UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Stepway dCi should be mine next week and I'd just like to ask a question to those already inducted in the 'club'

This is my first ever new car so it's not something I've experienced. I remember when I was a kid that new cars had to have their engines run in (or if an engine had been re-bored). About 20 years ago though a mate bought a new Honda CRX and he told me he didn't have to run the engine in as they where all run in "on the bench" these days to avoid problems.

Was/Is this just a Honda thing or will I have to limit my speed/RPM for the first X number of miles?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
hi mark
there is a run-in period for the diesel engines...
On the duster its keep the revs below 2500 for the first 900 miles...and drive gently for first 3500 miles.
I did this...
And now the engine is smooth and responsive....and done 13000 miles!
Not sure on stepway "rules" but someone will...
If not...its in the manual...and just follow that...my salesman did not know this info btw....!!!!
DM x

Silvery silver is the shiniest !

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
D&M's advice is correct and is worth adhering to.

However, do not drive up the motorway at the same rpm for those initial 900 miles. Vary the rpm/road speed throughout the running in period.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D&M's advice is correct and is worth adhering to.

However, do not drive up the motorway at the same rpm for those initial 900 miles. Vary the rpm/road speed throughout the running in period.
OK cheers for that. I do mostly motorway work so I'll just have to keep speeding up and down along the way!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can a petrol owner join in?!

We were struggling to get 43mpg on the commute, little country lanes etc. we then went on holiday and gave it a good long run with various speeds and driving styles. Now it's hit 2000 miles and we are home the trip computer just keeps improving on the commute, currently up to about 46 and still climbing. I thought the days of running in we're in the past but this engine at least certainly seems to be improving daily.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Incidentally, does anyone else notice a difference between the displayed mpg and real mpg? I.E. Filling to the top and checking miles covered, I calculate the actual mpg to be 49, around 10% better than displayed.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Incidentally, does anyone else notice a difference between the displayed mpg and real mpg? I.E. Filling to the top and checking miles covered, I calculate the actual mpg to be 49, around 10% better than displayed.

the computer calculates (overall) for the last 1000 miles actualy 999

1 - 7 of 7 Posts