UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well we started with the Orange Electrical Fault light on permanently and the mechanic at the garage convinced me it was the alternator not putting enough power to the battery.
Couldn't source a new alternator so had the original unit reconditioned.
Now after a hefty bill (as the whole front of the car had to be taken off to remove said alternator - all day job) I find that the Warning light is now out, as is the green shift up / shift down the gears light and today found that I cannot set the cruise control or speed limiter.
Any pointers folks?
Thanks in advance.
Dacia Logan Laureate 1.5dci (2017)

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,334 Posts
Is your '17 a face lift? Apart from the restyling the easiest way to tell is the electric window switches were moved to the door arm rests from the centre console.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
In that case if it was only the orange light illuminated was the car due a service either 12K miles or 1 year. On the facelift it was used a a service warning light.

If it was the alternator you would expect the battery light to be on to indicate a charging fault.

The warning light can also be red to indicate a serious fault which I would expect an alternator charging fault to be classed as. Was it a dealer who told you it was an alternator fault.

Have the gear shift indicator and cruise control worked since the work was done as they probably rely on the same one or more sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In that case if it was only the orange light illuminated was the car due a service either 12K miles or 1 year. On the facelift it was used a a service warning light.

If it was the alternator you would expect the battery light to be on to indicate a charging fault.

The warning light can also be red to indicate a serious fault which I would expect an alternator charging fault to be classed as. Was it a dealer who told you it was an alternator fault.

Have the gear shift indicator and cruise control worked since the work was done as they probably rely on the same one or more sensors.
I thought the battery light should have been an indicator but there was never any sign of it coming on.

The orange (electrical system) warning light came on whilst we were on holiday near Weston Super Mare (we live in Darlington) but didn't seem to cause any issues so we carried on till we got home.

Mechanic put computer on car but got no fault codes, and couldn't put the orange light off, he put a tester on the battery, informed me there wasn't enough charge going into the battery so therefore the alternator must be at fault.

Gear shift indicator and cruise has not worked since I collected the car from the garage, mechanic claiming the work they did has nothing to do with the fact that they no longer work??

Cheers for your input so far, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
From your reply I take it you are not the first owner. I would check the date of the last service it will light 360 days after last reset or 12 K miles.

There is a lot of discussion on the forum about independent garages inability to reset the service light. Renault diagnostics are available to them but at a price most won't pay.
There are unofficial softwares that will do it and much more.

I assume from the year your car is stop/start. They were fitted with a smart alternator which varies the rate of charge to the battery and never fully charges the battery to allow for electrical energy recovery during braking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts