UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 8000+ miles on my 2wd 1.5 dci Duster and am wondering just what the benefits of running in ECO mode are.

From what I have observed, using ECO mode reduces the turbo boost and reduces the effectiveness of the air conditioning.

My overall mpg averages 45-48 mpg, using cruise control where appropriate, with and without using the ECO mode.

I do use ECO mode in urban areas although I cannot say I have noticed any difference one way or another. I believe personal driving style is more important.

I have stopped using ECO mode on the motorway because it so severely affects acceleration that I feel it to be dangerous !

To pull out to overtake a car, doing 65, and floor the accelerator to be rewarded with - NOTHING is scary. Without ECO the acceleration is perfectly acceptable.

In addition, with ECO on, climbing anything other than a gentle incline on the motorway requires dropping down to 5th gear. Switch off ECO and the car sails up the incline with no difficulty.

I have come to feel that the whole ECO mode is nothing more than a nod to the environmentalists.

By the way, I am still delighted with the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you really Jeremy Clarkson? You are aren't you. ;)
What do you think ?

Nah, the acceleration I am taking about is that needed to keep out of the way of other traffic with cruise control set at 70mph and wishing to get past a slightly slower car/truck and get back into lane 1. :)

I am very conscious of the dreadful fuel economy when you push too hard.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can only say that Eco mode is meant to be used in clogged up traffic situations. I only use mine when stuck in traffic in densely urban areas. I would not dream of using it on the motorway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only say that Eco mode is meant to be used in clogged up traffic situations. I only use mine when stuck in traffic in densely urban areas. I would not dream of using it on the motorway.
Thanks for that DKing, I could not find much about using ECO mode and only found out 'the hard way".

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Never use mine at all, but the other one I've noticed is if the cruise control is switched on and you try to accelerate using the throttle that there also appears to be a similar lack of instant power, whether the cruise switch also activates ECO mode or if it's a delay while the brain registers an override.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got a tce90 Stepway and have no problems when using ECO, which I tend to use all the time now, I tried it with and without when we went on holiday to Cornwall earlier in the year, the difference in fuel was about 10 mpg and it made no difference to acceleration etc whatsoever. If feels like its "taking off" sometimes!! No problems going up the steep hills or overtaking. My husband had the same 6 speed diesel engine minus the ECO as in the Duster mentioned earlier and he says that without ECO it was gutless, struggled up hills and failed to maintain Cruise Control levels on inclines. So he hates to think what it would be like with ECO mellowing it. The problem isn't the ECO on 1.5dci engine its the 6 speed gearbox with abysmal gearing ratios and yes. ....... he is an engineer (aircraft technician)!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
i use eco mode when i think the engine is losing power. run eco for a week, return to normal - oh no it is quite quick

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So the bottom line is the ECO button is pretty useless then ? I thought as much :)
it's probably got a use... I found it useful in snow... That's about it, makes the TCe make a real weird deadheading rattle from somewhere in the heading... Maybe that's just me ;-)

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
I have eco on all the time and i find none of what the OP suggests.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
Maybe your engine modifications help then?
nope, even before them I was finding the ECO was okay. Yes the throttle response is more 'relaxed' but if you take that into account when you are driving then it doesn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've driven my DCi in ECO for about 90% of its' life so far. At least with this car if you need power you can put your foot to the floor to temporarily cancel out the ECO mode. My Fiat 500 TwinAir doesn't.

What keeps me leaving ECO on is I've tested it and on my journeys to work (quick A roads in Somerset) you get 5-6mpg better at Speeds of around 60mph. Doesn't make any difference in urban environments IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts