgy ads with CAT C hidden away on Autotrader....where is this salvage sales?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
If a Car shows to have been "CAT" damaged, ie written off and repaired, it will reduce the resale value, but it doesn't necessarially make it a bad car, Troute is correct, it can be a good way to aquire a good car cheaply.

However some caution is needed, as all that is required to re register a written off Car, is a New MOT, so no chassis or alignment checking is required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cat B cant be purchased by just anyone, only people with a licence can purchase a cat b as they are dismantle only.

Cat c has to have an inspect before it can go back on the road, much like an mot but a bit more stringent.

Cat d can go back onto the road without an inspection, it will always show up on the checks when you purchase a car.

Lets say you buy a car that is worth £10,000, you drive it for 6 months and it's worth 8 thousand pounds, the book value would be 8k. You damage your car and do 2,000 pounds worth of damage to the vehicle, in this case an insurance company would do the repair, however, lets say the car was undrivable and parts are hard to get hold of, you would expect to be put into a hire car whilst yours is getting repaired, well if the hire car costs £100 a day, parts take two months to arrive from suppliers, so 60 days at £100 = £6,000. This would add 6k to the price of the repair, so we are now looking at 8k for total repair, so it's above vehicle value.

Insurance companies also look at it from another perspective, if they do repair the car and you get issues they have to warrant them, so any future issues like paint peeling or bad repair will cost them more money, then you get the part that is even more frustrating, when the insurance company write a vehicle off they will sell it to a salvage company, for say £2,000. Now we are at a stage where the insurance company make money if they Wright your car off.

Most insurance companies are not allowed to use second hand parts, or none genuine so cost of repair can be high.

Insuring a cat d /c is easy, just inform the insurance company as they will know when they check and most of the time wont add a penny.

I remember a few years ago a friend of mine purchased a rover 75 just after rover went pop, it was a cat d had every single toy and had delivery miles. It needed a new front bumper and two new headlights, as the vehicle had hid each light was £700 plus ballasts bulbs and the bumper, and as new parts hard to get they wrote the car off. My friend purchased the car, and got the parts off ebay and fitted it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
No wonder insurance premiums are so expensive. We are being ripped off either way! :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
After running up a £1300 bill for cracking my front plastic Astra bumper I'm not surprised... They billed me for a complete headlight (top plastic mount cracked) wing (pushed out 10mm and I swear its still on the car plus the plastics & paint. It wouldn't take much cosmetic damage to reach the price of a Sandero...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Says 2013, then 62 then has 51 plate, surely the owner wanted the private plate back?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
....there must be other reasons insurance companies write these cars off.
My theory is that insurance companies charge each other extortionate amounts to settle claims and actually can't be bothered to properly assess damage because that all takes time: a write-off is quicker and simpler for them and they pass on all the costs by way of increased premiums to the rest of us...... they win, we lose. Whilst they whinge about the costs of repairs and settling whiplash injury claims they are making huge profits which they pass back to their shareholders in healthy dividends......IMHO. :mellow:

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is an industry that needs some serious investigation and re-regulation.

My Sandero only has one main dent, one tiny dent, one tiny crack and some paint scuffs and scrapes. But I actually fear going through my insurance in case they just write it off.

This isn't how it should be.

(Just a quick edit: the file is open on the insurance records for lawful reasons. But I can choose to repair the car myself)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go for Cat. D , amazing bargains &less hassle ..... Some repairs could well be DIY...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If the Insurance Company write a car off doesn't that make it impossible to insure and tax again though?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
No. As posted above:

Cat c has to have an inspect before it can go back on the road, much like an mot but a bit more stringent.

Cat d can go back onto the road without an inspection, it will always show up on the checks when you purchase a car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts