UK Dacia Forum banner

Electric fault and ESP lights come and go.

47K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  ambvol 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been at the manufacturers service 4 times already. The mistake reported concerns different problems with fuel injection and pressure. After all the checking and reprograming they still don't know what is the problem and there is no mention of an ESP fault in computer. Any of you had a similar problem. Duster is diesel 2015, 4wd with 160k km.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, just had a similar experience with my 2014 diesel 4WD Duster. The red warning light for a critical electrical fault came on at the same time as the orange electronic stability program warning light, the engine began to run roughly so I pulled over and stopped. I left it for a minute or two, started up again and it ran perfectly, so I drove home (about 30 miles). So far I haven't taken it to a garage to diagnose the fault so I can't say what the trouble was. Hoping someone can share a similar experience, but I will post again once I have some answers.

#19 ·
Hi, just had a similar experience with my 2014 diesel 4WD Duster. The red warning light for a critical electrical fault came on at the same time as the orange electronic stability programme warning light, the engine began to run roughly so I pulled over and stopped. I left it for a minute or two, started up again and it ran perfectly, so I drove home (about 30 miles). So far I haven't taken it to a garage to diagnose the fault so I can't say what the trouble was. Hoping someone can share a similar experience, but I will post again once I have some answers.
Hi , just wondering have you had any answers? Having same problem. It happened a few weeks ago where it came on but went after I restarted the car but now this week its on constantly, sometimes losing power or not picking up speed. It constantly beeps. Sometimes it will turn off for a few minutes while driving but happens again. Garage think it might be fuel injectors and I need a new steering rack.. mine is also a 2015 4wd.

#3 ·
FWIW. My brand new Stepways electronic and check engine light have flashed for around 20secs on two separate occasions. The code DTC code I get is a random misfire but the engine is fine and nothing seems wrong. I'm thinking it's an electrical fault.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have had the same issue, started about a month ago, Esp and electric fault light came on for a few seconds then went off, took it for a diagnostic and found no codes. Been OK for 3 weeks and now the issue has started again, Monday it came on and off 3 times within 5 minutes of starter my journey, then it was fine for the rest of the journey 60 mile drive. Drove 68 miles Tuesday, no issues, took it out Tuesday night and again the lights came back on for a few seconds within 10 minutes of driving, then no issue for the rest of the journey.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had the same problem with my 2014 Duster.(diesel 4wd) When these lights come on there is a reduction in power. It is impossible to go faster than 65 to 75 mph and there is a huge reduction in torque. Around town it is not really noticeable but shows up more on long inclines where the lack of torque becomes evident. These lights tend to come on when driving with light throttle at around 50 mph or so. The fault codes seem to indicate a problem with injector rail pressure.
To date the following has been rectifications have been implemented but to no avail
Fuel filter replaced
rail pressure adjusted
new manifold heater plugs fitted
injectors and Dpf filter cleaned
When the lights come on if the vehicle engine is stopped for a short time(seconds) and restarted these lights go out and full power is restored. The vehicle can then go 100 to 200 or sometimes many more miles plus miles before it happens again.
Anyone got any ideas? Is it just a electrical fault with the system?
The vehicle was bought new to tow my small caravan but with this problem it as not safe to attempt towing due to the reduction on power and torque

#8 ·
Hello everyone, not been here in a long time.

I have a problem when my Dokker 1.6 MPI is packed full or pulling my trailer, it stutters and i get no more than 500 rpm.

This does not last long and combated by stopping, turning the Engine off and carrying on. The Engine fault light comes on and stays on for about 100 miles then is gone.

Most annoying as it only happens when i am trying to catch a Ferry home from across the water !!!

Anyone had similar issues ?

I am just about to change the Air Filter and spark plugs just to be sure there are no problems there and perhaps the HT leads as well ?

Oh and what are the correct sparkplug gaps as i can not find them anywhere please ?

Thanks.

#11 ·
It is very rare people post the resolution of their problem on this forum.

It may even be you have an electric fault with the ESP module as the warning lights indicate!

There are five ( six on later cars where the radio is on the Canbus ) electronic modules. The ESP module is in front of the gear stick and has accelerometers ( like smart phones ) to detect the motion of the car.

#13 ·
only had my 2017 4x4 1.5 diesel prestige 6 weeks and the abs and esc lights have been coming on intermittently but now they have stayed on for the last 2 days. i have had the car back to the garage and they cleared the lights with the diagnostic computer but they have come back on again. the car has only done 13000 miles. any ideas guys.?

#14 ·
Hi, I've got exactly the same problem with my 17 plate duster 4x4 prestige. Mines has been back to the local dealer a few times. Our Esp and Electronic warning lights come on for around 5 seconds, coupled with no power. After this the lights go out and power is restored.

The dealer says it's shows 'low voltage' on the fault reader. I've put a new battery which seemed to clear the fault for around 6 weeks but it's returned. Happens most journeys.

The dealer says they can't find it and doesn't want to see the car again even though I have an extended warranty.

I'm watching this thread!!!

#16 ·
Hi, I've got exactly the same problem with my 17 plate duster 4x4 prestige. Mines has been back to the local dealer a few times. Our Esp and Electronic warning lights come on for around 5 seconds, coupled with no power. After this the lights go out and power is restored.

The dealer says it's shows 'low voltage' on the fault reader. I've put a new battery which seemed to clear the fault for around 6 weeks but it's returned. Happens most journeys.

The dealer says they can't find it and doesn't want to see the car again even though I have an extended warranty.

I'm watching this thread!!!
Have a word with Dacia Customer Relations on 0344 335 1111 and see what they suggest, it needs to be sorted.
ohmy.png

#18 ·
Hello guys, looks like I am not only one having issues with Duster II. 3 times (randomly) just turned off with plenty of error (first error was electric circuit issue, second ESP, ABS, Steering wheel and etc) and after this turning off I cannot start my car, like imobilizer would be blocked. I have start-stop system, not simple key. So three times I just took off (-) from battery and put it back. After this procedure I can start my car, but got all same errors on dashboard. I driven my duster to local dealership to find issue for this problem, but they cannot find anything we got agreement that next time when car will turn off I call 24/7 help and bring my car to their service to find issue. Anyone had this too??

#21 ·
Not sure if this helps, but might be worth exploring with your local dealer if you have the same issues.
Had a problem with a 161 Duster - Electronic Warning Light and ESP lights came on, engine died and unable to move forward for a while. Restarted engine and could drive a short distance before same system faults appeared. Ended up being towed to local dealer. They claim that no faults showed up on their Diagnostics. However after they encountered the same problem on a test drive, they eventually diagnosed an issue where some wires in the wiring loom close to the starter had worn through because of chafing. Wiring repaired (don't know how they did it) and they claim it will never happen again - I hope!!
If there is an issue with wiring looms chafing, perhaps this is an issue for the manufacturers to examine???

#23 ·
Hi all Soni had this problem too. Engine light, electric fault light and esc light on, car running rough. I had a similar fault last year that turned out to be a loose battery. Tighten those- hard. My fault was diagnosed as injector no 3 open circuit. Was reluctant at first as couldn't understand the esc acting up and computer thrown out of whack too. Bit the bullet and main dealer booked in. Fuel injector replaced, new glow plug installed, looks like it got a software update too (but unsure) car display was all over the place and now fine. Car is driving like new. The injector fault throws the while electric system out of whack (not great design) the esc can't compensate properly so goes into off mode when it can't redirect power correctly (apparently) get the offending injector (€220) and glow plug (€20) replaced. I also had a small charge for injector wash (€5) and labor was €140 with vat here in Ireland the.cost to fix this awful problem with my duster was €441. Word of warning- he did remind me the car has 3 other injectors, meaning he perhaps expects the others to fail too. I'll be pretty pissed if they do but for now, for me, SOLVED. Hope above helps anyone 👍

#24 ·
Hallo from Greece. I own a 2014 dci duster 4x4 and i think ihave the same problem with you.
My issue is that the glow light becomes red and at the same time the esp is flashing and the power comes down, when i exceed a specific speed limit which is about 160-170 km/h.
This happens no matter if i catch this speed either using 5th or 6th gear. Because i have connected a racechip, i firstly thought that this could be the problem. I disconected but the broblem is still existing. I also connected an OBD device and i've got fault code P0002 and P0038.

#26 ·
P0002 is a generic OBD-II code indicating an issue with the engine control module (ECM) reading signals from your fuel pressure regulator on your fuel injection rail mounted to your engine. ... When the computer detects a pressure it is not commanding to the fuel pump, it will set a Check Engine Light.

#27 ·
The technical definition of P0038 code is: Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit High in Bank 1 Sensor 2. The meaning of the P0038 OBD2 Trouble Code is a mouthful, but basically the ECM is detecting a problem in the heating circuit in O2 sensor #2. This O2 sensor is located downstream or after the catalytic converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.