UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 0.9 Stepway Ambiance for about 3 weeks, am loving it but going through quite a bit of petrol. Latest figures 37.5 mpg, I travel approx 8 miles motorway and 4 miles urban daily. Have Eco on all the time. Has anyone noticed a big difference using Eco or I am thinking I am using more fuel driving on Eco making it work a bit harder on the motorway? I am doing another mpg check now not on Eco just to see the difference.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Without the benefit of a direct comparison, my first thought is you're doing fairly short journeys, and it's not really getting up to proper temperature, so the result is probably not too unrealistic. Also, you will probably notice an improvement over the coming weeks and months as the new engine 'beds-in.'

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can give you a better dea of what to expect :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Exactly ! you are not even getting the car warm so it will be running rich ! And a Tip take the car for a good run or you will have a dead battery in no time !!! In winter time you have lights on radio on heater Blower rear window de-mister and stuff and you wont be putting back what you are taking out

As usual my thoughts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I did underestimate my daily mileage, I know its still not a lot but about 20 miles per day. I am trying a few days off eco just to compare.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know it 'plays around' with things like the air-con..... I turned the air-con on the other day in ECO mode and then turned the ECO off - the difference in 'chill' factor was noticeable. When I put ECO back on, you could feel the chill reducing. That's the most obvious thing it does. I believe it also changes the 'mapping' of the engine with respect to throttle response and fuel flow rates.

Accelerating 'hard' will bypass the ECO mode for more performance - strangely, with ECO on, you may be pressing the accelerator harder to get up to speed - turn off the ECO and the full engine power / torque is available straight away - you don't feel the urge to press quite so hard on the gas pedal :)

The ECO button may do other things too so let's wait and see what others can tell us!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I know it 'plays around' with things like the air-con..... I turned the air-con on the other day in ECO mode and then turned the ECO off - the difference in 'chill' factor was noticeable. When I put ECO back on, you could feel the chill reducing. That's the most obvious thing it does. I believe it also changes the 'mapping' of the engine with respect to throttle response and fuel flow rates.

Accelerating 'hard' will bypass the ECO mode for more performance - strangely, with ECO on, you may be pressing the accelerator harder to get up to speed - turn off the ECO and the full engine power / torque is available straight away - you don't feel the urge to press quite so hard on the gas pedal :)

The ECO button may do other things too so let's wait and see what others can tell us!
Yep my understanding is similar, if floored then you get the power boost, its nearly like a 2 stage pedal.

On the Motorway and around town i use the Eco button, used today on a 180 mile trip and returned 65mpg, if i'm wanting to kick on then knock it off and you have loads of power to play with whilst not damaging the economy to much but instant grunt

·
Registered
149 Posts
After 2000 miles I'm at 28 mpg in a busy and congested city, Bucharest. No ECO or aircon... ECO mode suppose to drop fuel consumption with 10% .
I'm getting slightly better Razvan - I've just gone past 200 miles (all with ECO on) and my average seems to be around 33mpg - it's slowly creeping up as the engine / gearbox loosen up. My average speed is around 13mph over that distance / time period.

On the next fill-up I'm going to try without ECO on and see what happens.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have just been on live chat with a guy at Dacia UK (Matthew Stone) I have asked him for a detailed explanation of what actually happens when the ECO button is used. He said he will try to find the information and email it to me, (within 48hrs) as soon as I get it I'll post it on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quite interested to hear the official line on this feature.

I suppose the best way is for some like for like journeys, with and without the eco mode activated.

Personally, I think that it might be easy for a driver to switch on eco and drive like a loony, still expect to return decent mpg and be very disappointed. Whereas a careful driver in 'normal' mode could easily return published figures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have done 2 mpg calculations, one with eco and one without. With eco I am getting 37.5 mpg and without 32 so I will be sticking to eco for sure

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have done 2 mpg calculations, one with eco and one without. With eco I am getting 37.5 mpg and without 32 so I will be sticking to eco for sure
That's pretty good - well over the 10 / 12% improvement I would've expected

·
Registered
81 Posts
the eco mode is to reduce torque, so if you are quite heavy footed you wont be setting off quickly, hence reducing MPG, im currently getting 68-70MPG driving 85-90 a day mon - Friday 50-60 motoway miles.

·
Registered
895 Posts
70 Mpg in winter sounds very good to me in fact that is brilliant

The base-spec Access model falls into the second lowest insurance group (2), while any trips to the petrol station will be few and far between because of the Sandero's frugal fuel consumption. You will have to pay the highest price for the most efficient engine, though, with the 1.5-litre dCi producing 89bhp while returning 74.3mpg in combined fuel economy and emitting 99g/km of CO2lb_icon1.png. Of the rest of the range, the 74bhp 1.2-litre petrol engine returns 47.9mpg in economy and emits 137g/km of CO2, and the 89bhp 900cc model manages to return 54.3mpg and emit 116g/km. All Sanderos are sold with a standard three-year/60,000-mile warranty, plus the choice to extend it up to five or seven years for a small premium

Read more: Dacia Sandero hatchback review | CarBuyer http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/dacia/sandero/hatchback/review#ixzz2nCsQkZT1
Follow us: @CarbuyerUK on Twitter | CarbuyerUK on Facebook

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Surely it's got to be diesel for those figures !!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts