UK Dacia Forum banner

Eco button

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  carlos 
#1 ·
Sure I read on here yesterday a member saying if you press the gas pedal sharply then ECO MODE will disengage. Tried it last night on my Stepway Tce90 while in motion and it did not. Anyone got any more info because this would be very useful?

#5 ·
to fully disengage,, turn the switch off Jonners
...and then leave it off: I'm still getting the same or better fuel economy with 'eco off'...

...probably due to the nature of my daily commute, and the lack of long distance motorway runs - largely 'cos we don't have many long distance motorways over here!...

Joe

Reactions: Phil48
#7 ·
I'm on a bit of a mission with my Logan. After a half century of having to chase around for work, now I'm retired I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time so have the luxury of being able to 'poodle' around and part of the joy of driving has become doing it as economically as possible. I have had 'Eco' switched on since I got the car in September and am more than happy with the performance...it just requires a change in driving style. The little Tce90 is a fabulous engine and the car zoomed up hills in Yorkshire and the Peak District a few weeks ago. Last week I took four adult friends and a boot full of luggage to Heathrow and had to hold the car back on the motorway to keep at 70mph.

When I returned from Yorkshire, as an experiment, I set Cruise Control to 50mph for the whole way back. This was during the night, on motorways, so I wasn't holding anyone up. The computer showed 71.4 mpg. Petrol! Early hours this Monday did the same thing back from Portsmouth...including some in town, but mostly Dual Carriageway and motorway...69.9 mpg. I'm going to brim it tomorrow to check, but I did that on the trip back from Yorkshire and the computer was pretty accurate.

Each to their own, but until someone tells me 'Eco' mode is harmful, I'll stick with it. I only use Shell Nitro V Power, don't know if that makes a difference, only time will tell.

#8 ·
I dont use V power higher octain in mine it gets the ordinary stuff..I dont and wont be using the Eco button as well the less I push buttons the less to go wrong I found..my clio 3 had everything on that and I didnt even know how to use the Sat nav :D a step down to poverty spec suits me just fine.. :)

#10 ·
#11 ·
The photo could be too large to upload to the forum, Compress the photo then try again.

You are running on a false economy, You are using the Eco button to save fuel but you are unnecessary filling your tank with the expensive fuel rather than standard fuel which is the correct grade for these cars.
To be fair you might well see a slight power increase with 97/98/99 RON fuel versus 95 (or even 91/92 in somewhere like Romania), as the knock sensor will be able to advance the ignition a bit more with higher octane fuel and this might be noticeable on a turbocharged engine (much less so, if at all, on a normally aspirated engine) - whether the slight power increase (probably a true 5-8%) justifies the additional fuel cost is a personal thing.

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice and comments. The file was too large but I won't bother trying to rectify it as it would prove I was lying...I only got 69.7 MPG rather than the 69.9 I thought I had.

I don't regard using Shell V Power as a false economy, I'm using it because of the additives. It may be nonsense but I'm sticking with it until I'm convinced otherwise. Good enough for Honest John, good enough for me. Eco mode is a personal thing. It suits me but I appreciate it wouldn't everyone. Equally, not everyone can poodle around at 50 MPH the way I can these days, and I have proven to myself that 50 is the sweet spot in my car - anything over that increases consumption a fair bit. I guess I added about 30 - 40 minutes on my return trip from Portsmouth to Northampton, but the best thing about being an old bugger is...who cares?

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice and comments. The file was too large but I won't bother trying to rectify it as it would prove I was lying...I only got 69.7 MPG rather than the 69.9 I thought I had.

I don't regard using Shell V Power as a false economy, I'm using it because of the additives. It may be nonsense but I'm sticking with it until I'm convinced otherwise. Good enough for Honest John, good enough for me. Eco mode is a personal thing. It suits me but I appreciate it wouldn't everyone. Equally, not everyone can poodle around at 50 MPH the way I can these days, and I have proven to myself that 50 is the sweet spot in my car - anything over that increases consumption a fair bit. I guess I added about 30 - 40 minutes on my return trip from Portsmouth to Northampton, but the best thing about being an old bugger is...who cares?
I know nothing about the fuel les, but agreed on the eco, if you want to take it easy it's got to be on, without it it's off the mark like something on off a stick I find... Especially when your queuing in traffic :-o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.